GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Telling friends of an Illness"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/10/04 at 21:21
Regular
I've always had problems with this... I never know what to believe.

Is it that important to tell your friends, and family of course, that you're ill?

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but how do you go about telling a friend that? It doesn't exactly spring up in conversation.. I guess they deserve to know, but I think paranoia reminds me that it's not really worth it, it doesn't change who I am or what I do, but it may affect the way they see you.

With stuff like this before, I've tried to gather all my friends in one place and telling everyone at once.. I've tried telling nobody, which wasn't the greatest road to go down.. and also just a select few, which is easier but still makes me wonder about the rest.

Horrible horrible thing to munder over. I know the best thing is 'if it bothers you then say' etc.. I'm just interested in what you'd do.

Would something like that get to you? Would you feel pressured to say? Or would you just carry on, not really caring of it?

I have a few close, personal friends that I can discuss this with.. but the problem is, I'm making one or two new friends.. do they deserve to know? I don't know, it confuses and scares me. I'm more than likely worrying over nothing here mind.

So what would you do?
Thu 14/10/04 at 23:09
Regular
Thanks again people.

UrkiE-UK wrote:
> What exactly is Schizophrenia, Grix?

I'll get back to you on that, heavy explaining to be done (and why it's not multiple personalities etc)

For now you can [URL]http://www.schizophrenia.com/[/URL], but I'm off to drive up to sunny Essex early tomorrow so I'm off to bed.
Thu 14/10/04 at 22:48
Regular
"not dead"
I got an allegorical story! (Either that or a pointless tale)

At a family party of some kind, could have been a birthday or wedding anniversary, I don't rightly remember, my uncle had a bit of a problem. His flies on his trousers (the zip - he didn't have insects on his trousers, that's another tale) were broken, therefore constantly in the down position.

My uncle went to ever table in the hall to tell people that his flies were down for this reason.

Now, chances are that a high number of the guests (being old and probably having dodgy eye-sight) wouldn't have even noticed - however, if any had, at least they now knew that he wasn't deliberately exposing himself.

The moral of the tale? Er, I don't know, I just wanted to talk about an old guy exposing himself.

Anyway, I'd say there's little point telling EVERYONE, but people you consider friends, when you think the time is right, go for it. If they run a mile, they're not really worth having as friends, are they? (Most likely they'll just say "Ah! That explains it."

All the best, anywho.
Thu 14/10/04 at 22:32
Regular
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> Don't take the p!ss out of Timmy - if he got the chance, he'd kill you
> and everyone you care about.

I only do it cos' I love him.
Thu 14/10/04 at 22:04
Regular
What exactly is Schizophrenia, Grix?
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:56
Regular
Don't take the p!ss out of Timmy - if he got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you care about.
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:38
Regular
Timmargh wrote:

> With my disability it's pretty damn hard not to notice, so I don't
> actually know how I'd be with something you can't see from 100
> paces.

You're disabled?!
I thought you were a robot!
Thu 14/10/04 at 19:34
Regular
"Better Than You"
I say tell them, then if the recact 'badly' and stay normal or don't want to know it shows you they aint good friends, but if they want help you as much as they can and will be there for you etc. it shows you they are good friends who are worth having.
Thu 14/10/04 at 15:44
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Bleed them dry Grix

" i r sick, need muney please "
Thu 14/10/04 at 15:41
Regular
Chuckle. :)

I best be careful I don't lose it too much, or I might end up in Arkham Asylum or something. Mind you, they don't have it too bad, and they break out every now and again too. Maybe I'll go there.
Thu 14/10/04 at 15:39
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
A little of topic, but I thought this might make you laugh...

It's mental health awareness week at the Uni were I work, and they are holding events in the main union venue called....

....The Asylum

Well it made me laugh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.