GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokemon on Cube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pokemon Colosseum'.
Thu 30/12/04 at 17:25
Regular
Yep, Nintendo have announced that a GBA-style Pokemon adventure is underway for the Cube.

Now this has got me thinking two ways. It could turn out as a successful RPG, racking up the sales like it's GBA brother did ever so well.

But on the other-hand I have a feeling the exploration side of the game won't work in 3D that well. Sure, the battles will look brilliant, as Colossuem has already proved, but the other side of the game I have my doubts about. And, even though the Cube is owned by loads of kids, I have a feeling it won't sell well. Maybe because little kids will get burned if they buy it, I don't know. But I've got a doubt in the back of my mind. It's probably just me being stupid, but there we are.

I won't buy it, because even though deep down my heart is telling me I love Pokemon, my mind knows I will get burned/kicked/eaten/stroked if I do buy it.

So kids, get excited!
Fri 31/12/04 at 10:18
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
The problem is they can't drastically alter the fighting system, making it real time etc, because no doubts it will still link up to the GBA versions. Thus the combat has to pretty much remain the same. Doesn't bother me turn based fighting, tiss what I have come to expect from RPGs.

As for random battles etc. I feel they should be left in there. Perhaps more paths so you don't 'have' to walk through too much grass might be the answer. The way Pokemon games are constructed at the moment is that they throw enough random battles at you bewteen sections that your Pokemon are generally levelled up enough to tackle the boss or what not at your destination. So there is still going to have to be some element of it in there. Also, the random battles was half the fun/aim of Pokemon, as it was running around long grass trying to track down elusive ones to complete your collection.

I think big Colosseum showdowns should still be part of it. Not the main drive, but when you get to a main town you should be able to take part in some for special gifts/items etc.

They should also include more places like that battle square place in Colosseum where you could just mill around battling other trainers at your pleasure.

Animal Crossing style realtime day and night would be quite good too! So you could only capture certain Pokemon at night etc.

:)
Fri 31/12/04 at 11:11
Regular
Ye, I'm with you on the grass sections Cooky. They need to set out the worlds and routes so that you don't actually need to walk through grass to fight Pokemon, you can just do it if you want.

But then how do you level up your Pokemon? Well, I feel placing more trainers around the routes would help, and also add the option whether you want to fight them or not, and not make it so that they automatically fight you hen you come into their line of sight.

But for that to work, the experience points needed to level-up would need to drastically decrease, because with the option of not battling, players could find their Pokemon getting slaughtered by Gym Leaders who need to be defeated to progress because they didn't battle and level-up their Pokemon enough.

Another idea would be that a Pokemon levels-up once it's fought a certain amount of Pokemon, or even a certain Pokemon.

There's just so many ways this game could go. Hopefully Nintendo will get it right.
Fri 31/12/04 at 11:16
Regular
"\\"
Crumble wrote:
> But for that to work, the experience points needed to level-up would
> need to drastically decrease, because with the option of not
> battling, players could find their Pokemon getting slaughtered by Gym
> Leaders who need to be defeated to progress because they didn't
> battle and level-up their Pokemon enough.
>
> Another idea would be that a Pokemon levels-up once it's fought a
> certain amount of Pokemon, or even a certain Pokemon.

So in essence, don't make it an RPG.

Right. That really would make a good RPG.
Fri 31/12/04 at 11:19
Regular
Okay, how would lowering the experience points needed to level-up or fighting a certain amount of Pokemon stop it being an RPG?

It will be an RPG because of the exploration etc, not the amount of experience a Pokemon needs.
Fri 31/12/04 at 11:56
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
The issue is that Pokemon generally is about collecting Pokemon and training them up. Thus lots of battles. To remove or lower the amount of battles, either trainer or random, would be to take something from the game that made people play it. There needs to be lots of grass sections so that random battles occur, but I think there needs to be more paths so that when your in one of those sections in the GBA version where every two steps you get attacked, you can avoid the sever annoyance that sometimes caused.

Then again, when you played the GBA versions enough, you get to the point where you don't have to bother walking down the roads between towns anyways if you don't want to because you always get some flying Pokemon and just teleport from town to town. So perhaps it isn't too important to cut down on the grass, because eventually it does end up more or less up to you if you want to travel through the grassy sections or not.

:)
Fri 31/12/04 at 14:49
Regular
Like some people have said already, a Wind Waker engine + Tales of Symphonia battle system would be perfect.

I can imagine this being brilliant.

I've always wanted a 3D/home console pokemon RPG!
Fri 31/12/04 at 15:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
secretly we all know that Treasure will develop it and it will be rubbish.
Fri 31/12/04 at 15:35
Regular
Give it to Namco! And send everone from Nintendo.
Fri 31/12/04 at 15:52
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Cooky wrote:
> Animal Crossing style realtime day and night would be quite good too!
> So you could only capture certain Pokemon at night etc.

Mmm definately, the time element from Gold and Silver was, I felt, one of the greatest advances from the Red/Blue previous incarnations. Different Pokémon only availiable at night or at certain times, and Day/Time specific challenges and opening times for areas. I still get annoyed this wasn't carried through to the GBA versions.

But with the Cube's internal clock I'm hopeful something like this will be added.
Fri 31/12/04 at 16:17
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It's a shame that we know that there will be new characters, new pokemon and it won't be cel shaded. :' (

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.