GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help find a cure for cancer"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/04/01 at 14:43
Regular
On Saturday, a childhood hero of mine - David Rocastle - died of a form of cancer. He was 33.

My best friend's dad also died from cancer a few years ago.

I also fear cancer because, though I've never smoked, I grew up with two parents who were heavy smokers; my mum has since given up, but my dad continues to smoke reasonably heavily.

Now all of us with PC's or Mac's have a chance to assist in finding a cure for this disease.

Go to this URL:

http://members.ud.com /vypc/cancer/

(remember to remove the space)

...and download the software. It runs in your computer's spare cycles and analyses potential cures for cancer.

All other relevant info can be found on the site.

If anyone is interested in joining it, I have created a team called 'Special Reserve Forum Regulars'.
Sat 26/05/01 at 12:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's based on how much time you let it run for, and how good your PC is.
Sat 26/05/01 at 11:49
Regular
You generate points when you finish one molecule. It uploads the info and you get pints based on how long your computer has been running.

I think.......
Sat 26/05/01 at 11:10
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
I just joined your team wookiee.... wahoo.. how'd ya generate points?
Sat 26/05/01 at 10:05
Regular
i ll help
Fri 25/05/01 at 17:10
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
My computer at work is running PII 400 and the comparison is 27% of the high end desktop pc.

We shall see what happens on Monday or even Tuesday as I don't intend to be at work on a bank holiday!

Have a good time everyone and here's to a good weekend driving F1 2001!

:)
Fri 25/05/01 at 16:53
"High polygon count"
You may want to check out this post in the UD forums...

http://forum.ud.com/ubbcgi/ ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000008

(Remember to remove the sapce.)
Fri 25/05/01 at 16:47
"High polygon count"
Jive wrote:
> Hopefully be able to catch you up soon.
> How long does it take your computer to process one batch?

The 'average' is around 24 hours for a batch, apparently. but it depends on the information you receive. There were some very complex molecules being sent out which tied machines up for far longer than usual, but they are supposed to be weeding these out for internal processing at United Devices.

Both my work and home PC's are P3-500's, and are apparently only running at 39% of the comparison system - which is a 'high-end desktop system' - P4 1.5GHz, 384Mb RAM, etc.

When I get my new MAXX 1.7GHz next month, that should change... :-)
Fri 25/05/01 at 16:33
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
It depends if you have a PC you can leave on, though.

Personally I'm not too keen on leaving my home PC on when I'm not there, and the agent really needs to be running pretty much constantly, otherwise it doesn't get very far.

If the agent is up to half-a-million or so 'conformers' and you shut down, it has to start again on that particular section, which isn't ideal.

Yeah I can see your point Wookiee, it's a pity about the program loosing all the info when you shut down your machine and I wasn't aware of this.

My machine stays on all the time so I haven't got a problem and work pay for the electricity....haha!!

Hopefully be able to catch you up soon. How long does it take your computer to process one batch?
Fri 25/05/01 at 16:16
"High polygon count"
It depends if you have a PC you can leave on, though.

Personally I'm not too keen on leaving my home PC on when I'm not there, and the agent really needs to be running pretty much constantly, otherwise it doesn't get very far.

If the agent is up to half-a-million or so 'conformers' and you shut down, it has to start again on that particular section, which isn't ideal.
Fri 25/05/01 at 16:05
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
SP6 installed.

UD Agent downloaded and setup.

Special Reserve Forum Regular Team joined!

can't believe that only 8 people are doing this in the SR forums, should be alot more people out there helping out for the good cause!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.