GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ditch the Gamecube Nintendo (43% drop in profit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/01/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
I know some of you will point out the fact that, in spite of the loss compared to last year's earnings, Nintendo has still accrued a profit to the tune of $600,000,000. While that is a large sum of money it needs to be realized that the amount of that profit is not too far from being HALF of their previous year's profits. That means that Nintendo has that much money LESS to put into things like research and development for things like new games and new systems. Also, game companies are less likely to put their time and money into a company that posts losses as massive as 43%. If this trend continues, it could have some nasty repercussions. People could lose their jobs (I feel sure some heads have already rolled after the news of a profit loss this significant), for one thing. And companies will not want to invest in another company that will not post a meaningful profit for their efforts. So yeah, Nintendo still posted a profit. But when that profit is in the shadow of a previous year that was 43% HIGHER, then the 'profit' tends to lose significance. Just some things to consider.

The Gamecube is costing Nintendo big and sagging sales are a large part of their problem, ditch the deadwood before it's to late.
Page:
Thu 27/01/05 at 12:25
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> People returned it in large numbers in Japan.
>
> Not a good start. It never fully recovered in Japan, although Pokemon
> helped a lot.

The N64 performed well though, that's the main thing, it performed well. Far better than the Gamecube is.
Thu 27/01/05 at 12:26
Regular
"8==="
At the start or midway through it's lifespan?
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:00
Regular
BAsically, Hedfix is saying that as good as it did, it could've done a WHOLE lot better if Nintendo hadn't spent the first 6 months faffing around!
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:03
Regular
"8==="
Yep. I find the 'apparent' news that the N64 did better in Japan than the cube to be quite puzzling.

Nintendo were getting stuffed in Japan over the N64 but with the Cube I thought they reclaimed a large amount of territory. Are you saying they haven't Dringo? Or if you're not saying that then what exactly are you saying?
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:06
Regular
Tscore05 wrote:
> that posts losses as massive as 43%.
> profit is in the shadow of a previous year that was 43% HIGHER

Urgh - think about it.

How can they both be true?
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:12
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
I did say that the DS is yet another system that is not easy to program for and this is because of the limited cartridge space. 250 games in development for PSP and why is that because the PSP UMD is allowing the developers to translate straight from console to handheld with more ease than 1st generation handhelds like the DS.
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:14
Regular
Answer my question.
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:31
"period drama"
The profit being 43% lower last year is not the same thing as the profit being 43% higher than this year, you know.

Maths: you'll love it!
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:23
Regular
Hedfix wrote:

> Nintendo were getting stuffed in Japan over the N64 but with the Cube
> I thought they reclaimed a large amount of territory. Are you saying
> they haven't Dringo? Or if you're not saying that then what exactly
> are you saying?

I am saying that, the N64 performed solidly, sold well, made a good profit and did Nintendo proud.

The Gamecube is doing much worse, much much worse.

I knew the figures at one point but I don't anymore.

The N64 had a fantastic launch, much like the GAmecube and the DS... but then it just sorta fell away.

The Gamecube is continuing to fall away whilst the N64 clawed its way back up and became a successful console.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:24
"period drama"
Maybe the GC will claw its way back up again.
Should do ... might do ...
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.