GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles - Is the End Nigh?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/04/01 at 18:39
Regular
I had a master system. Bought the games. Got bored of the games Game Gear looked better, bought a game gear. Then after lots of saving I got myself a Mega Drive. Game Gear and Master System gathered dust. Played my Mega Drive for a while. Then stopped. Then let it gather dust. Then out came the Playstation - didn't get it instead got an N64 just for Goldeneye. Then finally decided to get a Playstation. Now both are gathering dust upstairs with me saying goodbye to Mr. N64 after I got stuck on Perfect Dark, and the Playstation? Stopped playing it because of Sony's terrible distribution policies of Playstation 2's. If they are not going to make it easy for me to simply go into a shop and come out with a PS2 - screw you Sony :-P. Now I have turned my attention to the PC.. Why? Because Consoles are dying. Consoles are becoming increasingly better and better and with the quality more expensive. 300 quid isn't it for a PS2? (something like that), yet for a few quid more I can get myself a nice PC.

Consoles are just becoming more powerful because of competition. The competition is going to kill consoles off trust me. I can see it now. What’s happening.. its all going hazy

Microsoft have released their X Box! Microsoft kill sales of PS2. Nintendo release Gamecube! Within months PS2 announce a 3rd Playstation inventively titled "PStation 3". Nintendo's sales are nowhere near X Box. X Box announce plans for a new console “The Super Bill-Gates” Pstation 3 released at £400, Nintendo release plans for a new console code name “Grey Squirrel” Super Bill Gates released at £500. Grey Squirrel released at £550. Grey Squirrel sales pathetic, people turn to PC’s. Consoles die.

Is it just me who thinks this is where we are going? There came a time where consoles were for people to play games on and have fun at a small cost. Now it’s an expensive luxury for people to be cool and have the ‘right’ console – the one that sells the most.
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:19
Regular
But is the price going up?!??!?!?!

How much was the PSX when first released? Compare that with PS2

HOw much was the SNES when first released, compare that to N64

etc etc....
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:23
Regular
Th2 SNES i dunno i was too young to know but i did get the N64 for £250 with games.
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:26
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
My figures:
I bought an N64 at 100 pounds
Playstation at 100 pounds
Mega Drive at 100 pounds
Game Gear at 100 pounds
Now PS2 300 pounds?! - thats a rip off for kids of all ages. That's like 2 1/2 years pocket money savings for me. Alot of the audience (not all of it but a lot) are people under 18 who have no jobs. If you r lucky and have nice parents - gr8 you r sorted. If not your in trouble.And inflation - i still find 300 pounds too much. Inflation hasnt effected me.

FantasyMeister totally agree. COnsoles are great for offline gaming. Once you have a console it's great. Games are not too expensive and lifes great. PC is much better for online gaming. But what I'm saying is the people in charge of making the consoles are making us pay too much money for them and focusing on creating the most powerful machine.

Maybe they will evolve instead of die - thats another situation that could arise. Consoles could replace VCRs and DVD's I expect - the ultimate entertainment centre. I just think the manufacturers are getting carried away with competition...
I love to argue :-P
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:28
Regular
I think your right there Rakuga. The console and PC will get closer and closer to each other, and will become the centre of the whol home entertainment system.

You PS2 costs more than your megadaruve because it can do more!!! If you just wanted to play games and pay less, buy a DC!!
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:32
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Yeh but Dreamcast was killed by opposition. Sega were killed by their rivals and now have decided to 'just make games'. Proof that competition is killing off consoles. The big name Sega is dying!!!
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:38
Regular
Sega isnt dying, they are going back to what they started doing. MAking games. Its what they're best at!
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:42
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
No Segas consoles have died. Sure they will make games still. Gaming industry will never die. Too much money in it. But this competition is forcing big companies like SEGA out of the market because they can't contend with the giants like Sony.
Fri 06/04/01 at 22:44
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Sorry didn't make that clear :)
Fri 06/04/01 at 23:12
Regular
Here is my first ever post on whether I prefer Consoles or PC's:

There is a lot to consider when choosing which is better and why. The first thing people tend to go for is graphics. It isn't the most important part of videogaming but it's the first thing you notice!

Graphics didn't have to be realistic years ago. You could get away with a very cheaply drawn game before on the NES and especially the Gameboy and it could still be counted as great. But things have changed now and the better the graphics, the more people go out and buy it. So nowadays, no matter what people have said on here, graphics are important in most games. And if you want better graphics, it's better to get an up to date console. Consoles tend to have the best technology when released, and most games will be of a similar standard when it comes to graphics.

The next thing people tend to notive is sound quality. Now as with the graphics, sound effects aren't the most important part of a game, they still play an important role though. You don't believe me? Try playing a game witout subtitles that relies on characters telling the story whilst the volume is off! Sound quality tends to be better on PC's, but not always. If you've got an old TV then it'll most likely be in monosound. The music and sound effects will be of an alright quality but nothing special. If you've got a top of the range TV with extra's like Stereo surround speakers all around your room then go with a console! But otherwise stick with a PC.

Then comes the controls! What's in a game if you can't control it? Well there is one clear winner when it comes to controls, PC. When you buy a PC you get a mouse, keyboard and usually either a joystick or joypad. Sometimes you get more if you're lucky. But you've got three controller types, and some games even mix them! With the keyboard you've got plenty of keys for those more complex games, or you could just use the arrows and spacebar for a simple FPS, and usually the keyboard controls are redefineable so you've got total freedom. With consoles you have to buy extra controllers if you don't like the standard, however with consoles you can easily play multiplayer games which brings me to my next part of the argument....

Multiplayer features aren't compulsary, but are evergrowingly popular. Consoles are definately better when it comes to multiplayer games. You can have up to four players simultaneously playing against each other using the same console on the same screen! Whereas most multiplayer PC games are either turn based, online, or a mixture of the two. You never see who you're playing against (which could be an advantage to some) and you never have a social life because you're always on the lookout for webfriends to play aginst again. So consoles win this part of the argument....but this also links with the next part...

Internet accessability. Now this shouldn't be important in the world of gaming because really it has nothing to do with it! Apart from the advertising, buying and info. If you want to find these, the PC wins, you get the best accessability, and although upgrading you're modem may be expensive, consoles ISP's can cost more in the long run.

Now with all these together, there is only one more piece to complete the puzzle. Gameplay. Without it a game is nothing! It would be like buying the board game Monopoly only to find that all you had was the board, no counters, no money, no houses and hotels, just a blank board. Now there are definately more types of games on the PC, but that doesn't neccasarily make that any better. Consoles tend to have the better types of games on them only, and the gameply tends to last for ages! That's why Pokémon was so succesful on the Gameboy! That's why Zelda was so successful on all consoles! And that's why classic arcade hits like Donkey Kong and Space Invaders were so popular. They made you want to play them more! That's what's important about the gameplay! It doesn't matter about the graphics, sounds, multiplayer abilities or anything else, as long as the game makes you want to play it again, and again and again. So I reckon it's a draw between PC's and consoles in this part of the argument.

From my points of view on all segments of the main argument, it's pretty much a draw. I've played PC's just as much as consoles and really there is no winner! PC's lose when it comes to costs, but console prices aren't getting any cheaper, and neither are the games! In fact PC game prices seem t have risen from around £30 for a new game to around £35. But then again console games don't tend to sell for less than £10 and you can get some great PC budget games for around £5 sometimes! So my decision is that I can't decide! The argument is inconclusive!
Fri 06/04/01 at 23:14
Regular
Sorry Edgy, i cant be @r$ed to read all that, not tonight, maye tomorrow

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.