GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 5 Cube games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/05/04 at 14:26
Regular
Yes, it's been done loads before, but this forum is dead and need some livening up.

Just post you top five GameCube games, and maybe why you like them. I'll start:

1: Metroid Prime
Beautiful, wonderful to play, the bosses are a work of genius and it's a truly timeless game.
2: Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Dringo will kill me for saying this, but I still prefer this to Wind Waker. Technically, not great but a true epic with so much imagination gone into everything.
3: Pikmin
There aren't many games you return to year-after-year to replay, but this is oen of them.
4: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Even I'm surprised this only made fourth place. A true Nintendo masterpiece, even though it was lacking a couple of dungeons and the puzzles and basic game were a bit too easy, still brilliant.
5: Viewtiful Joe
Not mind-blowing at first, but as you play through, master new techniques and become an great fighter, Viewtiful Joe reveals itself as a truly awesome game. Bosses are mighty fine, too.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:26
Regular
Yes, it's been done loads before, but this forum is dead and need some livening up.

Just post you top five GameCube games, and maybe why you like them. I'll start:

1: Metroid Prime
Beautiful, wonderful to play, the bosses are a work of genius and it's a truly timeless game.
2: Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Dringo will kill me for saying this, but I still prefer this to Wind Waker. Technically, not great but a true epic with so much imagination gone into everything.
3: Pikmin
There aren't many games you return to year-after-year to replay, but this is oen of them.
4: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Even I'm surprised this only made fourth place. A true Nintendo masterpiece, even though it was lacking a couple of dungeons and the puzzles and basic game were a bit too easy, still brilliant.
5: Viewtiful Joe
Not mind-blowing at first, but as you play through, master new techniques and become an great fighter, Viewtiful Joe reveals itself as a truly awesome game. Bosses are mighty fine, too.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'm doing a top 10 because 5 isn't enough

1: Zelda: WW
It's Zelda - it's wonderful. There's just something about it that gets me every single time
2: Madden 2004
Easily my most played Cube game. Bursting with options and extras, it's the best sports game in existence. The only reason that it isn't no.1 is because once 2005 arrives, it will become obsolete, whereas Zelda is timeless.
3: Metroid Prime
Wonderful, awe inspiring, equal to Zelda in everything except the fact that you will only play it through once. That's why it loses out to Madden. It's a wonderful experience the first time, but the sheer quantity of back tracking and collecting puts me right off even thinking about playing it through again.
4: Conflict Desert Storm
Best multiplayer game on the cube, without a doubt. Better than the sequel, but only because of the level design. You can get it for £11.99 now, so everyone should own both games.
5: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
I've just played this through for the second time, and it is absolutely wonderful. The story, the atmosphere and even the simple gameplay. This mixed with Splinter Cell's gameplay would be absolutely wonderful.
6: Prince Of Persia
Amazing platforming purity. The fighting gets repetetive and annoying (until you get that sand infused sword - woot) but the whole game plays like Zelda's dungeons mixed with the ethos of Mario, and married to Splinter Cell like control genius.
7: Mario Kart Double Dash
Would be higher if it weren't for the single player lacking in longevity and variation. The multiplayer is superb, especially when people who aren't gamers want a go. Anyone can pick it up in about 10 minutes.
8: Pikmin
You will no doubt all be shocked how low down this game is on my list, but I only just got Pikmin, and before I could finish it for the first time, it was surplanted by Harvest Moon and then MGS. I will get back to it though. It is excellent, but I think I need more time with it.
9: Splinter Cell
I've mentioned this a couple of times, and the only reason that it hasn't placed higher is because the storyline is lacking (in comparison with MGS), and it's ages since I played it, so I'm not so excited about it now. I can't wait for the sequel though, because I do love this game. But once again, it lacks replayability, which is a shame.
10: Super Mario Sunshine
Despite what many people say, this game IS excellent. I played it through again recently, and it has a sense of fun that most serious games just miss out on. It's no Mario 64, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.
Sun 02/05/04 at 15:06
Regular
"thursdayton!"
SR just ate my post because I used the word wh*re. So this is now more abbreviated than before.

1. Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The best game on Cube. Epic. Massive. Great story, great characters, 80+ hours of gameplay, and more sidequests than you can shake a moonfish at.. an absolute joy to play.. mighty mighty fine. The humour ain't too cheasy either.

2. Zelda: Wind Waker.
Stunning to play and look at, this comes a very close second. Classic dungeons, innovative play and a true sense freedom while sailing. Big game, but should have been bigger.

3. Mario Sunshine.
Very enjoyable game, some bits were too easy, but the FLUDD-less warp levels were great. Kept me happy for a long time getting everything.. much to see and do.

4. Metroid Prime.
Plays brilliant, looks brilliant.. First Person Adventuring and Shootin' don't come any better than this. Until Echoes..

5. Mario Kart: Double Dash.
The best multiplayer on Cube. Simple. Mario Kart + 4 Mates = as much fun with my mates as I'm willing to have. If you get what I mean.

Honourable Mentions: TimeSplitters 2, Harvest Moon, XIII, Smash Bros., Beyond Good & Evil.
Sun 02/05/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Pikmin

Original, hugely entertaining and unbelievably addictive. The game feels so natural and even if it is a little short, it's one of those games you can play again and still feel accomplishment.

Super Monkey Ball

This game was a huge favourite in my family with the fun multiplayer and playing one player and completing a difficult level gave you and incredible sense of accomplishment.

Metal Gear Solid

Absolutely incredible in terms of story line and the cut scenes are an unbelieveable experience. The game itself is entertaining if a little short, but with the game making you feel like you're in a movie, it doesn't matter.

Super Mario Sunshine

People thought this to be a bit of a letdown, but I believed it to be as good as Mario 64. The length was just enough and the graphics great. In my opinion a true classic.

Luigi's Mansion

The first Gamecube game I played and still one of my favourite as far as I'm concerned. The game felt like a living cartoon and the vacuum idea is awesome.
Sun 02/05/04 at 16:01
Regular
1: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Even if this game was one of the worst Zelda's ever it would still hit this spot. Luckily it isn't, some really nice changed from the traditional Zelda format keeps the experience fresh.

2: Metroid Prime

I once hated Retro's debut, I now sorely appologise. Gorgeous, original, dark and massive... plus good fun. Microsoft may have Doom, Half Life, Halo and Perfect Dark... but they don't have this.

3: Super Mario Sunshine

It's mario, each level has enough depth and level of gaming moments to keep you coming back forever.

4. Mario Kart: Double Dash

Stunning renditon of the Karting series, brilliant new additions and truly worthy of the Kart name.

5. Soul Calibur II

Utterly wonderful beat 'em up.

Notable mentions: Viewtiful Joe, Harvest Moon, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Pac Man Vs, Pikmin etc... etc...
Sun 02/05/04 at 16:12
Regular
"Plate of glue"
These may not be the best games ever for the Gamecube, but, these are the top 5 of what I own.
(In no particular order)

Sonic Adventure DX : Directors Cut
I really enjoy this. Its got nearly everthing I expect from a Sonic game.
Speed and fun. Thats what Soinc is about. People will probably not like me saying this, but it easily stands up to Mario Sunshine.

Mario Kart : Double Dash!!
This is a really good game. The multiplayer is fantastic. I love all the characters. Being that I have never played a Mario Kart game before, I realise what a rip off Crah Team Racing was to Mario Kart 64

Super Smash Brothers Melee
The concept is unique. This game, for some reason is really exciting and addictive. All it is is characters trying to knock each other off a field,
but, with a little nintendo magic, it works

Harvest Moon : Its a wonderful Life
Who would have thought that a Farming game would be so good?
Plain and simple, this game is easily one of the best games the Gamecube has to offer.

Legends of wrestling
Am I mad? No. This is one of the poorest wrestling games ever. But for some reason, I like it! I don't know why. The gameplay is poor. The computer reverses everything you do, but I like it. (Remember, I have these games, and not things like Skies of Whatever or Zelda WW)

The Legend of Zelda : Collectors Edition
I was never able to play the NES, SNES or the N64, but I really like this. OOT is Very good. MM is ok. Very good.

Some things I have to get off my chest

Metroid Prime
Something not right about this game. To hard? To quiet? Not sure. It does have amazing graphics, but I don't enjoy playing it. Thts just me

Super Mario Sunshine
This game is good. I like it. There is something missing. I don't know what. Its a good game. Thats al it is.

Mario Party 4
It takes so long. All it is is a board game with Ninty Characters. Thats all. I didn't find it fun in the least.

Super Mario 64
Ok, this isn't a GC game but I had to mention it. What a let down. The graphics are poor. Its not fun. Nuff said.

Super Mario Kart 64
I much prefered CTR to this. Its bland, graphics are poor and I just don't find it fun.
Sun 02/05/04 at 16:46
Regular
"bit of a brain"
..::CGJ::.. wrote:

> Super Mario 64
> The graphics are poor.
>
> Super Mario Kart 64
> Its bland, graphics are poor

[I][B][U]1996
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:08
Regular
"Balls"
Mario Kart DD is made for 2 player fun single is OK but not as good as teaming up on one kart with ya mate and doing a grand prix. but Mario Kart 64 is much more fun for 4 player games as the battle rooms are bigger and basicly more fun.

the grafics where great untill the GC came out and demostrated even smoother grafical games.
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:13
Regular
1. Metal Gear: Twin Snakes
2. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
3. Eternal Darkness
4. Resident Evil
5. Product Number 03

Reasons...

A mixture of personal preference and sheer gaming genius on a grand scale.

Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Resident Evil Zero and Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2 would be in there if it was a top 10 list, sadly though none of those have been played half as much as the above.
Sun 02/05/04 at 17:28
Regular
"??????"
I own only a few games, but these are my favourite ones.

1: Zelda - Wind Waker
2: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
3: Mario Kart DD!!
4: Super Smash Bros. Melee
5: Star Wars Rogue Leader

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.