GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo show"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
Well would you look at this. The fellow Nintendo monkeys running around crying because they wanted to see Revolution.

You were told before the show it wasn't going to be there. Why the surprise.

It's the PS3 and X-box 360 show. In fact it is pretty much just the PS3 show. Hence the reason Microsoft did that silly MTV party thing.

What can overshadow the biggest console announcement ever?

No... Nintendo cannot do that.

X-box's gimmick is customisable games, complete with snap on facias. Sony, ultra-realism.

Great ideas but they come at a price. And that price is ours. EA have already stated game prices could rise to as much as £60. And that publishers will have a hard time this generation.

Nintendo's suggestion is different. For starters they haven't cranked up the graphics to a pointless notion that most games developers (sorry all) won't be bothered to meet. But most importantly, Online is free.

The console, games, and online service will be as cheap as a cheap thing that is very cheap. And that's cheap.

Nintendo plan for a 2006 launch alongside Sony. Nintendo are working very hard to reach that. But they don't have anything to show us yet. They don't have time to order their minions to mock up videos and demos. They haven't even finalised the sodding controller yet.

Yet Nintendo fans. Us. Are once again throwing a fit because there wasn't anything concrete on show.

It just isn't the time. It really isn't. Maybe a September Spaceworld will do. But trust me, it makes sense, why show a console that will be overshadowed and ignored because Sony have announced theres.

Nintendo are talking about online plans. They've showed the greatest Zelda demo ever. A handfull of new Gamecube and DS games. And even a new, if slightly pointless, Gameboy... to further attack the PSP.

But still not happy.

The reason why the conference didn't have the impact of last years is because there isn't actually anything to show. I'm not surprised. I'm not happy but nor am I dissapointed. Nintendo's spotlight is still to come.

And I await with baited breath.

Dringo.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:37
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> They still have time, so I don't think they'll rush it, but their slow
> start means that the Revolution launch won't be as game-rich as the
> PS3 and Xbox 360, which isn't exactly going to encourage people to
> buy it.

SUrely you remember the launches of the PS2 and X-box?

They were rushed out and although teh X-box had Halo and PGR (which still isn't really a great launch-list), teh PS2 had Timesplitters 1, which wasn't even that good.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:36
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
I doubt
> they'd make new games in these series so soon after realeasing those.

They said in the press conference that next generation versions of both franchises are already in development.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:31
Regular
They said Online Smash Bros and Shigsy's new franchise game will be launch games.

So I think Mario 128 will probably hit the GC, and it will be a while into the Revolution before we see a Mario or Zelda. I'd like to think christmas 2006, but with Twilight Princess and Mario 128 I doubt they'd make new games in these series so soon after realeasing those.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:07
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> which isn't exactly going to encourage people to
> buy it.

If they can get Zelda, Mario and this new game from Miyamoto ready for launch then I'd say it wouldn't matter.

This is Nintendo though so I doubt they'd do anything quite so amazing.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:05
Regular
"bit of a brain"
They still have time, so I don't think they'll rush it, but their slow start means that the Revolution launch won't be as game-rich as the PS3 and Xbox 360, which isn't exactly going to encourage people to buy it.

If it's released after the other two then Nintendo will have the same problem as the other two consoles will already be established. The less people buy the Revolutoin the less people are available to buy games and so the less games are made by 3rd parties. It's happened on the Gamecube, it'll happen again on the Revolution.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:02
Regular
Yes, I'm appalled by the release list for the Gamecube, but you'd get the exact same thing if they tried to rush out the Revolution, because they wouldn't have had enough time to develop the games for it.

I'm hoping for some huge thirdparty support for the Gamecube over the next year, but I doubt it will happen.

On a plus note though, Madden 2006 looks the nuts.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Oh and less 3rd party support isn't a good thing. It means less rubbish games, yeah, but it means less good games too. With more 3rd party games we could have all the Nintendo games plus the best of the rest - how is that a bad thing?
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
and munn yeah fine for you if you only want one game a year, but I look at the GC lineup for this year and think "I don't want this to happen again"
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:57
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> munn wrote:
>
> This is the most fantastic thing ever.
>
> It would be good, but Wi-Fi in the UK is a load of balls and will
> most likely result in you having to pay for a connection anyway.

They'll probably improve the service for the Revolution coming out though.
I hope.
Wed 18/05/05 at 17:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
yes you still have to pay for your Broadband connection, and using hotspots costs money (not that you'd use your Revolution anywhere but at home).

Also Live! Silver will be free as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.