GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CSS help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/06/06 at 22:25
Regular
Okay I'm having a CSS problem with my site, I have a bar with links in "block", at the moment the blocks are aligned on the left. How do I go about centering them in the middle?

Thanks in advanced :)

#block {
float:left;
clear:both;
background-color: #DEDECE;
width: 768px;
height:26px;
border-left: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-right: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-bottom: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
}

#block a {
text-align: center;
width: 90px;
text-decoration: none;
line-height: 26px;
display: block;
float: left;
}

#block a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

#block span {
float: left;
line-height: 25px;
}

<div id="block">
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page1</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page2</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page3</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page4</a>
</div>

Wed 09/08/06 at 16:19
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
A UK domain wont guarantee you recognition as a UK site. Some search engines are quite interested in the physical location of your host too. But other for reasons Hmmm... mentioned you're better owning the uk version of your domain than not.

And if search engines are going to be your main source of traffic, then I'd think about it now in respect of your design. As where you position content and how close it is to the top of the page are all relevant.
Wed 09/08/06 at 16:04
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> The search engines are probably going to be my main source so I
> have to take it seriously if I want to live off this site.

Sounds interesting. What do you see as the main income generator from the site? Are you going to sell a product or rely of advertising? To produce a 'real' income you've hopefully got some good ideas...

Don't forget my cut for the ticker and Garin's for the code help! ;¬)
Wed 09/08/06 at 12:12
Regular
Ah that's good then, I'll probably do that then :) and register some domains on Freeola. Perhaps I could finally win a GAD too :D

Yes this one site is a big project, everything is offline at the moment. I'm just working on the front page and the whole layout of the site while I prepare all the pages of content. It'll have a daily blog and a monthly newsletter/ezine and I've been reading up about how to boost my position in the search engines and google page ranking.

The search engines are probably going to be my main source so I have to take it seriously if I want to live off this site.
Wed 09/08/06 at 11:44
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> Yeah I have 3 domains at the moment, no content on any, unless
> you want to include the turn results from the Quest game :) I
> didn't go with Freeola as I needed something bigger. I'm
> upgrading soon, so those 300 subdomains will come in handy.
>
> My main target audience is global, perhaps America. But if
> people in the UK cant find me on the UK only thing, do you know
> how I can get on their without changing host? Perhaps I can buy
> a Freeola UK domain and put the main page on it pointing to the
> other stuff.

From no content to 300 sub domains! Wow that's some growth...

I've also been with Freeola for 6 years, and must say things have changed quite a bit since then on the domain front - and all in the right direction!

The site you link to below (myanimeguide) has the co.uk version available. Why not register that with Freeola to make sure you get the uk traffic? You have to be careful not to have too much duplicate content etc. or that will upset the Search Engines as well. I guess with a project the size yours appears to be, it's a given that you should have the full set of domain names - otherwise your competitors will register them and use them against you when you become as big as Amazon!
Wed 09/08/06 at 11:11
Regular
Hmmm... wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> Thingie on right right
> hand
> side. looks like a barcode

>
> Is it DHTML? Or CSS? Or javascript layers? Could I give it a
> try? And cjh what do you think about using something like that?
>
>
> Do you mean the show/hide thingie? That's been done using
> flash.

I noticed it was flash but then I got confused when it overlapped things on the page when you press "show" :)

> Machie - surprised you don't use Freeola for your domains - as
> you are obviously a Freeola fan!? Or did I just happen to pick
> the wrong ones?

I use to buy domains from Freeola 6 years ago but I think I was put off because there was a charge or more hassle to transfer domains to my hosting company.

> The sites I was looking at don't have any content, but when you
> get round to adding some, Freeola would help you on the Search
> Engine front. The sites I looked at were all hosted in Germany,
> so any user clicking 'pages from the UK only' in Google etc.
> wouldn't find your sites! You don't get this problem with
> Freeola ;¬)

Yeah I have 3 domains at the moment, no content on any, unless you want to include the turn results from the Quest game :) I didn't go with Freeola as I needed something bigger. I'm upgrading soon, so those 300 subdomains will come in handy.

My main target audience is global, perhaps America. But if people in the UK cant find me on the UK only thing, do you know how I can get on their without changing host? Perhaps I can buy a Freeola UK domain and put the main page on it pointing to the other stuff.
Wed 09/08/06 at 10:26
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> Thingie on right right hand
> side. looks like a barcode

>
> Is it DHTML? Or CSS? Or javascript layers? Could I give it a
> try? And cjh what do you think about using something like that?

Do you mean the show/hide thingie? That's been done using flash.

Machie - surprised you don't use Freeola for your domains - as you are obviously a Freeola fan!? Or did I just happen to pick the wrong ones?

The sites I was looking at don't have any content, but when you get round to adding some, Freeola would help you on the Search Engine front. The sites I looked at were all hosted in Germany, so any user clicking 'pages from the UK only' in Google etc. wouldn't find your sites! You don't get this problem with Freeola ;¬)
Tue 08/08/06 at 20:31
Regular
That's okay cjh I'll have to go through, I probably just did something wrong.

Challenge 1 - I think I might have asked about this many years ago when Geocities used something similiar. You're probably too young to remember their DHTML ad is it?

This is what I'd like to do now :)

Thingie on right right hand side. looks like a barcode

Is it DHTML? Or CSS? Or javascript layers? Could I give it a try? And cjh what do you think about using something like that?
Tue 08/08/06 at 16:04
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
You'll have to forgive me Machie, but I may be wrong (I just wrote up a quick test page and the CSS inherits in to the element fine). Perhaps there are certain CSS properties that don't inherit (or I'm wrong altogether), or like Garin said some bad CSS (or perhaps HTML) code in there somewhere.

Sorry for my mistake.
Tue 08/08/06 at 15:51
Regular
oh I see, I think I tried using span too but it didn't work. I'll have to give it a try again and see if something is wrong. I know tables and CSS can coexist but I do worry sometimes.
Tue 08/08/06 at 15:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Machie, the HTML element <table> doesn't directly inherit any CSS from the likes of body { } p { } a { } etc, so you'll need to define them seperatly, such as table { }.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.