GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 5 Cube games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/05/04 at 14:26
Regular
Yes, it's been done loads before, but this forum is dead and need some livening up.

Just post you top five GameCube games, and maybe why you like them. I'll start:

1: Metroid Prime
Beautiful, wonderful to play, the bosses are a work of genius and it's a truly timeless game.
2: Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Dringo will kill me for saying this, but I still prefer this to Wind Waker. Technically, not great but a true epic with so much imagination gone into everything.
3: Pikmin
There aren't many games you return to year-after-year to replay, but this is oen of them.
4: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Even I'm surprised this only made fourth place. A true Nintendo masterpiece, even though it was lacking a couple of dungeons and the puzzles and basic game were a bit too easy, still brilliant.
5: Viewtiful Joe
Not mind-blowing at first, but as you play through, master new techniques and become an great fighter, Viewtiful Joe reveals itself as a truly awesome game. Bosses are mighty fine, too.
Sun 02/05/04 at 19:33
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I used to own those games, not anymore.
Sun 02/05/04 at 19:31
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Lou Role wrote:
> Harvest Moon
> Super Monkey Ball 2
> Viewtiful Joe
> Ikaruga.
>
> I only own 4 GC games.
>
> :)

Yet you have reviewed games such as Def Jam Vendetta, Die Hard and etc.

Hmmmmm...
Sun 02/05/04 at 19:30
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Top 5

Zelda: The Wind Waker: Best game on the format at the moment in my opinion. Just as epic as the previous encounter, beautiful, superb, if a tad short. Do I need to say more?

Super Mario Sunshine: No matter what anyone says, this game is brilliant. Okay, its taken a dramatic change from its 64 counterpart but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. This is top.

Mario Kart: Double Dash: The best multiplayer Nintendo experience you are likely to find around at the moment. Even moderately good drivers can give the pros a game when you switch on such options as "Frantic Items". This game is superb, but lacks in single player capability.

Metroid Prime: I don't rate this as highly as some people, I think it is great, epic, and all the rest. It lacks something, insipiration perhaps? I've never fully put my finger on it. Still great.

Animal Crossing: I can't tell you the hours I spent trailing through this game. Its a hell of a lot of fun, more than many give it credit for. You'll be scrambling for every last Bell you can find in this. Should have come out in Europe.

Best Of The Rest

Eternal Darkness: My first of the two games that missed the cut by mere inches for me was this beauty. Mostly overlooked, this extremely appealing horror/adventure is one of Nintendo's strongest exclusive titles, and shouldn't be missed as it is probably the most underrated game on the Cube.

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour: Being one of the lucky ones who imported this nearly a year before its PAL release, I speak highly of this game. Its got all of the brilliance of its 64 original, packed in with new courses, options, characters, and challenges. It even links up with its GBA counterpart to provide connectivity like the last game did.
Sun 02/05/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Harvest Moon
Super Monkey Ball 2
Viewtiful Joe
Ikaruga.

I only own 4 GC games.

:)
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:49
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
1. Super Mario Sunshine
It might not be quite as cutting-edge as one Super Mario 64 happened to be, but what Sunshine is, is an adventure platformer that is easily the best of the current generation consoles. The graphics and colourful worlds are fantastically created, and the plotline, although rather unneccesary, makes for sort of leisurely gaming; not having to rush or anything. Longevity = good as well. Simply top class Mario gaming.

2. Super Monkey Ball 2
I still play this game, and have pretty much constantly since release. It outdoes even Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on the multiplayer scene, and is always the first game AJ and mates play when they are round. The single player is challenge, and the whole idea is generally about as original as it gets. So Monkey Ball = winnUr.

3. Skies Of Arcadia: Legends
I love this, I really do. So long is spent playing the game, yet it never gets boring. Yes, the random battles can get a bit tedious, but without them, there wouldn't be enough EXP points, and so you would lose battles with real opponents. So they are fairly necessary. Well structured worlds, and great plotline.

4. Pikmin
This game is another one of those superb original titles, and as the idea was formed by Shigsy himself, it had to be good. Yes, playing through doesn't take that long, but many gamers (me included) will no doubt play it again and again for years to come... and the Challenge Mode adds depth as well. Plus the fact that you get to through 100 little fiends on a large ugly ladybird helps as well. Yey for Pikminess.

5. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
We all know what Mario Kart games do in the multiplayer area, and Double Dash!! is no exception. Behind Monkey Ball and maybe Conflict Desert Storm, this is my most played multiplayer game. The single player might not be the most challenging out of the racing game list, but at least it is enjoyable for the whole length of it, and doesn't get repetitive. Mario Kart really does pull its weight in multiplayer, though, so buy it for this alone.
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:43
Regular
So you're saying you don't like Mario 64 and Metroid Prime, 2 of the all time greats in gaming, yet in your top five Cube games are Sonic DX and Legends of Wrestling.

Sorry, but you have an awful, awful opinion.
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:41
Regular
1. Metroid Prime

An absolute triumph in game design. Never a dull moment, loads of variation and a huge depth to both the game and the imagination behind it. It starts brilliantly and refuses to let go from thereonin.

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Despite a few shortcomings (namely collecting maps and triforce pieces), Wind Waker has some truly breathtaking moments and the graphics are beautiful. Whatsmore, the combat and play style has been tweaked to near perfection.

3. F-Zero GX

Quite simply the fastest game that I have ever played. A smooth learning curve, decent story mode and a multitude of other extras ensure a good lifespan. Some superb course design and graphical touches also enhance the experience.

4. TimeSplitters 2

What I feel to be the best FPS of this generation. The story might not be up to much, but the single player experience is improved tenfold with a huge number of arcade challenges. And the multiplayer is unbeatable.

5. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Atmospheric, dark, imaginative and original. The insanity effects are superb, as are the puzzles. There's a really decent, character-driven storyline too, and the combat is a surprising amount of fun.
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:28
Regular
"??????"
I own only a few games, but these are my favourite ones.

1: Zelda - Wind Waker
2: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
3: Mario Kart DD!!
4: Super Smash Bros. Melee
5: Star Wars Rogue Leader
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:13
Regular
1. Metal Gear: Twin Snakes
2. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
3. Eternal Darkness
4. Resident Evil
5. Product Number 03

Reasons...

A mixture of personal preference and sheer gaming genius on a grand scale.

Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Resident Evil Zero and Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2 would be in there if it was a top 10 list, sadly though none of those have been played half as much as the above.
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:08
Regular
"Balls"
Mario Kart DD is made for 2 player fun single is OK but not as good as teaming up on one kart with ya mate and doing a grand prix. but Mario Kart 64 is much more fun for 4 player games as the battle rooms are bigger and basicly more fun.

the grafics where great untill the GC came out and demostrated even smoother grafical games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.