GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pikmin"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pikmin'.
Fri 23/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
I'm a bit sick of Hitman 2 and Harvest Moon at moment, along with my other currently-played games, so I decided to give Pikmin a quick go and really rekindled my love of the thin, odd looking plants.

I never really remember Pikmin being as good as it is. I always liked it, but returning it seems wonderful, and more of a Nintendo game than Wind Waker and Sunshine. Building up 100's of slaves, racing against the clock to safety... I never really realised how great this is, and despite being a bit sceptical about the 2nd, I'm really looking forward to it now.

RBS is just plain wrong. Not liking this is foolish, it's a true Nintendo masterpiece and, in terms of gameplay, almost faultless (bar a few niggles when trying to seperate Pikmin.)

This is why a bought a GameCube.
Tue 27/04/04 at 09:41
Regular
If you go on Lik-Sang there's a picture of a Game & Watch being carried by some Pikmin. Yay!
Mon 26/04/04 at 23:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
[URL]http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/staff/tempo88/pikmin2h_april8.jpg[/URL] & [URL]http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/staff/tempo88/pikmin2h_april11.jpg[/URL]

This game is looking gorrrgeous. Cubed-3.co.uk just added loads more new yummy screens..
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:27
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The one you see in the sort of secret area of the Landing Site only appears on the 13th day. It's impossible nearly, but when you beat it, you get about 250 worth of capsules.
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:15
Regular
The time limit didn't bother me at all, other than length it worked for Pikmin in every way. With Pikmin 2 I just can't see the same hectic feeling being faithfully emulated.

In my opinion, Pikmin is easily one of the best games out for current-generation consoles. I can see myself returning again and again, probably after the Cube's successor is released.

Anyway, I completed it today, managed to do it in 17 days which is a nice little record. It's odd how three of the really powerful foes that are shown in the ending hardly appear at all, I only saw one while I playing through, that evil, slimy-invisible thing on the Distant Spring, and I don't think I've ever seen the other two. Perhaps they're little teasers of enemies on Pikmin 2, seeing as that green thing seems to be poisonous, and the Albino Pikmin don't get affected by poison.
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
AfroJoe wrote:
> I think the time limit is there so that the game isn't made far too
> easy. To complete the game in a certain (and fairly short) time is
> more of a challenge than it would be if you were just allowed to take
> as long as you liked to find ship pieces. Fair enough some gamers
> don't like being rushed, but I sense Pikmin would be rather dull
> without its time limits.

And that's exactly it. I don't like being rushed. And seeing as without the time limit Pikmin would be reduced to a 4-year olds level then that makes it a game that's not for me. So quit your whingeing, Rickross :-D
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think the time limit is there so that the game isn't made far too easy. To complete the game in a certain (and fairly short) time is more of a challenge than it would be if you were just allowed to take as long as you liked to find ship pieces. Fair enough some gamers don't like being rushed, but I sense Pikmin would be rather dull without its time limits.

Pikmin 2 apparently has longer days and the worlds are meant to be much larger and more packed with enemies, though, so this could indeed turn into one of my favourite games. Judging by the consistently high scores in Japanese magazines, Pikmin 2 should be excellent. If NGC give it a score above 90% next issue, rest assured I'll be pre-ordering as quickly as possible.
Mon 26/04/04 at 19:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
Meh. That's your opinion.

I can't stand it because it's boring and frustrating in equal measures plus it has a time limit, which really hisses me off.

I approached it with anticipation and an open mind, only to find it completely unfulfilling of my expectations, and completely unsuited to my tastes.

So murgh.

[S][I][By the way, I completed Mario World again today. Can't get enough of it at the moment :-D]
Mon 26/04/04 at 13:37
Regular
The time limit wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still would've prefered it without.

It sort of made me feel like I had to rush through the game, and there wasn't really much of a game to rush through.
While it was mindblowingly fantastic, it was almost more like a demo than a game, you know...

Probably the best Nintendo game on the Cube so far.
(not including second parties and Nintendo owned companies).
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:03
Regular
I just managed to kill that second beetle with one attack. The bosses are very, very easy. Now I'm on the final level, on day 17. If I do it in one day, i'll beat my personal best by 2 days. Which isn't half bad.
Sun 25/04/04 at 14:53
Regular
Yeah, managed to beat them easily ocne I figured out what to do. Same with the Forest Navel boss. Up to the Distant Spring now... brilliant level.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.