GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best FPS multiplayer level?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/03/04 at 01:24
"I love yo... lamp."
I was thinking there about the rumour from a few months ago that Halo was to get a re-release and be Live enable or that there would be a Live patch for it. This led onto me thinking about Halo 2, and its multiplayer. It got me thinking about what levels might be kept for the Halo 2 multiplayer. Would they keep any of Halo's multiplayer levels? Rare kept a few from Goldeneye for use in Perfect Dark. Would Bungie do the same? And if so what ones?

But their choices surprised me slightly. Facility/Felicity isn't that good a level in my opinion. It is a bit too biased in the layout. For example, if you spawn up in the air vent, then someone would run up and camp outside the toilets and wait on just a sliver of you appearing so that they could blast you.

Complex was better, sure, it had a few camping spots, but they were exposed ones. It made it a more even level. There were plenty of angles to attack from. Like in the room with the hole in the floor that you could drop through, whilst a good camping spot being near ammo and body armour, it still had an entrance, several windows and a hole in the floor to repeatedly lob grenades through.

My favourite Goldeneye was Archives though. It had two bits you could go down that were dead ends. But as long as you stayed away from them you were fine. Every other part of the level was escapable, if someone was behind you there was always a way out.

Now of course, all these thoughts occured in a whole lot less time than it took you to read this. Next I considered some of the Halo levels and what made them so good.

Boarding Action is one of my favourite ever multiplayer levels. I love it. It is just so open, but with needed bits of cover. Great fun, especially if you and another player have each other covered and first one to emerge gets killed. Sprinting to a portal to get onto the other ship and out of a hail of bullets is great fun.

Another Halo multiplayer fav is Sidewinder. Once again, a huge, epic level. This time with vehicles, which is great fun, especially in teams. There is something about filling a Warthog and driving fast at a bunch of the enemy. Or playing chicken with the Warthogs, only made better if when you crash, your Warthog lands on the enemy as he jumps out his rolling Warthog. Again, the best part of this level is its openness. There are loads of places to get some one from. It keeps matches running smoothly with lots of kills on either side. The only down as it were about Sidewinder is that it is massive and only really comes into its own with half a dozen or so players.

So what are your favourite FPS multiplayer levels? Why do you like them so much? Or am I simply the only one who thinks so much about these things?
Wed 07/04/04 at 16:13
"I love yo... lamp."
That is the thing though, if you did spawn in the air vent you did die. It was too one sided. And because of that I found it a bit on the boring side.
Wed 07/04/04 at 15:56
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Facility on goldeneye was legendry! nothing beat those mass shoot outs in the toilets! someone respawning back in the air vent and the being instantly shredded with a rain of bullets as he dropped down into the cubical! Or placing mines on the locker room door then hiding and watching through the widnwo as someone came to get you only to be splattered!

some of the best moments ever! Facility was THE best FPS level ever...
Wed 07/04/04 at 15:06
Regular
"95% organic"
the first level in Timesplitters rocks hard!
Wed 07/04/04 at 00:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ooo yes - the TS2 level with the bases + the machine gun nests.
Tue 06/04/04 at 00:16
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Oh Timesplitters2 now that you mentioned it One Hit Kills Mexican Mission.

Nuff said.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:43
Regular
A few favourites that spring to mind:

"Archives" - Goldeneye 007, N64.
"Lava Giant" - Unreal Tournament, PC.
"Hanger" - TimeSplitters 2, Multi.
"Blood Gulch" - Halo, Xbox.
"Facility" - Goldeneye 007, N64.

And the one with the offices, stairwells, lifts, etc from The World is Not Enough on N64.
Sun 04/04/04 at 22:15
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Yeah Straf, I have all the cheats too, every difficulty mode, everything. I love Goldeneye so much, just wish there was more, and better (still) multiplayer.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:43
Regular
Ah, but did you go the whole way?

Did you finish it on every difficulty setting and unlock all the cheats?

I did? :-)

I was three cheats off finishing Perfect Dark before I just decided to forget it. :-)

Best multiplayer level?

Goldeneye's was Complex and possibly Perfect Darks too although I did like "the one where you could walk on a glass roof" as well.
Halo's Blood Gulch was good fun with vehicles (Sidewinder being a little too large for just 4 of us).

But picking a best over all? :-S
Sat 03/04/04 at 17:09
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Unbeliever wrote:
> No, License to Kill on the Temple with pistols.
>
> Fantastic.
>
> I'm a dirty Goldeneye dog though. I'be played it so much that I
> memorised the starting points of every level in multiplayer. I can
> still remember them now.

Have you completed the whole game (ie. everything on Agent, Secret, 00, etc.)?

I have, took me friggin' ages but thats how much I lurrrrve that game.
Sat 03/04/04 at 14:16
Regular
huh? archives, pah! it was called Stack! or library if you play the gay version.

best levels:

Stack
facility
Temple
complex

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.