GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Image Servers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/10/09 at 16:12
Regular
Hi,

I'm using Firefox 353.

I've noticed that I have random issues when refreshing a page from the freeola.com domain in that the image servers appear to stall and then 'crash' all over the place with no images loading.

This is, as I mentioned, random, and I can't predict when it's going to happen, but if I look at my status bar during a stall, it's at image(n).freeola.com (or net etc).

If I refresh sometime later, all is recovered.

Any ideas?

Neil
Mon 09/11/09 at 18:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Well as I wait for your 'avatar' to load, plus half the rest of the page...this is what I get

Waiting for http://chat.freeola.com/Instant-Sites-11-chat/Freeola-Image-Servers-12193.html

All other 'avatars' are loaded and viewable....

and yet I can still 'reply to post' and do what I'm doing now:-(
Mon 09/11/09 at 22:52
Regular
FYI

They just went sticky again at time of writing this.

N.
Thu 12/11/09 at 11:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've never had this problem either.

How are the image servers selected for each page? Could it be that at times one image server is given a larger number of images to serve, and struggles - or perhaps the web browser is just making use of it's maximum request limit?

Do you get this problem if you run Firefox or IE with add-ons disabled??
Thu 12/11/09 at 13:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
There is only one image server. It just serves over multiple subdomains as that's supposed to speed up image load times. Browsers are limited to the number of connections they can have open to one address at a time, therefore creating multiple addresses to server images open the browser can have more connection open and therefore download images quicker.

The only thing common to all the people who have reported this problem is that they are on our ADSL network (except at our offices here where the problem can't be seen!) and our image server is sitting in a data centre outside this network.
Thu 12/11/09 at 14:59
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I must have switched off earlier, as I could swear your response Eccles was marked as being written by a form member??

I get the theory, though browsers nowadays have upped their connection limits, so less of a problem now for heavy image sites. Perhaps it's a case of the router within the network is sending some requests to a non-existent server?
Thu 12/11/09 at 16:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It might be interesting to see some trace routes from those who have the problem vs those who dont. Even better if they go do them during an "episode".
Sat 14/11/09 at 23:11
Regular
This is interesting.

I have installed the newest version of the Tweak Network Settings Firefox extension. Google it, then go to the developers homepage and install - you should have at least version 1.4.1 installed after this. Don't forget to enable it.

My Firefox now goes through the roof... but the image server is still stalling (as we speak).

N.
Sun 15/11/09 at 17:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Neilj99 wrote:
> I have installed the newest version of the Tweak Network Settings
> Firefox extension. Google it, then go to the developers homepage
> and install - you should have at least version 1.4.1 installed
> after this. Don't forget to enable it.

I wonder if that'll make your problem worse (more frequent).
Sun 15/11/09 at 17:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Neilj99 wrote:
> This is interesting.
>
> I have installed the newest version of the Tweak Network Settings
> Firefox extension. Google it, then go to the developers homepage
> and install - you should have at least version 1.4.1 installed
> after this. Don't forget to enable it.
>
> My Firefox now goes through the roof... but the image server is
> still stalling (as we speak).
>
> N.

Whether or not the staffies have activated a 'technical' search for the problem as a result of this thread, I can report that IE8 doesn't seem to have this problem anymore:-)
Sun 15/11/09 at 20:23
Regular
@ Garin

This extension has always improved my experience. The new version seems to have improved browsing even further.

N.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.