GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Telling friends of an Illness"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/10/04 at 21:21
Regular
I've always had problems with this... I never know what to believe.

Is it that important to tell your friends, and family of course, that you're ill?

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but how do you go about telling a friend that? It doesn't exactly spring up in conversation.. I guess they deserve to know, but I think paranoia reminds me that it's not really worth it, it doesn't change who I am or what I do, but it may affect the way they see you.

With stuff like this before, I've tried to gather all my friends in one place and telling everyone at once.. I've tried telling nobody, which wasn't the greatest road to go down.. and also just a select few, which is easier but still makes me wonder about the rest.

Horrible horrible thing to munder over. I know the best thing is 'if it bothers you then say' etc.. I'm just interested in what you'd do.

Would something like that get to you? Would you feel pressured to say? Or would you just carry on, not really caring of it?

I have a few close, personal friends that I can discuss this with.. but the problem is, I'm making one or two new friends.. do they deserve to know? I don't know, it confuses and scares me. I'm more than likely worrying over nothing here mind.

So what would you do?
Thu 14/10/04 at 15:16
Regular
Ta peeps, weird gives me more confidence, oddly enough.

And no worry about jokes either, I'd much rather see it in that light than anything serious. More What About Bob than A Beautiful Mind, if you get the picture.

Either way, this is all so new to me. When you're ill, generally it's something that'll go, eventually. It's odd to think, oh right, this is forever.

Speaking of which, I wonder if I can do the Government out of any freebies and support, grants for Uni etc. We're mentally ill, don'tcha know. Naughty to think I can get stuff when I deserve it no more than anyone else, but still.

And as for being scary-weird, I have no idea how I appear. It's just best not to take me too seriously, at any time.

(I wonder if it's safe for me to come back, now you're stable, apparently.)

Hush you.

(Hush yourself, mentalist.)

Being a schizoprenic is fun. Join in!
Thu 14/10/04 at 14:10
Regular
Cyclone said:
>I guess some people would think you're joking....

Well sort of...

They'd sort of think you're joking, but not be sure...

So that's the beauty of it. They wouldn't take it seriously until they'd had time to get used to the idea. Right?
Thu 14/10/04 at 14:04
Regular
"That's right!"
I'd tell my friends. Obviously we're two different people, but I'd use it as an ice breaker. I'd be telling everyone I knew, I'd be taking advantage of the attention I'd get.

That's just me, but I'm the kid who was proud to say "Yeah I went to the clinic and had a needle shoved up my third eye"
Thu 14/10/04 at 14:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You could right an email, then send it to all your friends and family. Its less heart wrenching, and it brings it into the digital age.
Thu 14/10/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Sorry.
Thu 14/10/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Just get your other personality to tell them. Or put up a poster in
> your hall that says 'You don't have to be schizophrenic to live here,
> but Grix is!'

'You don't have to be schizophrenic to live here, but we are!'
Thu 14/10/04 at 14:01
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Just get your other personality to tell them. Or put up a poster in your hall that says 'You don't have to be schizophrenic to live here, but Grix is!'
Thu 14/10/04 at 13:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I guess some people would think you're joking....
Thu 14/10/04 at 13:31
Regular
There's ways of propping it up into a conversation.

Say you're having lunch with someone and you get out some medication to take with the lunch:

"What are those for?"

"Oh, those? Just pills to stop me being scitzophrenic..."

That's the hard part.
From there they'll most likely be interested and start asking questions, where you get to give all the details they need.

Or next time you're making plans:

"When do you want to do so and so?"
"Any time but Wednesday night, got to see the doctor."
"Oh? What about?"
"Nothing. I'm just a bit scitzo, that's all..."

And once you've dropped the word, almost like a joke (like dipping toes in the water), and from there you'll get questions which'll sort of bring into depth.

I think. :-)
Thu 14/10/04 at 13:19
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I hope I'm not damaging your confidence by over-use of the word 'weird' :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.