GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controllers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 18:06
Regular
Controllers have been around for years in all shapes and sizes and I'm writing this to show which is the best one and why.

Binatone
->circle for movement (simple)

Atari
->Joystick with one button
(good enough for the games it had)

Nes
->Directional pad-start/select-2 buttons
(very nice,D pad is easy to roll you thumb on, excellent design)

Master System
D pad was pretty bad, other buttons were OK.

Snes
D pad-Start/Select, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons
(excellent)

N64
->D-pad,analog stick, start,6 face buttons,2 shoulder ,1 trigger.
(Awful d-pad, analog stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like the old zip sticks,good underneath button though,not for everybody.

Playstation
->d-pad,analog,Start,Select,4 face buttons,4 shoulder,2 analog buttons (L3,R3)
Excellent D-pad,buttons are all very easily accesible and best design for a controller.

Dreamcast
D-pad,Analog,4 face buttons plus 1, 2 triggers.
Excellent analog and dpad,best Sega controller ever.

Playstation 2
Update of the PSone but with complete analog buttons that can tell difference of 256 levels of pressure,Analog is incredibly sensitive, dual shock is more accurate.I hear a force feedback controller is coming soon.Best ever.

Gamecube
from what i've seen of this controller it has a very nice analog stick which is small so it's easier to handle,looks good too.

Xbox
This just rips off everything before it and looks unoriginal and cheap.

Can't remember the saturn's or mega drives.

which is your favourite controller of all time?
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
No no NO! Reply to my post I thought hard for that post. I bet no one even read it. All my hard work wasted. Damn you Damn you. Oh by the way go read my CBFD review.
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:50
"possibly impossible"
I'll have to try it then. :-)

The Saturn 3D pad, the one that came with Nights, was one of my favorite, mind you, that could just be because I played Nights far too often!

The Atari joysticks with the single red button are probably my least favorite. The concept of a joypad that was so unresponsive that you had to run into it with a truck just to move your character to the left did not appeal to me. Nor did the fact that it was more fragile than Doris fragile, the fragile woman, head of fragility at fragile university.

Who comes up with these ideas? Was there some sadistic designer at Atari that just snapped one day and created this monster, or was it a planned effort by the keyboard liberation front to get everyone using keys again?
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:46
Regular
"Back For Good"
why do people keep replying to this dumb topic,i don't know why i wrote it but it's all gibberish.
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:44
your right there
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:43
Regular
MS Sidewinder Gamepad doesn't!!
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:42
"possibly impossible"
I know what you mean. Mind you, no-one has invented a pad that doesn't make your hand hurt after 2 hours play...
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:37
I have a soft spot for the DC pad,it may be a reformed N64 pad,but it is so snuggly in my hand
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:36
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I havent used them much but i thought the DC pads were really flimsy and plasticy. the N64 3 handle jobs were really silly.

Sony pads are easily the best. (in my completely unbiased opinion...)
Mon 18/06/01 at 16:20
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Ok thi has nothing to do with the best pad or anything but it is a new idea for a controller that if combined with someone elses idea it would be brilliant. Sorry by the way if the idea I am using is yours.]

What is it then? Well what it is is a pad that has the ability to heat or make your hands cold. Why you may say well just think of this. Say you are playing Zelda GC and you walk into an ice cavern wouldn't it be cool if you pad started to get cold o give you a real feeling of what Link is. Or maybe this could be used if you walk into a fiery volcano like in OoT. I personally think that this would be brilliant. Might make your hands sweat a bit though in the hot parts of the game.

What else? Well someone has mentioned an idea for a pad when the buttons can adjust how hard you have to press them. Say you were hiting something hard, the button would be stiffer than normal making you push harder to hit it. The same thing happens when you hit something soft although obviosly the button would be easier to push in.

Using both of these ideas a company could make the most interactive controller the world has ever seen.

(;o) Happy I mentioned this as I have been wanting to for ages.
Mon 11/06/01 at 00:25
Regular
turbonutter wrote:

The N64's
> pad was just plain confusing. You can't use the D-pad, buttons and
> stick at the same time.

Thats becasue there would never be a need to use all the buttons at the same time. But there are certain games on the N64 that take use of all these buttons, The THQ wrestling games. you use the D-pad to move around and then you use the analogue stick to do taunts so you can go onto specail and perform the wrestlers finishing move. Also this game uses the C buttons and the shoulder buttons. it is a fine example of how the pad is superior.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.