GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 5 Cube games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/05/04 at 14:26
Regular
Yes, it's been done loads before, but this forum is dead and need some livening up.

Just post you top five GameCube games, and maybe why you like them. I'll start:

1: Metroid Prime
Beautiful, wonderful to play, the bosses are a work of genius and it's a truly timeless game.
2: Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Dringo will kill me for saying this, but I still prefer this to Wind Waker. Technically, not great but a true epic with so much imagination gone into everything.
3: Pikmin
There aren't many games you return to year-after-year to replay, but this is oen of them.
4: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Even I'm surprised this only made fourth place. A true Nintendo masterpiece, even though it was lacking a couple of dungeons and the puzzles and basic game were a bit too easy, still brilliant.
5: Viewtiful Joe
Not mind-blowing at first, but as you play through, master new techniques and become an great fighter, Viewtiful Joe reveals itself as a truly awesome game. Bosses are mighty fine, too.
Mon 03/05/04 at 12:37
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Eternal Darkness - This is such a beauty of a game. Although I never completed it because of time restraints and lack of sanity.

Conflict: Desert Storm - This is clearly the best Co-op game I've ever played. My mate and I couldn't stop playing this game for about 3 months.

Super Smash Bros Melee - You have fun, then you have Smash Bros....My God, this is truly amazing, I loved the 64 version but this game is easily my most played game ever.

Metroid Prime - Great graphics and fantastic gameplay.

Resident Evil Zero - Better than the first due to the unplayed feel to it....although it seems slightly rushed it does stand out as a great game.
Mon 03/05/04 at 12:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
pimpkin
Mon 03/05/04 at 10:32
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
tphi wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> ..::CGJ::.. wrote:
>
> Super Mario 64
> The graphics are poor.
>
> Super Mario Kart 64
> Its bland, graphics are poor
>
> 1996
>
> Quite. CGJ I you have just lost any respect I had for you.
>
> And Legends of Wrestling..? Puh-leeze.

Indeed, t'was bad enough Sega Soccer Slam getting into somebody's list.

NOTE: I hate that game. A lot.
Mon 03/05/04 at 09:40
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
c'm'on pimpkin is the best (if not the only) stratagy game on the cube,
so i think i will swap wind meteriod prime with pimpkin and that should be about right :D
Mon 03/05/04 at 01:06
Regular
Skanks of Arcadia
Because it's just great.

Super Monkey Ball
Lots of fun, compelling gameplay for multiplayer or alone, and a challenge to keep you going for ages. Just what a light game should be.

Eternal Darkness
I just can't find fault with it. Supurb.

Mario Sunshine
In my opinion, it very nearly matched mario 64.

Pikmin
Could have done without the time delay. It spoiled my enjoyment, feeling hurried into doing everything as fast as possible. And then I finished with ages to spare... :^(

To be honest I struggled to find 5 that I felt were worth a mention. I guess that's because I've lost interest in the cube lately.
Oh well.
Mon 03/05/04 at 00:44
Regular
Current top five (my opinions regularly change)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Limited Edition - Three great games for the price of one? The excellent Ocarina of Time from the N64, it's previously unreleased DD version and the GameCube game The Wind Waker all in one package. Excellent gameplay, excellent graphics, just a tad bit too short, too few dungeons and an easy battle system. It still kept me hooked to my GameCube for more hours than any other game, therefore it's the best.

Resident Evil - Yes, it is a remake. Though thankfully I had never played the Playstation original to ruin my experience of it. Made me jump a few times, but the real spooks came from the atmosphere produced and the way enemies, such as the giant turantulars just seemed to appear from the darkness. Tricky puzzles that took the combined brainpower of my brother and I to complete. A single player game that was played as a team. Excellent.

Super Smash Bros. Melée - Crap single player game but the single player game is only there to get you to work for the extras. Huge choice of characters and stages, plus customisable rules make for an excellent multiplayer experience. As much as the single player is a let down, the multiplayer is what makes it a worthwhile contender for a top five spot.

Super Mario Sunshine - Not really a true Super Mario game, due to a severe lack of Goombas and the water jetpack, but a great side-adventure to the series. Some parts are very tricky but the puzzles, mini-stages and story are all quite good. Super Mario 64 seemed more fun, but this'll do until Mario 128 (should it ever arrive).

Pikmin - It's amazing - the only letdown being the time limit. Thankfully that has been resolved for Pikmin 2.
Mon 03/05/04 at 00:14
Regular
"thursdayton!"
gerrid wrote:
> ..::CGJ::.. wrote:
>
> Super Mario 64
> The graphics are poor.
>
> Super Mario Kart 64
> Its bland, graphics are poor
>
> [B]1996{/B]

Quite. CGJ I you have just lost any respect I had for you.

And Legends of Wrestling..? Puh-leeze.
Sun 02/05/04 at 21:55
Regular
Okay. :-)

1. Super Smash Brothers Melée

Yeah, it's only the N64 version on grease but still probably the best multiplayer game on there and me being a multiplayer man... :-)

And I still plan to use it to kick Dringo's asss on Gamesville! ;-D

2. Metroid Prime

Yeah, I moan about how it doesn't have a third person mode and that Samus is wasted on it, but Retro are only human. As it is, it's so great that those few niggles just stop it from being above and beyond number one.

3. Timesplitters 2

Didn't have the spark to completely blow anyone away but as it stands it's the best all-round game on the Gamecube.
It offers everything, with plenty of style and humour in each case.

4. Pikmin

Great while it lasted. :-)
The sort of game that even I couldn't have dreamed off.
Such a weird stupid idea that's pulled of beautifully.
Proof that Nintendo ARE still the God's of game concept, even if they can't be arssed with full level design no more!

5. Soccer Slam

The most fun football game ever.
Sega's best contribution to the Nintendo Gamecube so far.
Easy to pick up, reasonably deep to master, and loads of vivid characters and features to keep it fun.

Honourable mentioned go to Eternal Darkness, Mario and Zelda (which were quite good, if crap by their predecessors standards) and Animal Crossing.
And any others I might've missed.

I regret purchasing Cel Damage, Smugglers Run, Wreckless, Turok (all were Amazon cheapies) and Mario Kart (I payed full for that one! :'-()

:-)
Sun 02/05/04 at 21:40
Regular
Just started replayign Metroid Prime for the third time... when playing I just wished I was so for the first time. Reliving a brilliant game is never as good after completion, except maybe Pikmin, but it's still absolutely sublime.
Sun 02/05/04 at 20:08
Regular
1. LOZ: The wind waker
2. Metroid prime
3. Eternal Darkness
4. Timesplitters 2
5. PSO: Episode 1 & 2

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.