GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the best console out at present and what is going to be the best next generation console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/01 at 18:57
Regular
Playstation is not as good as N64. No way. I hate the playstation and i'm not just saying that because I own an N64 because I also own a Dreamcast and N64 is a lot better than that as well (dreamcast is still better than playstation though). In my opinion N64 is the best console out at the moment and although a lot of the games are kiddy they are still great games (mario, banjo-kazzoie/tooie for example). There are loads of non kiddy games as well though like goldeneye, perfect dark and shadowman. Although I say that N64 is the best console out at present I have never played a PS2 although to be honest I don't think it looks that great and again, I'm not just saying that. I do think it will become a great console in the future with class games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 coming out but there really aren't enough games out at the moment to make it the best console and for 300 quid it's also too expensive. Anyway by the time MGS2 and GT3 are out the Gamecube will probably be out as well and and no matter how much people say PS2 will be better, I say - NO CHANCE!!! Just wait for Perfect Dark Zero, Wave Race:Blue Storm, Metroid, and Rogue Squadron 2. You may say that they are just sequels to old games but so are MGS 2 and GT3. Anyway they are sequels to already great games. However, I have one doubt about PD Zero and that is that I have no idea how you improve on PERFECTion. Hold on a minute, I thought that about Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark came out. Oh well , I know I can trust rare to come up with something absolutely amazing. Just think of online play with PD Zero.
Anyway, having a dreamcast as well I can also say that it is nowhere near as good as N64. It isn't bad. There are SOME really great games but there just isn't enough of them. Soul Calibur, Shenmue and MSR are the best but i've played all of those to death (with the exception of soul calibur because that just never gets boring). None of the games last as long as the great N64 games (again with the exception of soul calibur).

On the topic of next generation consoles I think that X-Box will just be a PC hooked up to a TV so I'm not going to be getting that. However, having said that, the PC does have some really great games but again, having said that, I already have a PC so why would I want another. In my opinion though it will still sell by the millions because it is made by microsoft, the definition of quality. The PS2 will also sell brilliantly (and already has) but only because of the success of the original playstation. I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. Then we come to gamecube, the JESUS of them all. I don't think it will sell the most though. In fact I probably think both PS2 and X-Box will outsell it because whenever anybody thinks of Nintendo they immediately think of kiddies games. This is a shame because I think Nintendo and Rare (who only develop for nintendo machines) provide the best and most enjoyable video games around. I know which console I'm getting. I can't wait.

At the moment however I am stuck with Dreamcast. I can't wait for Shenmue 2. Crazy Taxi 2 and Ecco the dolphin 2 will also be pretty good but these games (with the exception of Shenmue 2) will only be diversions to keep me happy while I await the greatness of Perfect Dark Zero and Rogue Squadron 2.
Fri 01/06/01 at 08:51
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I know none of you are here anymore but I am going to post a message in the hope that you will see it. Batistuta is right you can't compare a £300 with a machine you can buy for less than a gameboy color. Ok Perfect Dark is pretty slow in multi-player, but the game is pushing the console to the limits. It is an example of Rare trying to get more and more out of an aging console. If it had been released on the GameCube the game would have been silky smooth with no slowdown at all. So if it had the Hardware to run it it would beat Timesplitters on all counts. This is because the only complaint you have against it is slowdown so if it was speeded up it would have a better one player and multi-player.

Another thing. Most of the games you mention are either conversions of games or games that are coming out on other consoles/pcs. If this doesn't seem annoying you obviously are a playstation owner as anyone who owns a Nintendo console like their games to be original. Ok maybe one or two of the games on the N64 are games that have been converted but practically all of them are original. This is one of the advantages of owning a Nintendo console.

Anyway I am glad that someone tried to "tell" me what I have said wrong. In my opinion you made some good arguement, but I think that me and Batistuta have maden our point pretty clear. NIntendo is Original!

p.s ZOE your right that is a class game, but does not have the lastability of any of my N64 games.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:20
Regular
MJswerve wrote:
> I know none of you are here anymore but I am going to post a message
> in the hope that you will see it. Batistuta is right you can't
> compare a £300 with a machine you can buy for less than a
> gameboy color.

You did it not me. You put N64 first and PS2 third. In the words of children: "You started it!".

Ok Perfect Dark is pretty slow in multi-player, but
> the game is pushing the console to the limits. It is an example of
> Rare trying to get more and more out of an aging console.

So what? Just because its the best it can do doesn`t mean its the best everywhere. The PS2`s very first FPS is far more fun.

If it had
> been released on the GameCube the game would have been silky smooth
> with no slowdown at all.

Yes but the GC hasn`t been released yet. Nothing is certain, not for a year or so.

So if it had the Hardware to run it it
> would beat Timesplitters on all counts.

Why? That is so stupid. You obviously have never played TimeSplitters. As I said earlier, it may not have the best one player game, but the mulitplayer is unbeatable fun.

This is because the only
> complaint you have against it is slowdown so if it was speeded up it
> would have a better one player and multi-player.

Too many "if"s here. I don`t care what could have been, I am only interested in what IS.

Another thing.
> Most of the games you mention are either conversions of games or
> games that are coming out on other consoles/pcs.

You probably mean Red Faction, (I am not sure what the others are that you seem to know). With Red Faction though, it`ll be out a long time before the PC version, so its hardly a conversion is it.

If this doesn't
> seem annoying you obviously are a playstation owner as anyone who
> owns a Nintendo console like their games to be original.

I have an N64, and really do not like the games much at all. I much prefer PSone games, and above that are the PS2 games. Have a look at the GC games. They are mostly sequels. The ones that are raved about are all sequels from what I`ve seen.

Ok maybe
> one or two of the games on the N64 are games that have been
> converted but practically all of them are original. This is one of
> the advantages of owning a Nintendo console.

Hardly an advantage I think. I couldn`t care less if the game is converted as long as its good fun to play.

Anyway I am glad
> that someone tried to "tell" me what I have said wrong. In
> my opinion you made some good arguement,

Oh thanks, now I feel REALLY good, compliments from you, oh great. *heavy sarcasm*.

but I think that me and
> Batistuta have maden our point pretty clear. NIntendo is
> Original!

The PS has a lot of original games as well. However it has a lot of unoriginal ones too. In fact it has more games all together, so its bound to have mroe of each.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:26
Regular
Oh great the PS has more games arguement. Sure glad to see that pop up again. Well Fur Fighters and Crazi Taxi (2 to put you right) are conversions of Dreamcast games. How on earth can you mention The (cough) Bouncer. How long do you like your games to last I am sure it isn't 1 hour. Shame on you Squaresoft.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:26
Regular
Kameo And eternal Darkness are two huge games which are not sequels for the Gamecube. All consoles need sequels anyway for the gamer to become more intrested and familar with the console. It okay just as long the trend dont continue years into the consoles life.

I never said PD was the best game.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:30
Regular
What about RavenBlade and Pikmin. These are not sequels are they. Even if Pikmins name does look like something I have seen before. (pikmin+2o)-(2i)+e=pokemon. Anyway it is a totally different type of game. Also it is good to have some familiar characters on your new console.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:33
Regular
MJswerve wrote:
> Oh great the PS has more games arguement. Sure glad to see that pop
> up again.

I was not using it in the way you assume though. It was merely a way of pointing out that the PS has a lot of original titles too, except that due to the shear number of titles on PS, they become a little overwhelmed.

> Well Fur Fighters and Crazi Taxi (2 to put you right)

Yes, I just read that about Fur Fighters, except it is an advanced version of it. As for Crazy Taxi, I know that, which is why it was put in the good games section, rather than the non-sequels.non-conversions section.

> How on earth can you mention The
> (cough) Bouncer. How long do you like your games to last I am sure
> it isn't 1 hour. Shame on you Squaresoft.

It looks fantastic though. It is visually brilliant whether you like it or not. The voices and sound are also very good. You have wildly exaggerated the shortness of the game. It is short, but not that short. Try and think of a better argument.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:36
Regular
MJswerve wrote:
> What about RavenBlade and Pikmin. These are not sequels are they.... and so on...

So its fine for the GC to have some sequels, but as soon as its another rival console you think you can start moaning about it, and saying its a bad thing. Just give up and go away would you.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:41
Regular
Honestly it is that short as I said I have a freind who owns a Ps2 and he completed it in 58 mins. Ok he had already completed it and then used the no cut scenes extra. But he still completed it in under an hour. As I have said in a past post games are not about pretty graphics the gameplay is everything. I need games that last me a couple of weeks. I know that does not seem very long but that is how long games take me to complete.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:42
Regular
Yes, but he has the import version.
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:42
Regular
You are telling me to go away? Now that is very childish isn't it you just can't handle my views. The thing is every single one of the Ps2 games has a no. on the end of it not a few but nearly every single one of them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.