GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best FPS multiplayer level?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/03/04 at 01:24
"I love yo... lamp."
I was thinking there about the rumour from a few months ago that Halo was to get a re-release and be Live enable or that there would be a Live patch for it. This led onto me thinking about Halo 2, and its multiplayer. It got me thinking about what levels might be kept for the Halo 2 multiplayer. Would they keep any of Halo's multiplayer levels? Rare kept a few from Goldeneye for use in Perfect Dark. Would Bungie do the same? And if so what ones?

But their choices surprised me slightly. Facility/Felicity isn't that good a level in my opinion. It is a bit too biased in the layout. For example, if you spawn up in the air vent, then someone would run up and camp outside the toilets and wait on just a sliver of you appearing so that they could blast you.

Complex was better, sure, it had a few camping spots, but they were exposed ones. It made it a more even level. There were plenty of angles to attack from. Like in the room with the hole in the floor that you could drop through, whilst a good camping spot being near ammo and body armour, it still had an entrance, several windows and a hole in the floor to repeatedly lob grenades through.

My favourite Goldeneye was Archives though. It had two bits you could go down that were dead ends. But as long as you stayed away from them you were fine. Every other part of the level was escapable, if someone was behind you there was always a way out.

Now of course, all these thoughts occured in a whole lot less time than it took you to read this. Next I considered some of the Halo levels and what made them so good.

Boarding Action is one of my favourite ever multiplayer levels. I love it. It is just so open, but with needed bits of cover. Great fun, especially if you and another player have each other covered and first one to emerge gets killed. Sprinting to a portal to get onto the other ship and out of a hail of bullets is great fun.

Another Halo multiplayer fav is Sidewinder. Once again, a huge, epic level. This time with vehicles, which is great fun, especially in teams. There is something about filling a Warthog and driving fast at a bunch of the enemy. Or playing chicken with the Warthogs, only made better if when you crash, your Warthog lands on the enemy as he jumps out his rolling Warthog. Again, the best part of this level is its openness. There are loads of places to get some one from. It keeps matches running smoothly with lots of kills on either side. The only down as it were about Sidewinder is that it is massive and only really comes into its own with half a dozen or so players.

So what are your favourite FPS multiplayer levels? Why do you like them so much? Or am I simply the only one who thinks so much about these things?
Sun 26/09/04 at 16:42
Regular
"Braaains"
The Silent Cartographer level on Halo.
Thu 16/09/04 at 22:27
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Lately Deck 17 in Unreal tournament 2004 is doing it for me...

When I was an Unreal Newbie I hated it though, because everyone else was so damn good on it.
Wed 15/09/04 at 19:05
Regular
"boom boom click"
Put me on the Training ground level on Timesplitters 2 and its all over. Double shotguns and im unstoppable!
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
'Halo' and 'Goldeneye'. Oh, and 'Timesplitters 2'!

Best FPS multiplayer games ever!

*Shoots Comic-Book-Guy*
Wed 28/07/04 at 03:32
Regular
GoldenEye - The Stack with Rockets

Best multiplayer ever.

Second is the facility, with pistols, power weapons or proximity mines.

Library however (stack + basement) was rubbish.

I was totally undefeated at Goldeneye too, spawning in the toilets clearly isn't an imbalance if you have some skill.

It was rubbish in the end though, no one was interested in playing me and so the only multiplayer I could strike up was some loser kid across the street who would always say 'okay, but only if we put paintball on and just run around drawing/writing stuff on the walls'.

To which I was forced to agree, and then just kick his ass.

Didn't like Perfect Dark though. GoldenEye (along with SoA) is a game I would like to see graphically overhauled and re-realeased on every new generation of consoles, with a few extras everytime. It's one of the only old games I still want to play, but I never will because it means setting up the N64 again, replacing broken controllers etc.
Tue 27/07/04 at 14:20
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Halo again, but playing Crazy King in Battle Creek.

Awesome stuff especially when you start off with grenades, it quickly turns into madness.
Tue 27/07/04 at 14:09
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Glodeneye?

Sounds cool!

But Hang 'em High on Halo is superb.
Mon 26/07/04 at 20:49
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
The Faculty in Glodeneye - The one with the toilet, man I wish I still had that game!!!
Mon 26/07/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I played Team Oddball online for the first time the other day, and I think that'll become my new favourite. One member of the team has a skull, which they have to hold on to for some reason, and the rest of the team defends. It's excellent, like In the Line of Fire, and I'm Clint Eastwood and they're John Malkovich. Imagine CTF, but the flag changes position. Fun fun fun!
Tue 06/07/04 at 16:36
Regular
Facility is genius. The amount of times I must have played that level with three mates... ah, good times.

I really hope whoever said XIII has the best multiplayer around is joking, as it really is dire.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.