GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 DVD (AGAIN)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/06/01 at 10:04
Regular
I am currently, like everyone else it seems experiencing severe lip-synch errors on my ps2 when playing dvds.

I read somewhere that generally dvd players suffer fewer lip-synch issues when using the digital output directly to an av amp.

I am currently running an analogue sound output through my prologic tv, but don't have a digital amp to prove or disprove this....can anyone confirm that they have tried DIGITAL AND ANALOGUE methods on their PS2 getting different results?

I'm gonna phone SONY today to see if they'll replace it for me.....there's not ONE disc where I don't have lip-sync problems!!!!

I'm one of those people who felt that the DVD playback was a major reason for buying ps2 (not having a dedicated player), but it just don't work!
Tue 19/06/01 at 07:54
Resevilfan wrote:

> and people
> are forgetting that the <>.

Unfortunately, Resi, it's a console that was marketed as having dvd movie capability and my one simply isn't up to the job.

would you put up with a car stereo where the radio worked but the "additional" feature of a cd player did not play any of your cd's properly? I think not.
Tue 19/06/01 at 07:49
thanks for the replies, guys;

I spoke to Sony last night and they suggested that I try my discs on another machine.

I will do this and if the same problems DO NOT occur then I'll be onto them again next week.

My mate has just recently bought his ps2 so hopefully it will prove a good comparison, if his has the latest drivers in.

Sony suggested that it could possibly be a driver problem, and then said I should look out for DVDs with a "ps2 compatible" label on......what a cop-out!

still, I daresay they'll be getting a call next week; my machine's playback is totally unacceptable.

They also seemed to suggest that the diagnosis mode wouldn't do much to help....

In the meantime good ol' VHS is a lot less frustrating, if a little fuzzy.
Mon 18/06/01 at 20:20
I've had a faulty PS2 with the version 1.20 driver and it had no problem with lip sync, I have a lot of the discs people are mentioning like MI2 etc The problem was nothing DVD related but SONY swopped it for a new machine ( I was within 28 days of purchase so got a new one ) which had the 1.30 driver. Both machines had no problem once digital was set to off so maybe its some kind of setup problem.
Mon 18/06/01 at 17:09
Regular
"Back For Good"
it does work and it's a good one too,except for the lip sync problem which is stable if you put the diagnosis on it's fine and when you finally find out how to ajust the ratio it's perfect.

and people are forgetting that the <>.
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:44
Regular
I did have a problem with my PS2, but with the games playing side and I had my unit exchanged and I haven't had any problems with that either, so...
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:41
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Bonus wrote:
> Why?? Who even knows what difference it made???

I presume this was aimed at me??

If so then here's my answer :

I think you only need to look through this forum to see how many people have had problems, yes I think you are very lucky that your machine hasn't had any problems and I hope that in 5 years time that it is still working A1!

If on the otherhand your machine starts having lipsynch problems the day after your guarantee runs out and Sony say sorry mate you can't have a replacement then your really gonna be p***ed off! True or False?

Why would Sony even bother to put a new driver in the PS2 if it wasn't going to make any difference????? That's the question that Sony should answer!
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:33
Regular
Why?? Who even knows what difference it made???
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:32
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
davey(was_dave) wrote:
>I am currently running an analogue sound output through my >prologic tv, but don't have a digital amp to prove or >disprove this....can anyone confirm that they have tried >DIGITAL AND ANALOGUE methods on their PS2 getting
>different results?

I'm getting on Wednesday the Creative Labs 3500 sound system from SR and will let you know about the Digital performace, I've had the lip synch problem but tried the old triangle trick at the start and haven't really seen it since although I have been playing games most of the time just recently.

I'm a bit annoyed with Sony over this and didn't know that they'd upgraded the drivers since release date. You'd have thought they'd have contacted all the people who bought on that day and offered a free upgrade/replacement!
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:25
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I though all early PS2s had the lip sync trouble. The magazines said as much.
Mon 18/06/01 at 15:52
Regular
Why, oh why, do I have a PS2, bought on launch day, which does not have any lip-synch problems whatsoever. If it was a driver issue, all machines would suffer the same problem!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.