GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controllers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 18:06
Regular
Controllers have been around for years in all shapes and sizes and I'm writing this to show which is the best one and why.

Binatone
->circle for movement (simple)

Atari
->Joystick with one button
(good enough for the games it had)

Nes
->Directional pad-start/select-2 buttons
(very nice,D pad is easy to roll you thumb on, excellent design)

Master System
D pad was pretty bad, other buttons were OK.

Snes
D pad-Start/Select, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons
(excellent)

N64
->D-pad,analog stick, start,6 face buttons,2 shoulder ,1 trigger.
(Awful d-pad, analog stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like the old zip sticks,good underneath button though,not for everybody.

Playstation
->d-pad,analog,Start,Select,4 face buttons,4 shoulder,2 analog buttons (L3,R3)
Excellent D-pad,buttons are all very easily accesible and best design for a controller.

Dreamcast
D-pad,Analog,4 face buttons plus 1, 2 triggers.
Excellent analog and dpad,best Sega controller ever.

Playstation 2
Update of the PSone but with complete analog buttons that can tell difference of 256 levels of pressure,Analog is incredibly sensitive, dual shock is more accurate.I hear a force feedback controller is coming soon.Best ever.

Gamecube
from what i've seen of this controller it has a very nice analog stick which is small so it's easier to handle,looks good too.

Xbox
This just rips off everything before it and looks unoriginal and cheap.

Can't remember the saturn's or mega drives.

which is your favourite controller of all time?
Sat 09/06/01 at 21:58
ResidentEvilFan commented on the N64 controller:

"analog stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like the old zip sticks"

In reply if it isnt a true analog pad then its very good.

My favourite pad is probably the N64 pad, as I hate the new playstation Dual Shock Pads (Is there any need for two analog sticks?).

Other than that the six button Megadrive pads (very similar to the Saturn Pads) were really good. The Snes Pad was good however the L button was a pain to use in games like Streetfighter2 hence the preference for the Megadrive pad.
Sat 09/06/01 at 20:36
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I posted this topic a while back (although my version went into a bit more detail as to what was good/bad and why) and I decided on the PS analogue pad came out tops.
Sat 09/06/01 at 20:21
Regular
lol I knew you were gonna say the Playstation's controller is the best!

After all those bias posts in the N64 forum ages ago it shows you're still as biased as you were then!

Here's what I think of the controllers:

N64: Decent controller. Not perfect because of the poor symmertry when using the analogue stick. The D-pad is hardly used so it's ok that it's out of the way. The C-buttons are great directional keys when using the analogue stick for choosing angles of play.

Dreamcast: I can't say much about it having not used it much. It did feel a lil odd playing though.

Megadrive: Feels cheap, wierd shape, but is ok.

SNES: Great design (Infact the PLaystations controller was based on it). All buttons in easy reach. A lil bit small for adult hands though...

NES: Very poor design, however it was the first in a new age of home gaming!

PSO/PS2: D-pad a bit cheap cos it's under the controller and doesn't stick out at all. Basically because Nintendo patented the D-pad so no other company are allowed to use the same design. The 4 action buttons feel the same as the SNES. The 4 shoulder buttons are a lil confusing....

Gameboy: D-pad a lil slippery. But the buttons are well placed for 8-bit action.

GBC/P: D-pad and buttons smaller. Harder to use. Start and Select are in a different position which does make a difference when you want to do a quick reset or pause.

In my opinion the SNES controller is the best. It's still used today (3rd Party PC controllers and Playstation/2 contrllers) and was easy in the hands.
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:34
Why didn't you just write in my ' it's all in the wrist 'topic...
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
My favourite controller? It's the N64 one at the moment.

I can understand why you didn't like the stick because it can take some getting used to switching from the tall N64 ones to the smaller PS/DC/GC type ones.

As for controllers of the next gen consoles, they all are more or less the same now.

They have the basic pattern of 2 analogue sticks (one on each side), a D pad on the left hand side, 4 buttons on the right hand side and some shoulder buttons.

They all follow this trend. Personally, I think that this is because it's more or less the best you're going to get for controller design. It's been made so you can do as many things with it while at the same time, it's fairly simple and cheapish to make.

This is actually a good thing. It'll make it easy for devellopers to make games for all systems instead of having to redesign the control system for every system.

I think that devellopers have the perfect pad, now we just have to see what they can make of it. I can imagine loads of great control setups that can be done.

The same way most systems have copied the Snes set-up in pad design, I think that this "2 analogue stick, D-pad, 4 button + shoulder buttons" set-up has become the new standard for controller design.
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:20
Regular
"You've upset me"
M16 wrote:
> PS2's one.

I'm confuddled!
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:14
Regular
"Whatever!"
Agree with the PS2's controller!!
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
N64
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:10
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
PS2's one.
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:06
Regular
"Back For Good"
Controllers have been around for years in all shapes and sizes and I'm writing this to show which is the best one and why.

Binatone
->circle for movement (simple)

Atari
->Joystick with one button
(good enough for the games it had)

Nes
->Directional pad-start/select-2 buttons
(very nice,D pad is easy to roll you thumb on, excellent design)

Master System
D pad was pretty bad, other buttons were OK.

Snes
D pad-Start/Select, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons
(excellent)

N64
->D-pad,analog stick, start,6 face buttons,2 shoulder ,1 trigger.
(Awful d-pad, analog stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like the old zip sticks,good underneath button though,not for everybody.

Playstation
->d-pad,analog,Start,Select,4 face buttons,4 shoulder,2 analog buttons (L3,R3)
Excellent D-pad,buttons are all very easily accesible and best design for a controller.

Dreamcast
D-pad,Analog,4 face buttons plus 1, 2 triggers.
Excellent analog and dpad,best Sega controller ever.

Playstation 2
Update of the PSone but with complete analog buttons that can tell difference of 256 levels of pressure,Analog is incredibly sensitive, dual shock is more accurate.I hear a force feedback controller is coming soon.Best ever.

Gamecube
from what i've seen of this controller it has a very nice analog stick which is small so it's easier to handle,looks good too.

Xbox
This just rips off everything before it and looks unoriginal and cheap.

Can't remember the saturn's or mega drives.

which is your favourite controller of all time?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.