GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No mention of Halo 2's completion then?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Sat 13/09/03 at 23:34
Regular
This story was done on SR atleast 3 days ago.

Yet no mention...

Perhaps SR misheard something, or someone's having a joke with them...

If not...

Are Microsoft holding Halo back PURELY to catch the end of the first year of subscriptions?
I mean, was the initial userbase of LIVE THAT much???

They'd be better off selling more Xbox's by getting the game out quickly (BEFORE Christmas over here) and getting more subscriptions THAT way!

The nonsecal monkeys!
Wed 24/09/03 at 18:59
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
never played black or white but from what ive seen of fable looks very good.
Wed 24/09/03 at 18:21
Regular
Luckily the developer is Big Blue Box - Peter only has a say about a few things in the game because hes publishing it (well his company is - lionhead)
Wed 24/09/03 at 14:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm wary of Fable because of Black and White.
The hype and game claims sound eeriely familiar, and ultimately Black & White was a let down.
Cool creature, too much time spent micro-managing villagers.

Peter Molyneaux - Has to earn my trust before I'll spend again with his games
Wed 24/09/03 at 06:43
Regular
"8==="
Nothing is truely original, everything derives from something.

There are no original ideas, only combinations of old ideas or ideas you haven't heard before.
Wed 24/09/03 at 00:15
Regular
"BOSE"
i haven't read all these posts here, but Halo had no competition, and everyone's saying Halo 2 is 10x better than the origional, so i doubt Halo 2 will have anything to worry about
Sun 21/09/03 at 21:01
Regular
Jesus Christ. I can't really be bothered anymore.

I may reply later on, but your arguments are pathetic.
Thu 18/09/03 at 23:08
Regular
"Selected"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Besides, it looks no better than KotOR and if you come back to me and
> say it looks better than Deus Ex 2, then it will be YOU that is
> lying. And even if it is the best looking game ever, is that
> groundbreaking? Not at all.

"Looks no better"......This coming from someone who said the graphics in KotOR "far supassed" those of Fable. And who the Hell said anything about Deus Ex 2?? Also, you saying a good looking game is not groundbreaking is, quite frankly, a joke. The jump from 2D pixels on an Amstrad to 8-bit graphics on a Master System wasn't groundbreaking?? The jump from 8-bit to 16 to 32 and beyond, each jump isn't groundbreaking?? That point is laughable.

> Jedi Knight is a FPS with RPG elements (a la Deus Ex), while The Sims
> and Harvest Moon are most certainly types of RPGs. You don't seem to
> have counter-argued very well - if all you can say is "they
> aren't RPGs", then it seems I have proved you wrong.

Hahahaha, my making your choice of comparable games void isn't a good counter-arguement? Like I said if they're not RPG's then they can't be compared. I said before, you can't compare the way you could move land on Populous to the way you will be able, so Im informed, on Fable because they're not the same genre, they're not going to be used to the same effect therefore this is an original concept for Fable.

> Link's reputation DOES affect the game, actually - people treat you
> differently once you're well known. This isn't an original feature,
> and speculating that Mr Molyneux might develop it is no grounds for
> an argument. Evolution has never been the same as revolution.

Im not going to start arguing about the features of other games but to my knowledge, things like character reaction and game ending did not rely on reputation in any Zelda game. Also, It's ironic you're telling me not to speculate when your rubbishing all the new features offered up by Fable saying none will be original. Considering Peter Molyneux has made some of the most original and innovative games in gaming history (he was co-founder of Bullfrog Productions - the Theme series? The Dungeon Keeper games? The Syndicate Wars games? The Magic Carpet games??? - for crying out loud) I'd say that expecting something special is definitely "grounds for an arguement" if his track record is anything to go by.

> What? The fact is - this idea HAS been used before and is therefore
> NOT new. What does it matter if it is in an RPG or not?

It matters because the whole arguement is based on whether these features have been in an RPG or not!!! Jesus - you're just not gettings this. Something like a destructive environment in a FPS does not make that idea totally unoriginal in any game from then on, if this was the case then we'd have no original ideas ever, one concept would be another but with a twist, no game could ever be advertised as being original! I could name similar features to those of Fable, the fact that the main character aged in Magic & Mayhem being one, but that doesn't mean, if the concept is advanced, that the idea is unoriginal. Now I know that Im assuming here that the concept will be advanced but, as explained in the last paragraph about how I feel about Peter Molyneux, it's a safe bet that a new twist will be added and that the idea won't just be copied.

> The point is, you said Fable had an original concept when it clearly
> does not. Now, are you going to admit you were wrong, or will this
> mundane argument ensue?

Now you've just completly made your arguement void - how can I say if im right or wrong if the game isn't even out yet?!? You've proved that you're just arguing your quite feeble points in an attempt to get one over. And you say "mundane" but it hasn't stopped you from posting a couple of big posts.

Rest assured that, on the games release, if all the concepts prove to be unoriginal then I'll be the first to apologise to you but for now, neither of our points can be proved. However, you going against Peter Molyneux, someone with (nearly) decades of years of experience with new ideas and concepts.......well, Im backing Peter.
Thu 18/09/03 at 21:03
Regular
mikelar wrote:
> Look here:
>
> http://xbox.gamezone.com/gamesell/screens/s18924.htm?Num=2
>
> then come back here and say that this game, keeping in mind it still
> has 6 months in development, looks "blocky". I just won't
> believe you, you WILL be lying.

Yeah, I admit, that looks impressive - but I've seen recent, in-game screenshots littered with copius amounts of fog and some less than impressive enemies. Graphics can be erratic - hell, in Rebel Strike some screenshots look photo-realistic but that's not to say the whole game is.

Besides, it looks no better than KotOR and if you come back to me and say it looks better than Deus Ex 2, then it will be YOU that is lying. And even if it is the best looking game ever, is that groundbreaking? Not at all.

> Too right you haven't played many RPGs - Jedi Knight is a FPS whilst
> The Sims (which "aging" system was growing from a child to
> a man in one step, hardly an aging process) and Harvest Moon vaguely
> resemble an RPG depending on your definition of one (although farming
> tomatoes isn't comparable to common RPG features like leveling up).

Jedi Knight is a FPS with RPG elements (a la Deus Ex), while The Sims and Harvest Moon are most certainly types of RPGs. You don't seem to have counter-argued very well - if all you can say is "they aren't RPGs", then it seems I have proved you wrong.

> I never said it plays an important role with the concept, the
> arguement is features never seen in an RPG that make the game more
> original. Again, you're really talking about games that blur
> boundaries like Black & White which contained aspects of a
> strategy game as well. You can hardly compare these games to fully
> fledged RPG's.

You seem to be forgetting the original point - is Fable an original concept? That is what we are discussing. And, again, it seems your only argument is with dodgy genres. Black & White is a God sim, yet the training of your creature has a very RPG feel to it.

> This point is pretty valid (except Zelda - Links reputation in no way
> affects the game) considering neither of us know the full extent to
> how this system will work but as I said "i trust Peter Molyneux
> to fully implement this feature" i.e. I think he'll bring
> something new to the table.

Link's reputation DOES affect the game, actually - people treat you differently once you're well known. This isn't an original feature, and speculating that Mr Molyneux might develop it is no grounds for an argument. Evolution has never been the same as revolution.

> Red Faction?? Jesus, if your going to talk about different genres you
> could say that Populous on the Master System allowed you to alter the
> world around you - again, you can't compare other genres. It's like
> comparing a Punk song to Hip-Hop song, there is no comparison. And
> simply dismissing the point saying "Many of them allow you to
> alter the world around you" proves nothing - you could list some
> examples.

What? The fact is - this idea HAS been used before and is therefore NOT new. What does it matter if it is in an RPG or not?

The point is, you said Fable had an original concept when it clearly does not. Now, are you going to admit you were wrong, or will this mundane argument ensue?
Thu 18/09/03 at 15:03
Regular
"Selected"
Maverick42 wrote:
> mikelar wrote:
> Apart from the fact that, graphically, no RPG has ever looked this
> good? Well:
>
> Hah! That's a joke! The current screenshots look hardly impressing,
> and the amount of fogging plus some blocky designs don't impress me.
> Other RPGs such as the much talked about KotOR far surpass it.

Look here:

http://xbox.gamezone.com/gamesell/screens/s18924.htm?Num=2

then come back here and say that this game, keeping in mind it still has 6 months in development, looks "blocky". I just won't believe you, you WILL be lying.

> - Forge a Hero Based on Your Actions - Age and evolve a hero or
> villain through the actions you choose and the path you follow (only
> KOTOR has played on the feature of a good/bad side in depth, unlike
> say, Baldurs Gate, and thats only just been released)
>
> Making choices to alter your character? How about the entire Jedi
> Knight series? Knights of the Old Republic? Morrowind? I haven't
> played many RPGs, but this idea is hardly new. The aging idea is a
> nice addition, but not original - Harvest Moon, The Sims and others
> have all used this.

Too right you haven't played many RPGs - Jedi Knight is a FPS whilst The Sims (which "aging" system was growing from a child to a man in one step, hardly an aging process) and Harvest Moon vaguely resemble an RPG depending on your definition of one (although farming tomatoes isn't comparable to common RPG features like leveling up).

> - Engage in Intense Real Time Combat - Collect battle scars as you
> duel with a world of cunning foes and deadly creatures (I've never
> seen the lead character physically change through his environment,
> you could get tattoos in Planescape Tourment but you couldn't see
> them on your character)
>
> Yup, this is again a nice feature, but small all the same - and
> little to do with the concept of the game. And yet even so, it has
> been done before - have you played Black & White or it's sequel?
> Your creature appearance changes in a similar way. Your character
> also changes appearance in KotOR, depending on your alignment to the
> force.

I never said it plays an important role with the concept, the arguement is features never seen in an RPG that make the game more original. Again, you're really talking about games that blur boundaries like Black & White which contained aspects of a strategy game as well. You can hardly compare these games to fully fledged RPG's.

> - Build Your Living Legend - Through deeds and actions, build a name
> for yourself across the land (Morrowind is the only game that games
> to mind and even then, is was only a case of doing something
> good/bad
> for someone and the game updates itself so that some NPCs know your
> name - i trust Peter Molyneux to fully implement this feature)
>
> Yes, Morrrowind involves a good element of fame, as does Zelda and
> KotOR. In fact, most RPGs do - the idea in many is to become a
> 'living legend through deeds and actions'.

This point is pretty valid (except Zelda - Links reputation in no way affects the game) considering neither of us know the full extent to how this system will work but as I said "i trust Peter Molyneux to fully implement this feature" i.e. I think he'll bring something new to the table.

> - Explore and Shape a Living, Evolving World - Champion or
> manipulate
> an ever-changing land with competitive and cooperative heroes,
> dynamic weather systems and deformable environments (Ive never seen
> and "evolving and ever-changing land" in an RPG.
> Morrowind
> claimed to have a dynamic weather system but it was shoddy to say
> the
> least, again, i trust Peter Molyneux to invent a decent weather
> system)
>
> Many RPGs have 'weather systems'. Many of them allow you to alter the
> world around you. I will agree, however, that being able to fully
> deform environments, is a rare feature found in few games; I can
> think of Red Faction.

Red Faction?? Jesus, if your going to talk about different genres you could say that Populous on the Master System allowed you to alter the world around you - again, you can't compare other genres. It's like comparing a Punk song to Hip-Hop song, there is no comparison. And simply dismissing the point saying "Many of them allow you to alter the world around you" proves nothing - you could list some examples.

> I've never seen any of these things in an RPG.
>
> Considering you compared each point you made to another RPG, and I
> have managed to counter-attack all you've said, you've either never
> played an RPG - or didn't think when writing this.

I'd like to repeat my comment...."I've never seen any of these things in an RPG" and then point out that you're the one "counter-attacking", comparing the features of RPGs I said to games like Jedi Knight and Red Faction. You also talk about games I made exceptions for like Morrowind and as a grand finale, you talk about a game that's only just been released, KotOR - a brand new game which has only just incorperated some of the points made above.

Also, please don't say things like "I haven't played many RPGs" and then talk about games that are hardly of the genre saying things like *I* didn't think when I wrote what I did.
Mon 15/09/03 at 21:00
Regular
mikelar wrote:
> Apart from the fact that, graphically, no RPG has ever looked this
> good? Well:

Hah! That's a joke! The current screenshots look hardly impressing, and the amount of fogging plus some blocky designs don't impress me. Other RPGs such as the much talked about KotOR far surpass it.

> - Forge a Hero Based on Your Actions - Age and evolve a hero or
> villain through the actions you choose and the path you follow (only
> KOTOR has played on the feature of a good/bad side in depth, unlike
> say, Baldurs Gate, and thats only just been released)

Making choices to alter your character? How about the entire Jedi Knight series? Knights of the Old Republic? Morrowind? I haven't played many RPGs, but this idea is hardly new. The aging idea is a nice addition, but not original - Harvest Moon, The Sims and others have all used this.

> - Engage in Intense Real Time Combat - Collect battle scars as you
> duel with a world of cunning foes and deadly creatures (I've never
> seen the lead character physically change through his environment,
> you could get tattoos in Planescape Tourment but you couldn't see
> them on your character)

Yup, this is again a nice feature, but small all the same - and little to do with the concept of the game. And yet even so, it has been done before - have you played Black & White or it's sequel? Your creature appearance changes in a similar way. Your character also changes appearance in KotOR, depending on your alignment to the force.

> - Build Your Living Legend - Through deeds and actions, build a name
> for yourself across the land (Morrowind is the only game that games
> to mind and even then, is was only a case of doing something good/bad
> for someone and the game updates itself so that some NPCs know your
> name - i trust Peter Molyneux to fully implement this feature)

Yes, Morrrowind involves a good element of fame, as does Zelda and KotOR. In fact, most RPGs do - the idea in many is to become a 'living legend through deeds and actions'.

> - Explore and Shape a Living, Evolving World - Champion or manipulate
> an ever-changing land with competitive and cooperative heroes,
> dynamic weather systems and deformable environments (Ive never seen
> and "evolving and ever-changing land" in an RPG. Morrowind
> claimed to have a dynamic weather system but it was shoddy to say the
> least, again, i trust Peter Molyneux to invent a decent weather
> system)

Many RPGs have 'weather systems'. Many of them allow you to alter the world around you. I will agree, however, that being able to fully deform environments, is a rare feature found in few games; I can think of Red Faction.

> I've never seen any of these things in an RPG.

Considering you compared each point you made to another RPG, and I have managed to counter-attack all you've said, you've either never played an RPG - or didn't think when writing this.

Fable sounds damn amazing, but it is not an original concept.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.