GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best FPS multiplayer level?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/03/04 at 01:24
"I love yo... lamp."
I was thinking there about the rumour from a few months ago that Halo was to get a re-release and be Live enable or that there would be a Live patch for it. This led onto me thinking about Halo 2, and its multiplayer. It got me thinking about what levels might be kept for the Halo 2 multiplayer. Would they keep any of Halo's multiplayer levels? Rare kept a few from Goldeneye for use in Perfect Dark. Would Bungie do the same? And if so what ones?

But their choices surprised me slightly. Facility/Felicity isn't that good a level in my opinion. It is a bit too biased in the layout. For example, if you spawn up in the air vent, then someone would run up and camp outside the toilets and wait on just a sliver of you appearing so that they could blast you.

Complex was better, sure, it had a few camping spots, but they were exposed ones. It made it a more even level. There were plenty of angles to attack from. Like in the room with the hole in the floor that you could drop through, whilst a good camping spot being near ammo and body armour, it still had an entrance, several windows and a hole in the floor to repeatedly lob grenades through.

My favourite Goldeneye was Archives though. It had two bits you could go down that were dead ends. But as long as you stayed away from them you were fine. Every other part of the level was escapable, if someone was behind you there was always a way out.

Now of course, all these thoughts occured in a whole lot less time than it took you to read this. Next I considered some of the Halo levels and what made them so good.

Boarding Action is one of my favourite ever multiplayer levels. I love it. It is just so open, but with needed bits of cover. Great fun, especially if you and another player have each other covered and first one to emerge gets killed. Sprinting to a portal to get onto the other ship and out of a hail of bullets is great fun.

Another Halo multiplayer fav is Sidewinder. Once again, a huge, epic level. This time with vehicles, which is great fun, especially in teams. There is something about filling a Warthog and driving fast at a bunch of the enemy. Or playing chicken with the Warthogs, only made better if when you crash, your Warthog lands on the enemy as he jumps out his rolling Warthog. Again, the best part of this level is its openness. There are loads of places to get some one from. It keeps matches running smoothly with lots of kills on either side. The only down as it were about Sidewinder is that it is massive and only really comes into its own with half a dozen or so players.

So what are your favourite FPS multiplayer levels? Why do you like them so much? Or am I simply the only one who thinks so much about these things?
Tue 06/07/04 at 14:47
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
On Xbox and PC, Blood Gulch and Sidewinder for Halo are pretty much perfectly balanced levels for CTF. Hang 'em High is probably the best deathmatch level.
Fri 14/05/04 at 18:58
Regular
any level in xiii is superb. this is one of he best multiplayer games money can buy. its only 20 quid to! even though an official review said the multiplayer sucked i think it rocks. go 4 player with ai is a total blast
Sat 17/04/04 at 22:59
Regular
"None Stored"
I always loved the Destroyed Village and Stalindgrad in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. But I think one of the new Onslaught maps in Unreal Tournament 2004 may be a new fave.
Sat 17/04/04 at 22:46
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Complex in PD was awesome with 4 humans + bots
Sun 11/04/04 at 12:29
Regular
Harsh one.
Fri 09/04/04 at 11:54
Regular
"Teal'c"
Satan once bashed my head in against a rock. But then God saved me.
I loved God, I loved him soooo much.

But then on further inspection, it seems I fell over on the beach.

:(
Fri 09/04/04 at 03:34
Regular
It CAN happen.

You just have to believe.

Perhaps we should get Forest Fan to support our cause.
He could get Jesus to round up the angels to liase with MS, Nintendo and Rare...

Or perhaps God's ensuring it doesn't happen on Earth so he can keep it as a heaven exclusive... would that incentive make a Christian out of you? ;-D
Thu 08/04/04 at 00:50
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I can, but sadly it'll never happen *cries*
Wed 07/04/04 at 22:34
Regular
Ashman wrote:
> Yeah Straf, I have all the cheats too, every difficulty mode,
> everything. I love Goldeneye so much, just wish there was more, and
> better (still) multiplayer.

A GBA2 version with extra levels, more bonuses, the odd tweak, and most importantly, wireless multiplayer...

Just imagine! ;-)
Wed 07/04/04 at 16:26
Regular
"8==="
nobody lived long enough in my games to camp by the vent. ;)

RCP-90

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.