GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Java?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/01/05 at 12:10
Regular
Hi guys my son at High school is currently learning all about VB Script and really enjoying it, he is using front page 2000 and word to build programs etc

He is wanting to do Java as well and wondered about java writing programs? is that the right term? what does he need to write Java? any advice for him much appreciated.

Kev
Sat 15/01/05 at 14:36
Regular
Many thanks I / we will look at these links and see if we he / we can master it, may wait untill wednesday to do the two hour download as we will have broadband then! and is it just me or is the net slow today on dial up? BT are very slow today!

Kev
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:32
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
You'll need an editor to write your programs, word and frontpage aren't great for writing programs.
Some people use notepad. For geting started you could try RealJ [URL]http://www.sharewareorder.com/RealJ-3-6-FreeJava-download-3292.htm[/URL]

To compile and run the java programs you'll need the JAVA SDK.
Go to www.java.sun.com and follow these instructions

1. Go to the Java web site.
2. Locate Java products and find the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition.
3. Go to the download page for the most current SDK version that's available for your platform.
4. After clicking on the download button, follow the instructions. Note the name of the file and the download size.
5. Select one of the FTP download options, unless you're behind a firewall and you need to use the HTTP option.
6. Save the setup file to your hard disk. On a 56K modem, it takes about 2 hours to down-load this file.
7. Once the entire package has downloaded, check to make sure that you got the executable and that the size is correct. Otherwise, you will get an error when you try to run the executable.
8. Run the exe file, and respond to the resulting dialog boxes. When you're prompted for the SDK directory, use the default directory and install all of the components unless disk space is a problem.

You'll also need to configure the SDK with your system, should be information with the download that tell you how to go about doing this (Havn't done it for a while so can't remember.)

He'll then need to learn how to write, compile and run programs.
There are lots of good resources on the internet, try google searching for 'java for beginners' or something similar.
Sat 15/01/05 at 12:10
Regular
Hi guys my son at High school is currently learning all about VB Script and really enjoying it, he is using front page 2000 and word to build programs etc

He is wanting to do Java as well and wondered about java writing programs? is that the right term? what does he need to write Java? any advice for him much appreciated.

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.