GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow'.
Tue 30/03/04 at 03:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No idea what multiplayer is like, because I grew bored of that rubbish years ago on the PC, and playing against headset wearing kids really doesn't appeal.

However - the single player game is absolutely fantastic.
A definite improvement over the original in terms of graphics and certainly in gameplay.
Remember in the 1st how those poxy wall-lights, the tiny bulbs would take a few shots even though you were lined up perfecto? Not any more, even if you don't use the laser sight supplied.
The AI that meant gaurds on the other end of a level knew you had killed somebody way back and alarms went off? Nope.
Just good solid stealth action. And none of your MGS2 crap either.
Because despite the hype, what was that game?
"Check radar, wait, shoot and stuff in locker. Repeat" with endless cut scenes, fixed cameras and preachy moralising (although the politics of this game are slightly suspect to say the least...crush East Timoor Rebels? Er...)

There is much to be said for silently creeping along a darkened corridor, climbing onto a pipe and shimmying across, hanging from your feet and shooting a baddie upside down.

However, I've reached the Indonesia Jungle levels and...oh yes.
Amazing graphics, really puts you in the atmosphere with tall grass that bends and folds as you duck-walk through it, simply incredible. The mist and light effect would do Ridley Scott proud and there's something immensely satisfying about popping up, shooting somebody in the head and ducking back into the pampas grass before anybody knows what's what.
If you wanted MGS2 to be immersive stealth with the minutiae all in place and were left bored with another cut-scene as you walked through a door or simply grew weary of hiding in lockers for radars to go back to normal then pick up Splinter Cell 2.
It's worth it just for the jungle levels alone. Oh, and the train level. And Jeruselam is good fun.

Deus Ex 2 is a bit rubbish though, it has to be said.
Tue 06/04/04 at 20:37
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Oh well then, sorry I didn't realise I was wrong in my opinion on
> what I enjoyed.
> Sorry!
> What other games should I enjoy playing?

Oh the hypocrtical meter strikes full on this one.

> Opinions are like naked pictures of your mum - everybody's got one.

... Ohh right, how highly amusing...
Tue 06/04/04 at 20:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
mattributé wrote:
> Poor. But nice try
> 3 marks for effort.
--------

[URL]http://nastystart.org/images/news/quote10022003.jpg[/URL]
Tue 06/04/04 at 20:19
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Goatboy wrote:
> Opinions are like naked pictures of your mum - everybody's got one.

Poor.

But nice try

3 marks for effort.
Tue 06/04/04 at 20:17
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Yet it still managed to be a far more complete game than the original
> Splinter Cell, not a bad achievement eh?
-------

Oh well then, sorry I didn't realise I was wrong in my opinion on what I enjoyed.
Sorry!
What other games should I enjoy playing?

Opinions are like naked pictures of your mum - everybody's got one.
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:52
Regular
"accidental superher"
splinter cell games were never that long. i remember completing the first one in a day. didn't really surprise me that this one is of similar length.

as for this whole keyboard/mouse and control pad thing...i just prefer keyboard/mouse and i'm not going to try to argue because i know that there just isn't any point.

i bought mgs:twin snakes...and returned it. wasn't really that impressed. they made the boss fights easier. made it mgs2 style...the moves and the fact that you have to wait 20 mins just to play for 5 mins. it's just too bogged down by pointless and boring drivel.
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:38
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Twin Snakes is good, don't get me wrong, but not good enough. Other
> than the graphics, there is no real improvement on a 5 to 6 year old
> game. I was never a huge Resi fan, so I wasn't that wowed by the
> remake, but at least when remaking it, there were improvements to the
> game, as you would expect. Twin Snakes doesn't have that.

That's perhaps a bit unfair.

Brand new cut scenes, versus mode, dog tags, gameplay overhaul (all abilities from MGS2), AI improvement, first person mode and improved graphics, controls and fluidity. It's essentially a director's cut, and there's certainly enough there to make it worth a purchase.
Tue 06/04/04 at 09:37
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I've got, at the most, 2 more levels to do on Splinter Cell, when I just thought I'd done about a quarter of teh game.

Grrr.
Tue 06/04/04 at 06:54
Regular
"8==="
Are the first-person elements in the first the same as the second?
Tue 06/04/04 at 06:52
Regular
Splinter Cell puts all its eggs in one basket. Its a stealth game through and through. The original MGS on the PSONE to this date remains one of the finest games to date which is why they left all of the original in tact for the remake. Better visuals and new cut scenes is all I wanted and to be honest no matter how many other "stealth" games I play none will have the panache and versatility of a MGS game. Stealth, story, twists, decent voice acting, replay value, big selection of weapons, MGS has it all. Splinter Cell on the other hand is just a pure stealth game and when its done its done, very little replay value on offer.
Mon 05/04/04 at 23:19
Regular
"tokyo police club"
MGS didn't entertain me at the time.

Twin Snakes could be worth a purchase after SC: PT, as, apparently, I only have one mission to go on it.

I hope that walkthrough is lying,. however

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.