GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hero"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/11/03 at 11:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Last night, courtesy of a mate, I obtained a copy of a film I've been trying to see for almost 2 years since I heard about it over the net.
It's been released in pretty much every country but here, mate bought me the DVD in Belgrade whilst visiting her family.

Directed by Yimou Zhang, Hero (aka Nameless/Ying xiong) tells the story of an man called "Nameless" (Jet Li), who arrives at the palace of the King of Qin to tell him how he has killed the King's three main enemies that have sought to slaughter him. The enemies, Broken Sword, Flying Snow & Silver Spear are the greatest assassins known in the land, and the king is intrigued as to how Nameless managed to defeat them.
So begins the film.

Nameless' stories are told in flashback form as to how he bested them.
And each flashback is colour co-ordinated, to seperate from each other.
Visually it is absolutely incredible, one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
One of the stories concerning Broken Sword & Flying Snow is red. All characters wear red, the decor is red, the sky is red...stunning and absolutely, incredibly beautiful.
A showdown in a forest, a fight amongst falling leaves and petals and, at the finale, the entire forest turns blood red.

Imagine Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - but with a visual imagination I've never, ever seen before, even in Chinese cinema.
The first encounter is between Nameless and Sky in a chess-house.
The fight is conducted "in the mind", and it puts any supposed cutting-edge CGI effects to shame.
Nameless running through frozen-in-time droplets of water, Sky upside down fighting.
It has the traditional wire-work, but it's done with style and panache with a showdown on a lake, swords breaking the water's surface only slightly etc.

Don't dismiss wire-work simply because The Matrix has introduced it to Westerners. To see Chinese cinema using it to show traditional character's movements through air and water, to demonstrate their harmony with the environment is a work of art.
The closest comparison I can think of, and it is ugly and clumsy and does not do Hero justice, is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

The end of the film, with them fighting in the tree-tops, rivers and clearings. Think that for 90 mins, a genius/amazing/beautiful/unbelievable work of cinema.
The assualt on Zhao Calligraphy school ranks as one of my personal favourite scenes of the last I-don't-know.
Thousands upon thousands (no CGI here, this is an epic) of archers (using their feet) launch hundreds of thousands of arrows towards the school.
A swarm, a black cloud of arrows flying, and Nameless and Flying Snow fighting them away.

Of course it's unbelievable, of course these people shouldn't be able to fight on a lake etc but that's the traditional Chinese folklore of these warriors. That's why the wire-work is amazing, because it's not just to make them flip really cool through the room, it's to enable them to run across mountains, skip over water and climb walls in mid-combat.

Hero/Nameless/Ying Xiong - if you are even slightly a fan of Chinese cinema or just incredible works of visual poetry, then try and find this film and get it.
If you think "Kung fu, wot like The Matrix? Wire work? Seen it", then stick with Kill Bill et al.
This isn't a kung-fu movie, I can't think of one instance of chop-socky.
This is swordsmanship, magic and beauty.

Here's some stills to try and show you what I mean by visual poetry:
http://outnow.ch/Media/Img/2002/Hero/
Mon 26/04/04 at 17:25
Regular
Popping this for those of you interested - 6th of August is the latest UK cinema release date.
Sat 24/04/04 at 14:13
Regular
Presedenté Nash wrote:
> Is it better to watch it subtitles and the audio in Mandarin, or
> dubbed in English. I'm taking a guess at subtitles, but just make me
> sure.

Subtitles, easily.
Sat 24/04/04 at 13:51
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
We'll just wait for SR to ban you.
Sat 24/04/04 at 13:21
Regular
"The State"
if you guys all sign my guestbook and vote in the song poll then i'll stop bothering you!!!!
Sat 24/04/04 at 13:13
Regular
"Teal'c"
Sorry to pop this again, but just a quick question.
Is it better to watch it subtitles and the audio in Mandarin, or dubbed in English. I'm taking a guess at subtitles, but just make me sure.
I'm buying it you see.
Huzzah.
Thu 22/04/04 at 17:23
Regular
I read a preview on this in Total Film a few months ago and it said this has a summer release date, but I haven't seen anything since.

Any news of a UK cinematic release?
Thu 22/04/04 at 16:53
Regular
"lets go back"
Hero sounded really good to me so I scurried off to order a copy about 3 weeks ago but i keep getting emails saying that there are problems with supply so im gonna have to wait for about 2 more weeks.
I hope its worth the wait.
Wed 21/04/04 at 13:53
Regular
"Twenty quid."
If I've got the energy ...
Wed 21/04/04 at 12:28
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Timmargh wrote:
> Come to my house - I'll stick the kettle on.

well ok, but afterwards can we watch the movie?? :)
Wed 21/04/04 at 12:27
Regular
"you've got a beard"
monkey_man wrote:
> I'm getting my girlfriend to buy me this in return for building her a
> wardrobe. True story.

*lol*
they can join the armed forces and vote, but when there's building to be done.. well that's MAN teritory :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.