GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Telling friends of an Illness"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/10/04 at 21:21
Regular
I've always had problems with this... I never know what to believe.

Is it that important to tell your friends, and family of course, that you're ill?

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but how do you go about telling a friend that? It doesn't exactly spring up in conversation.. I guess they deserve to know, but I think paranoia reminds me that it's not really worth it, it doesn't change who I am or what I do, but it may affect the way they see you.

With stuff like this before, I've tried to gather all my friends in one place and telling everyone at once.. I've tried telling nobody, which wasn't the greatest road to go down.. and also just a select few, which is easier but still makes me wonder about the rest.

Horrible horrible thing to munder over. I know the best thing is 'if it bothers you then say' etc.. I'm just interested in what you'd do.

Would something like that get to you? Would you feel pressured to say? Or would you just carry on, not really caring of it?

I have a few close, personal friends that I can discuss this with.. but the problem is, I'm making one or two new friends.. do they deserve to know? I don't know, it confuses and scares me. I'm more than likely worrying over nothing here mind.

So what would you do?
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:12
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Odd you notice that Reefer, they've been deleted for a long time,
> before you were registered.

It isn't odd, he's Shaneo.
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:12
Regular
It's more of a worry really.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here, but sometimes when I'm talking to people, I get a thought in my head such as telling said person about me being a mentalist. Once that's there, it's difficult to concentrate on anything, including what they're saying. I can't exactly just blurt out with it though.. can I? Actually, I probably can.

I think the main question here is, if you suffer from something that nobody can easily see, is it worth telling your friends? Do they deserve the knowledge of it, or is it not worth mentioning, even if you do have the urge (selfish or otherwise) to say?

Confuses me, I swear.
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Odd you notice that Reefer

He wants to copy them all!

Anyway, if i didnt feel the need to tell other people, then i wouldnt.
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:02
Regular
Odd you notice that Reefer, they've been deleted for a long time, before you were registered.

They were removed because of a database shake up. I reviewed things they no longer stock.
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:00
Regular
Why, wonderful thank you.

Usually it's in a pub or something, doesn't really work online.
Wed 13/10/04 at 22:00
Regular
Grix - I just realised that all of your reviews disappeared. Wha!?
Wed 13/10/04 at 21:57
Regular
Hi Darren from Wales. I'm Graeme from Scotland.
How are you today?
Wed 13/10/04 at 21:37
Regular
I know, I can't get my head around it.

Is it that important? (You are on long term medication...) ...yeah, but it doesn't change me. I mean, I will only appear as I appear, does it matter that I'm this label thing? Why not just carry on anyway? (Because your illness, unfortunately, describes you as inable to perform self-analysis very well, making you feel much more sane than you really are)

That's a scary thought.

Oh.. rar. Maybe I should just change my inital greeting. I say "Hello, I'm Darren, I'm from Wales." You wouldn't believe how successful that is for starting conversations.

Hi, I'm a mentalist, you are?
Wed 13/10/04 at 21:32
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Ooh, tough one.

To be honest, I'd probably tell people, but I wouldn't just come out with it though, just mention it if conversation ever leans that way.

Hmm, or would I?

*thinks*

With my disability it's pretty damn hard not to notice, so I don't actually know how I'd be with something you can't see from 100 paces.
Wed 13/10/04 at 21:21
Regular
I've always had problems with this... I never know what to believe.

Is it that important to tell your friends, and family of course, that you're ill?

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but how do you go about telling a friend that? It doesn't exactly spring up in conversation.. I guess they deserve to know, but I think paranoia reminds me that it's not really worth it, it doesn't change who I am or what I do, but it may affect the way they see you.

With stuff like this before, I've tried to gather all my friends in one place and telling everyone at once.. I've tried telling nobody, which wasn't the greatest road to go down.. and also just a select few, which is easier but still makes me wonder about the rest.

Horrible horrible thing to munder over. I know the best thing is 'if it bothers you then say' etc.. I'm just interested in what you'd do.

Would something like that get to you? Would you feel pressured to say? Or would you just carry on, not really caring of it?

I have a few close, personal friends that I can discuss this with.. but the problem is, I'm making one or two new friends.. do they deserve to know? I don't know, it confuses and scares me. I'm more than likely worrying over nothing here mind.

So what would you do?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.