GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controllers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 18:06
Regular
Controllers have been around for years in all shapes and sizes and I'm writing this to show which is the best one and why.

Binatone
->circle for movement (simple)

Atari
->Joystick with one button
(good enough for the games it had)

Nes
->Directional pad-start/select-2 buttons
(very nice,D pad is easy to roll you thumb on, excellent design)

Master System
D pad was pretty bad, other buttons were OK.

Snes
D pad-Start/Select, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons
(excellent)

N64
->D-pad,analog stick, start,6 face buttons,2 shoulder ,1 trigger.
(Awful d-pad, analog stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like the old zip sticks,good underneath button though,not for everybody.

Playstation
->d-pad,analog,Start,Select,4 face buttons,4 shoulder,2 analog buttons (L3,R3)
Excellent D-pad,buttons are all very easily accesible and best design for a controller.

Dreamcast
D-pad,Analog,4 face buttons plus 1, 2 triggers.
Excellent analog and dpad,best Sega controller ever.

Playstation 2
Update of the PSone but with complete analog buttons that can tell difference of 256 levels of pressure,Analog is incredibly sensitive, dual shock is more accurate.I hear a force feedback controller is coming soon.Best ever.

Gamecube
from what i've seen of this controller it has a very nice analog stick which is small so it's easier to handle,looks good too.

Xbox
This just rips off everything before it and looks unoriginal and cheap.

Can't remember the saturn's or mega drives.

which is your favourite controller of all time?
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:37
Regular
"Back For Good"
-->first off i'm not against nintendo for all you people who said i was, i just hate people who don't know any different, the people who just say "PS is full of squares,look at the graphics on the 64" it's done me head in for about 4 years and i've got a ps2 now and the debate is over.

-->is there any need for 2 analog buttons
Probabably not in most games but in Quake 3 and Timesplitters one controls your movement and the other is your view.so in some cases yes
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I hate infa-red controllers. If you move them you are screwed. Also, what if someone walks in the way?

They also have a slower response time than cables.
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:03
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
THe GC will have the BEST controller and being able to wander around your room or something or walk over to pick something up on the other side of the room you dont have to worry aout wires it will be a bit lighter, comfortable and just feel better!
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
zeldapro wrote:
> Nah it will never beat NINTENDO!

The N64's pad was just plain confusing. You can't use the D-pad, buttons and stick at the same time. With the PS2, you have easy access to 8 buttons, the D-pad AND the 2 analog sticks at the same time.

I also felt the sticks were cheap.
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Batistuta wrote:
> I love the n64 pads the most also as the seem to fit in my hands
> perfectly and all the buttons are very easily accesible. The d-pad
> isnt very important anyway as it isnt used on all the games and
> sometimes isnt used at all. Personally prefe it over the playstation
> pads which i find to be just a bit too small

Yes, the originals were far too small. The Dual Analog ones were far too big.

The Dual Shocks were much better: Smaller than the Dual Analog, and heavier, which was a good thing.

The Dual Shock (PS2) was the best, though. Same size, but a tad lighter. Perfection.
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:58
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Nah it will never beat NINTENDO!
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The MegaDirve's rolled very well, but was quite unresponsive.

Best controller: PS2, by an astoundingly long way.
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:49
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah the handles are a tad to stubby.

and the R1 and L1 I find a little uncomfortable anyway (to the original message) the PS2 controller is exactly the same shape as the PS1 so how can you say its better or fab whent he PS1 is good!
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:47
Regular
I love the n64 pads the most also as the seem to fit in my hands perfectly and all the buttons are very easily accesible. The d-pad isnt very important anyway as it isnt used on all the games and sometimes isnt used at all. Personally prefe it over the playstation pads which i find to be just a bit too small
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:42
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Mine is the N64's it fits my hands perfectly and also this PC one I have is very good and easy to use.

And I expect the GC one to be better too!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.