GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking (thread closed)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/07/05 at 20:53
Regular
"Not a Jew"
This isn't another "omgay, smokin is bad 4 u!!!" but more of a question to anyone here who smokes - is it just the cardboard chemical crap from the UK/US companies or more rarer exotic stuff like Giantes? Not a smoker myself but I'd like to know.
Mon 18/07/05 at 13:29
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Strafio wrote:
> Hehe! Charming as always. :-)

Oh, you know me...patient to a fault.

>
> Anysway, in reply to Munns point, not sure about smoking but
> excessive drinking is kind of "treated" in the way self
> harm and the like is.
> I guess that smoking damage isn't quite as extreme and is something
> that adds up over a very long period of time rather than
> instantaneous damage, like self harm and alcohol abuse can be...

Thing is, self harm has it's roots in psychological problems (usually self-loathing in some way, shape, or form). Alcoholics almost always have low self-esteem, as do self harmers. Hence the similar treatment.

Smoking has no roots whatsoever in self loathing. It's a social activity for the most part (how many people d'you know who only smoke when they're also drinking with friends?), which can lead onto addiction. Hence the need to ensure that education about what smokers are doing to themselves is available.

Coming up with spurious reasons to try and stop people smoking for no reason than you personally don't like it (a la Munn) is something that immediately marks one out for full membership of the Conservative Party...
Mon 18/07/05 at 13:18
Regular
Hehe! Charming as always. :-)

Anysway, in reply to Munns point, not sure about smoking but excessive drinking is kind of "treated" in the way self harm and the like is.
I guess that smoking damage isn't quite as extreme and is something that adds up over a very long period of time rather than instantaneous damage, like self harm and alcohol abuse can be...
Mon 18/07/05 at 08:56
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Celestine wrote:
> stuff

Of course, when it comes to you my dear, I'm in favour of smoking being compulsory. If only we still had the good old days, where spitehags like you could be burnt for witchcraft the very instant you started getting annoyed that you're not getting paid enough attention.
Mon 18/07/05 at 08:53
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
munn wrote:

> So should we just raise awareness rather than stop people who
> self-harm or stop people from trying to commit suicide?
>
> That's harming their bodies, but it makes sense to stop them rather
> than saying "that's bad, you could die blah blah blah".
>
> Smoking is doing the same thing, essentially, as well as harming
> other people with passive smoking.

What an absolute stinking pile. "I don't understand why people smoke, but they're harming themselves so they must be the same as self-harmers." For fu...

First up; the passive smoking has already been kicked to the kerb. Unless you're going to continue your approach to health when it comes to driving and subsequent pollution, I think we've fairly comprehensively shown that the "passive smoking" bleat is entirely irrelevant.

Secondly, if you're going to try and apply that rather loathsome "stop people doing things that harm them", then one assumes you're going to apply the exact same logic to drinking? Or are you going to say that people who smoke should be given the same psychiatric help that self-harmers have access to? Perhaps you think someone should be put in restraints rather than be allowed to light up?

It's been a while since I read such a blatant piece of "I don't do this, ergo no-one should" bilge, but it's almost refreshing to do so.
Mon 18/07/05 at 06:19
Regular
smv wrote:
> Yay for Light, voice of reason in this thread. And a non-smoker to
> boot!

Alright..I'll say it. Ahem.

What a kiss ass..

:)
Sat 16/07/05 at 13:06
Regular
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> I smoke quite often. I wouldn't consider myself a 'smoker', because I
> don't smoke every day - I tend to smoke when I'm out drinking or at
> festivals or whatever. I've probably smoked a few hundred cigerettes
> in my life. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, because I like
> doing it and it doesn't have seriously detrimental effects upon my
> health.

There's nothing like a strong case of denial.

I generally smoke only when I drink, which is several times a week, sometimes when I'm not. It's terrible for my health, and I'd quit if I wasn't so spineless. I'm all for banning it in all public places, and I think it's basically disgusting how a government can play the sympathy card for those so ill due to smoking, then allow free distribution of highly taxed, easily accessible cancer sticks.

Oh and all those who ridicule and look down their noses at smokers, most notably you EX smokers, [Hicks] I have some news that you clearly haven't heard - None-smokers, die, every day. [/Hicks]
Fri 15/07/05 at 21:02
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Mmmm, Minty fresh lung cancer
Fri 15/07/05 at 20:37
"Darkness, always"
If someone could make cigarettes that didn't give off smoke, and the exhalation of which smelled of mint and didn't damage the lungs of anyone except the person smoking it, I wouldn't give a damn.
Fri 15/07/05 at 20:00
Regular
"Twenty quid."
[URL]http://flickr.com/photos/lorissa/26164965/[/URL].
Fri 15/07/05 at 17:32
Regular
Light wrote:
> No.
>
> Raise their awareness about what they're doing to themselves, yes.
> But don't take away their right to do whatever the hell they want
> with their health and their bodies.

So should we just raise awareness rather than stop people who self-harm or stop people from trying to commit suicide?

That's harming their bodies, but it makes sense to stop them rather than saying "that's bad, you could die blah blah blah".

Smoking is doing the same thing, essentially, as well as harming other people with passive smoking.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.