GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Public smokeing laws in scotland or anywere els but why?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/11/04 at 07:44
Regular
"Guten tag mein helm"
As the news reports on the scottish parliment with the law for banning smokeing in public places no one gives any evidence about the effect passive smokeing can have.
I am not a smoker and I dont live in a smokeing home but it just seems very presumtuis to have a law put into place without a thorough scientific investigation. Its only because of a bunch of articles in the paper sevrel years ago that put the scare into people that seems to think passive smokeing will harm you. there is a show in america called pen and teller's bull****(the comedic magiciains) which they disprove alot of things that they deem bull**** and they research these things and have respected experts talk and they talked to people that had worked in bars and restruants that had alot of smokeing a bar owner worked for 20 years a non smoker and he had no problems and all the people that they talked to had worked in smokey enviroments for just as long or longer and had nothing wrong with them that smokeing could cause.

Seems our democrecy is turning into a big brother system they are even discussing law and fines to reduce the amount of advertising sweets soft drinks and other things deemed "not healthy" because there is a large percentage of children that are obese and they blame the advertising if I want to eat a snikers I will a snickers because I want a snickers not because an advert made me chose it over a mars bar.

If you can give evidence for or again or just your own veiw on all of this then talk away.
Excuse me for any grammaticle or spelling erros since I am dyslexic but I have tried my best to make sense.
Tue 23/11/04 at 01:22
Regular
"Guten tag mein helm"
Well there is that part of it but i very little of it its more do to with what people claim is harm to your health but that is a very valid point.
When i was first subjected to smoke (up at the back of the bus coming home from high school) it did iritate my eyes and made me cough but after a short few minutes i was adjusted to it and i had stayed there for 4 years the only time smoke would have an affect on me was if it was being blowen into me or very close by.
As for the smell its not the greatest of smells but its not bad either but its my own tolorance some people cant take a bad smelling breeze for a few seconds.

Theres proof on why smokeing should be banned from public places but most of what i have heard is it harms your health without anything much to it.
There is people that are pure vegans againt GM foods and there argmunent against it is "Maby it will make us grow a third eye or somthing".
Tue 23/11/04 at 08:24
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Not sure if I've got this right, but is someone really saying that advertising has no effect? Why spend billions on it then?
Tue 23/11/04 at 16:30
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
Smoking should definitely be banned, not just in public, but totally. It should be made illegal. Smoking damages your health, however other drugs that do the same are illegal. why DO people smoke? The only reason I can think of is because you like the way it makes you feel etc, ie addicted. People are addicted to heroin but it doesnt make it right. Heroin doesnt affect other peoples health but theres more of an uproar about it. That goes for other drugs too. Im not gonna get into caffine right now. lol.
Wed 01/12/04 at 09:03
Regular
"Don't let me down"
munn wrote:

>
> It's teh same in my house, except the room my dad smokes in is the
> kitchen.
> If I want something to eat, should I hold my breath whilst I make
> myself something?

No but you should think about smoking in another room where you dont eat.
>
> You see it's all about choice, you choose to inhale the fumes by
> sitting next to him when lighting a tab, is it his fault. Do I get a
> choice in breathing car fumes?
>
> No, but i've already commented on that, car companies and scientists
> are working on a way to use Hydrogen as a fuel so that no pollution
> is emitted. Tobacco campanies are lifting two finges to everyone who
> tells them they're poisoning people.

And does that make cars healthy

> Don't try and tell me because you
> choose to breath in smoke from a tab, its wrong?
>
> I don't, I'm forced to.
>
> Lets say I walk into a pub, and I have say, two drinks, and I'm
> sitting enjoying myself, when, all of a sudden, a guy comes in, sits
> next to me and lights up a fag.
> I've been sitting there 30 minutes or so, and he's just walked in and
> lit up.
> Why should I be forced to move because he wants to smoke.
> "He should have the freedom of choice to smoke if he wants
> to"
> "You have the choice to leave, or stay"
>
> That's no choice, that's a "I'm smoking, **** off if you don't
> want to inhale it"
> That's what I hate about smokers.

Ok try this, you walk in the non smoking section and enjoy your drink without the smoke around you, not hard to compromise is it. Every pup should have a non smoking section and if they did it would stop your petty excuses, if they havn't then it's your fault for choosing to drink in a pup with smoke in. Try telling the bar man and he may see sense that a non smoking section would benefit the pup on a whole. Why? Well it would please you non smokers, and for us smokers it would stop the complaints we get against it.
Wed 01/12/04 at 09:25
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Fozz wrote:
> Smoking should definitely be banned, not just in public, but totally.
> It should be made illegal. Smoking damages your health, however other
> drugs that do the same are illegal.

What are you insane? What about drink it's worse the tabs but no because it's got the word alcohol in it then it gets ignored, after a week or so without replying I am yet to see any good reasons why smokers should be banned in puplic places without a compromise solving the solution.
Wed 01/12/04 at 10:31
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Fozz wrote:
> Smoking should definitely be banned, not just in public, but totally.
> It should be made illegal. Smoking damages your health, however other
> drugs that do the same are illegal. why DO people smoke? The only
> reason I can think of is because you like the way it makes you feel
> etc, ie addicted. People are addicted to heroin but it doesnt make it
> right. Heroin doesnt affect other peoples health but theres more of
> an uproar about it. That goes for other drugs too. Im not gonna get
> into caffine right now. lol.

Wow; how very totalitarian of you. "I don't like it or do it, ergo no-one else should".

Tell me, how do you propose to keep order in this Labour Camp that seems to be your ideal society?
Wed 01/12/04 at 10:33
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
Alcohol is proven (in small doses) to be healthy for you. People who drink wine on a regular basis, in smallish doses (i.e not getting plastered) have shown to have a longer lifespan. The point where alcohol becomes a danger is when people abuse it. If anything about it should be banned its alcohol abuse.

Smoking should be considered self harm. thats all it is really. Its a lot like hard drugs, which for some reason are illegal. One thing that makes them more damaging is the fact there is a lot of stuff we dont know about them in then. should they be illegal Im sure they'd only be as toxic, if not less, than cigarettes.

It's teh same in my house, except the room my dad smokes in is the
> kitchen.
> If I want something to eat, should I hold my breath whilst I make
> myself something?

No but you should think about smoking in another room where you dont eat

um I think you misunderstood what he was saying. is his dad that smokes.

> You see it's all about choice, you choose to inhale the fumes by
> sitting next to him when lighting a tab, is it his fault. Do I get a
> choice in breathing car fumes?
>
> No, but i've already commented on that, car companies and scientists
> are working on a way to use Hydrogen as a fuel so that no pollution
> is emitted. Tobacco campanies are lifting two finges to everyone who
> tells them they're poisoning people.

And does that make cars healthy

To some extent yes, but the point is that it shows something is being DONE to make cars healthier.

> Ok try this, you walk in the non smoking section and enjoy your drink
> without the smoke around you, not hard to compromise is it. Every pup
> should have a non smoking section and if they did it would stop your
> petty excuses, if they havn't then it's your fault for choosing to
> drink in a pup with smoke in. Try telling the bar man and he may see
> sense that a non smoking section would benefit the pup on a whole.
> Why? Well it would please you non smokers, and for us smokers it
> would stop the complaints we get against it.

Its just as easy the smokers choice for choosing MY pub. Smoking is, in my opinion, a disgusting habbit. If its really about choice, then its between either being FORCED to take second hand smoke, (moving away isnt always possible, but even so why should we be forced to? Life isnt about avoiding smokers) or smokers can have the courtesy not to smoke in a place where they can easily see that healthy non smokers will get a dose of toxins.
Wed 01/12/04 at 10:38
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Fozz wrote:

> or smokers can have the courtesy
> not to smoke in a place where they can easily see that healthy non
> smokers will get a dose of toxins.

Does that mean you can show the courtesy to allow people to make adult, informed decisions about what they do with their body and their life?
Wed 01/12/04 at 10:51
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Fozz wrote
To some extent yes, but the point is that it shows something is being DONE to make cars healthier.

And giving smokers the simple right to smoke in a room they choose to go into, which doesn't bother non smokers as they wont have any need to enter would be making it healthier for them too without banning it.

Now you tell me anywhere in the city where your not breathing in toxic fumes from the cars? You tell me if I have the choice to do so? Thats the reason why it's wrong to ban smoking. And drink does more bad than good and thats a fact. Ohh and I hope you do have a car because that will make you a total hypocrite.
Wed 01/12/04 at 10:54
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
All you drivers stop polluting my atmosphere with toxic emissions, and I'll stop having the odd tab.

I wonder how much of the ozone layer hole is due to cigarette smoke?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.