GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vice City is genius...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Sat 07/02/04 at 17:04
Regular
So far I've done 3 things that I've always wanted to do.

1) Gone sick slicing people up with a samurai sword in a shopping center, complete with head severage and blood squirtage

2) Pulled a wheelie on a motorcycle, squashing a police man as I go then making an escape listening to 99 Red balloons with sirens in the background

3) Walked into a crowded nightclub, pulled a meat claver out of my jacket and made mince meat out of the village people

Genius!
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:51
Regular
Very little sperates them, where Vice City lacks in originality (which GTA 3 had) it makes up for with lots more things to do and more intersting features. GTA 3 probably edges in terms of the pure "wow" factor which GTA 3 had in many different places, purely because it was the first to showcase a fully workable 3D city where you get to explose everything it had to offer without falling into the RPG category.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:49
Regular
It's not really worth arguing about - they are both great games, personal preference is irrelevant. maybe the reason I love GTA3 so much is because I haven't played it in so long. I did prefer Liberty City myself, I liked the big wide roads and motorways, whereas Vice City's roads seemed far more narrow and claustrophobic - police chases almost always ended in you getting crushed into buildings, but in GTA3 you could keep them going for ages.

Anyway, Meh!
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:46
Regular
mr sunday night wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where the so called 'ghost island' is in GTA3??
> and how do u get there?

You need to take a Dodo around the back of the third island (I forget it's name - Stanton?). Keep flying, and you should see it in the see somewhere. Be warned though - you can't land there.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:44
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Liberty City was just really bland, with very few really stand out
> areas other than maybe the multistory carpark and a few other places.
>
> Vice City on the other hand is immense. Tons of different buildings
> to go in, including shopping malls, car parks, shops, strip clubs etc
> etc. There's just a hell of a lot more variation and life in Vice
> City. So much has been changed and made better. Such as the way
> people interact with each other, it's not just the odd person getting
> mugged, full size gun battles break out between cops and rival gangs.

This really must be a complete matter of opinion, because I honestly have no idea how you can say that. GTA3, a game I haven't played in about eight months and on just island one I can remember the car crusher, the dock yards, the mafia territory, the china-town district, the police station, the hospital, the long roads to the industrial sector where Joey was. Others too, which I can't really describe. Who cares if you can't go in buildings when the design is this varied and interesting?

Vice, however, I think of and it seems all the same. I think of the shopping malls - squeaky clean places that all just appear the same. Vice felt so much more like a "game" to me, and less of an actual city you can roam around as you see fit. I also thought the gang system was awful in Vice, whereas in GTA3 you had proper relationships between you and the gangs, and gangs and other gangs. The cartels with Uzi's at the construction site, the mafia with shotguns, etc.

I also thought the missions were better in GTA3. I wanted to do them properly - as well as possible - which I didn't quite feel in Vice City. I felt it was just a lot fresher and compelling, and the storyline was much better done - I was actually upset when I had to leave the Mafia.

> I could keep on listing all day, but that'd just be boring. Anyway,
> I'm loving Vice City, I could ride round on a moped all day listening
> to the soundtrack to be honest.

It did have a good soundtrack, but personally, I thought the songs on GTA3 were just as good. And then there was the hilarious Chatterbox station as the icing on a very sweet cake.
Mon 09/02/04 at 16:50
Regular
So Tilta, is this the first time you've played Vice City then?
Mon 09/02/04 at 16:49
Regular
Vice City is class, but the map design was better on GTA3. Having not played either game for almost a year (when my PS2 blew up) I am thoroughly enjoying doing all the missions again.

If you had all the vehicles, weapons, properties to buy, more advanced police and everything of Vice City, only set in Liberty City, I think you'd have perfection.

GTA5 I cannot wait for.
Mon 09/02/04 at 12:26
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
Rickoss wrote:
> Ah, the ghost island.
yes the ghost island, how do u get to it???please
Mon 09/02/04 at 11:51
Regular
Ah, the ghost island.
Mon 09/02/04 at 10:13
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
They both have good and bad points. Vice city looks better and has more to do but GTA 3 is the better area.
Can anyone tell me where the so called 'ghost island' is in GTA3?? and how do u get there?
Sun 08/02/04 at 23:38
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
Compare the two game worlds of GTA 3 and Vice City
> and it's no contest - GTA 3 is a lot more gritty, interesting and
> varied, while Vice City has repetitive buildings and landscapes with
> no real landmarks or memorable moments.

Other than the gritty part, that's the exact thing I'd say but the opposite way around.

Liberty City was just really bland, with very few really stand out areas other than maybe the multistory carpark and a few other places.

Vice City on the other hand is immense. Tons of different buildings to go in, including shopping malls, car parks, shops, strip clubs etc etc. There's just a hell of a lot more variation and life in Vice City. So much has been changed and made better. Such as the way people interact with each other, it's not just the odd person getting mugged, full size gun battles break out between cops and rival gangs.

I could keep on listing all day, but that'd just be boring. Anyway, I'm loving Vice City, I could ride round on a moped all day listening to the soundtrack to be honest.

Nothing like pulling of a drive by on a Harley, then whizzing off to 'Video Killed the radio star' or 'Billie Jean'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.