GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Britney Spears and Boy Zone are our Musical Saviours"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/07/01 at 16:22
Regular
Around in the fifties, though really exploding onto the scene in the Sixties, there have always been ‘Bubble-Gum’ pop groups.

Though the template for the manufactured group is often attributed to ‘the Monkeys’ with their infamous ‘Looking for 4 Crazy Guys’ newspaper ad. There had, for a long time prior to the first appearance of those musical apes been many, many groups whose music, image, action, had been conceived and controlled by a music companies producer.

These two aspects (Bubble Gum Groups and Hard-Marketing) are often singled out as the two greatest evils in the current state of music. Masterminded, over-seen and controlled by the all consuming evil of the Multinationals of the Music Industry… Fabrication trends, making (and breaking) groups, almost abusive and brainwashing marketing techniques, all in the name of capitalism…

Then again…

Through these hard marketing techniques, pop music has become a standard entity within our everyday lives, our culture. The British and Northern American cultures especially…. Its near-constant presence is noticeably absent in many of the worlds other nations, even throughout our neighborouring cousins in Europe.

This situation can be further illustrated by the dominating presence of the majority of the music industry being based in the US and the UK.

It also allows for an almost impossibly wide range of fabricated pop groups to consistently sell themselves, their brand name soft drink, clothes, crisps, pretty much anything, and everything. With over sexed teenage girls, and clean-cut a-sexual males bestriding our screens with cheesy dance routines, miming to either re-hashed pop favourites, of badly written new tunes. So similar are these groups, that should an interchange of members occur, probably no one would notice, not least they’re young teen and pre-teen following.

Although, there is a reason for me typing this (other than slagging off the music industry, which is always fun)

It is exactly because of the enormity of the industry, fuelled though it is by the popular music of today, that other styles of music are able to flourish.

Now, I’m talking about pretty much every other form of music here, although there are some exceptions.

Though, I am purposely ignoring the currently trendy ‘alternative’ music (I think Nu-Metal fits in here) which is, itself, though a lesser evil than standard/’pure’ pop, is just as driven by marketing, controlled just as much by industry execs, and is more dangerous in that fans often consider themselves to have a better taste in music, to be more of a connoisseur… NOT listening to POP… which makes them much easier targets (none so blind and all)

I am talking about pretty much all music, I’m going to refer, primarily to that music which has ‘cult’ following, which is small enough to be unknown to the Pepsi Chart watchers, but big enough to be known by people in Glasgow, and London. Including that American band no one else has heard of but are fantastic and have their own sound. Exactly the music buffs like to talk about… the music people who complain about pop music revere… This music is around ONLY because of pop music, only because Britney Spears, Hear Say and Spice Girls sell well…

Where I’m coming fro, is that the size, of the music industry is so large that an enormous variety of tastes can be accounted for. That band in America that no-one else has heard of, only found its way over here, through a friend, who read a mag, or picked it up on his visit to the states last year, is only known because of the scale of the industry, its intention to make money from anything is the only reason you could pick up their album in the local record shop franchise.

For a small band to be able to tour, and known by a select few from lands end to John’o’Groats, can do this only because of the popularity of music to the populous, and its ever present snappy jingle based sound which we are subjected to from before our birth.

It’s because of the all-encompassing music industry, which creates a demand for music by the masses, a desire for others to create music.

If the industry wasn’t around, a far fewer number of artists could afford to present themselves on a level greater than locally or Countywide. Only the mass popularity music could afford to be heard across the UK. With only THE (read Britney, N’Sync) most popular bands being able to be big on both sides of the Atlantic.

There would be FAR fewer bands, even fewer that had influence by musicians who sold few albums, but affected many.

Anyone disagree?
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:38
"I love yo... lamp."
No I do not disagree. I had not thought of that before but it is right. My favourite band is Bon Jovi, they are a big band and could support touring etc, but other smaller bands that I like could not. Feeder are not exactly popular sellers are they? But Briney is very nice anyway and that is a good enough reason for her and other females to be around.
Mon 09/07/01 at 18:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
asrogktjusaetg wrote:
> Seeing as this whole thread is disgustingly pretensious

Well... Thanks for the diplomatic intro...

the only
> thing I have to say is that NO ONE has the right to knock pop music
> is it is by definition popular music.

This a part of was what I'm trying to get across in the post...

Fair enough, the masses are
> a$$es etc, but for me to look down on pop music would be to trade in
> a dire attempt to make my views more important than others.

It seems odd that you feel confident enough to look down on people, but are angry that someone should question the music industry

Who
> cares if some kid gets off on listening to Hear'Say? They're having
> fun and listening to what they want to so why preach Hendrix and the
> Doors to them? Sure, at the moment I'm in to Mull Historical
> Society but there is no way I can say they are "better"
> musicians than, say, Britney Spears. Why? It all opinion and
> everybody opinion is just as valid as someone elses.

I'm not doing any of the above...

look... Altough your opinion is perfectly valid... I would suggest you re-read the post... it is, in some respects attempting to present the idea your putting forward... Though thats not the argument I'm trying to make.
Mon 09/07/01 at 18:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Seeing as this whole thread is disgustingly pretensious the only thing I have to say is that NO ONE has the right to knock pop music is it is by definition popular music.

Fair enough, the masses are a$$es etc, but for me to look down on pop music would be to trade in a dire attempt to make my views more important than others.

Who cares if some kid gets off on listening to Hear'Say? They're having fun and listening to what they want to so why preach Hendrix and the Doors to them? Sure, at the moment I'm in to Mull Historical Society but there is no way I can say they are "better" musicians than, say, Britney Spears. Why? It all opinion and everybody opinion is just as valid as someone elses.
Mon 09/07/01 at 11:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yes

I love him.
He's my favourite singing drummer
Mon 09/07/01 at 11:10
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
I am of course,
> qouting from American Psycho.

I book I REALLY wouldnt advise reading on the Tube to work...

I would rather force my face tbrough a
> tennis raquet than listen to that MOR pap)

I'll take that as a yes then? :)
Mon 09/07/01 at 11:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Armitage Shanks wrote:

Then I suspect you enjoy listening to, and very much
> admire Phil Collins..

I find it rare that an artist can approach the sensibility and melody of Mr Collins. His work on Sussudio has yet to be appreciated.

(I am of course, qouting from American Psycho. I would rather force my face tbrough a tennis raquet than listen to that MOR pap)
Mon 09/07/01 at 10:57
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
> Actually, it was a lyric from Faith No More "Land of
> Sunshine".

Oops... sorry man, straight over my head there :)
Mon 09/07/01 at 10:56
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
I sing all the time, I suck at it
> (being a drummer)

Then I suspect you enjoy listening to, and very much admire Phil Collins..

no?

:)
Mon 09/07/01 at 10:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Actually, it was a lyric from Faith No More "Land of Sunshine".

"Hmm, interesting but tell me, do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Life to you is a dashing bold adventure
So sing and rejoice!
Sing and rejoice!"

(He got the lyrics for that song from fortune cookies and a Scientology Examination for new members)

I sing all the time, I suck at it (being a drummer) but I dont care.
People can laugh and point, dont mean a thing to me.
Mon 09/07/01 at 10:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
> *strokes beard and looks at his many important theories*

Hmmm
> yes, but tell me do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Depends... If I'm alone, then I may sing... However, if theres someone else in the house, then I'll probably make noises, which I hope recognisably approximates the sound I'm trying to make...

(phew!... didnt respond to the obvious double-entre possibilities of GB's post) :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.