GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This is what annoys me!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 16:35
Regular
Yes once again about music and once again using Radiohead as an example :).

I just had a look at Top of the Pops web-site to see how Knives Out done... as I don't listen to top 40 on Radio as 87% is cack and well I was drinking lots of water last night. I wasn't expecting a number 1 from it but at least a top 10 if not top 5. Pyramid Song got number 5 even know I prefer Knives Out to it. I think it got number 5 as they had not released a single in ages and was first from album so fans got it for glimpse of new album and B-sides etc.

Anyway it got NUMBER 13 (unlucky for some). Ok, many of you may not like Radiohead and say that it too good for it. This is not about Radiohead, it is about giving credit too where credit is due.

Number 1 this week is song I don't know so I cannot comment on it but I can guess it is some crappy pop number. Second which is last weeks number 1 is Atomic Kitten (were going to be called Nuclear P***y). Cover of somebody elses and probablt took 5 mins to do and then it gets number 1 because all these silly people buy it :D. The number 3... Jenifer Lopez... a song pretending she speaks Spanish. The list goes on.

It really, really annoys me how this crap gets number 1's... so maybe even if pop was taken out Radiohead would still never get number 1 as they are ahead of their time for some peope, and too complicated.

What I like is.... you should only really judge a band I feel to see where their album got to. Most of these pop idots don't have albums as they can only do a few covers and maybe one song somebody else wrote.

Radiohead many number 1 albums worldwide so they rock :D. In saying that a band can also be brilliant but albums don't go brilliant, say their first release etc.

Hmmmm

What I am trying to say is... don't judge a band on how good their song does in charts and at the end of the day who is going to be remembered more Atomic Kitten or Radiohead?

And in saying that I am never going to look at top 40 list agains as it fills me with rage.

Just an extra little note I forgot to add up there ^.

Songs like Fake Plastic Trees... which is excellent got number 20... I could go on forever using many bands and songs and positions but at the end of the day...

POP is talentless and moronic... if you like it fine, your choice. Just don't say they are talented or deserved it or look up too them in any way :D

A thank you
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:38
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
If a lot of people believe in a stupid thing, it is still a stupid thing.

Who cares - I can listen to what I want to so is it worth getting worked up about? Nope. Do you really need the public to approve of your musical taste? Doubt it, so why worry? Why get angry about something that, at the end of the day, makes thousands of people happy? It's not you cup of tea, but then again they probably think you've got no taste in music either. You'd both be equally right too as its all opinions.

The joys of living with free artistic expression...
Mon 13/08/01 at 23:31
Exactly, if you like it then what else matters?

It usually turns out that, if a band is then liked by everybody, they become old hat, nothing special then, and you could move onto something else.

oh, this may please you, didn't paranoid android make it to number 2? I think Karma Police got up there aswell.
Mon 13/08/01 at 23:32
oh and Usher beat 'No surprises' off Number 1.

heh, it makes me laugh.
Tue 14/08/01 at 00:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yeah I knew that mr.neil :D

Needed to make my argument sound better :D

Creep - 7
Paranoid Android - 2 (although they say 3)
No Surprises - 2
Karma Police - 6
Pyramid Song -5

I think.. cheese
Tue 14/08/01 at 19:35
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SHEEPY wrote:
POP is talentless and moronic... if you like it fine,
> your choice. Just don't say they are talented or deserved it or
> look up too them in any way :D

Well this is what annoys me!

I don't think I could possibly disagree more if I tried. Pop music performers are entertainers not musicians and few of them pretend to be anything else.

I look up to them because they have decided what they want to do in life and gone out there and done it. In that respect I also admire bands like Radiohead but I still can't for the life of me see any reason to like their music (answers on a postcard to this forum please - I'd really like to know...honestly).

Look at all the people (most certainly not just 'kids') who say they want to be popstars. How many of them make any attempt whatsoever to achieve their fantasy? Relatively very few.

Whatever you may think of Hear'Say, the Popstars show has shown that there are a people out there who are putting their heart and soul into achieving their dream, whatever that dream may be and whatever you may think of it. How can you possibly say that you can't look up to them for that?

Granted there are also those who were there for less commendable reasons (i.e. to just live like a popstar rather than be one).

Granted awful things like Atomic Kitten happen all too often but you can't say that doesn't happen in every musical genre. No record company is going to sign up an act they don't think will make them any money and the best way to achieve this is to stick with what you know. No doubt record companies are keeping an eye open for bands that could become 'the next (insert band name here)' because of their current popularity.
Tue 14/08/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Goatboy wrote:
And The Teletubbies etc are bad
> songs, can't deny it.

OK I give in. You're right. They are bad. I'm converted.

Radiohead are the best! :)

The Tweenies....now they're something special.....
Thu 16/08/01 at 12:21
Makes me laugh how people write things as pop is cr@p
and radiohead is far ahead of its time...

according to who?

There both poor tastes in music
Fri 17/08/01 at 11:46
add
"in my opinion"
to the bottom of that
Fri 17/08/01 at 18:22
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
DavidD... man where did you learn to spell?
NB it's according to whom, not who
there and they're are two different words.

geez.
Oh yes I nearly forgot, please do not insult Radiohead. You may not like Pop music, and that's fine by me, but not liking Radiohead! What are you playing at?!

Radiohead are visionaries; you should realise that they are one of the most successful contempory bands across the pond in the US. Amnesiac and Kid A have both got to number one over there, beating artists such as Uncle Kracker (I'm assuming he's a favourite of yours).
So what music do you like davidD? Metal? Even if you look to metal then you see respect for Radiohead, take Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Okay he is only metal if you talk about metal in terms of what HMV cram into their metal section, but he said that Kid A was his favourite album of the year. Chino Moreno of the Deftones is a known fan of Radiohead. Radiohead are one of the greatest bands to have emerged from the UK since the Smiths. Yes my friend, they are better than Oasis.
So next time let's all show some respect to those fine men from Oxfordshire. They may not have chart success at the moment (No.13 for Knives Out is a travesty) but one day we will all look back and smile nostalgically at their greatness.
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:02
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Could someone please put into words what exactly it is that they like about Radiohead as I'd really like to be able to understand their appeal?

There are many bands and styles of music out there that I don't like but can still (just about) see how people could enjoy them. People voluntarily listening to Rdiohead just baffles me.

I'm not trying to provoke angry responses, I'd really like to know!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.