GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE - Special Reserve: The Game"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/10/03 at 17:02
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Yeah yeah yeah, I know. It was supposed to be judged last year. So sue me. Sometimes I think you freaks don't appreciate how hard I wo... sorry, getting a bit agitated. Anyway, the point is, we've finally got around to polishing off this competition. And I'm happy to announce we have two main winners and two runners-up.

The main winners are...

TGMBloke for his interactive video quiz, and...
Jim-hat and Chad Niga for their SR Lost Gameadays Adventure.

It's obvious that both of these games had hours and hours of effort poured into them, so it'd be criminal not reward the creators. You both get to choose a game of your choice up to the value of £50 (jim-hat and Chad will have to argue it out themselves).

And the runners-up are...

HalloHowArtThou for his excellent monkey SR adventure, and...
Mojojojo for his Spam Hard game

Again, it's great to see people putting real effort into these games and they were a cut above the rest. However, I can't give everyone who made a good game a full prize, so you two will have to make do with a game up to the value of £25.

Thanks again to everyone who entered, part of the reason this competition took so long to judge was because we were having so much fun playing all the games. Give yourself a big pat on the back everyone who entered (and we enjoyed the non-playable entries too, so don't think they went unnoticed). Scroll through this thread and you'll find links to all the winning entries eventually.

Thanks all!
Ali

-----------------------

Those of you who already have your Special Reserve club mags will be feeling a sense of smug satisfaction, but I thought I'd make it official and let all the monkeys on the chat forums know about the latest Extra Gameaday prize. If you want the game of your choice (up to the value of £50) then you'll have to design... Special Reserve: The Game!

We want you to use your extensive game knowledge and expertise to design a game based on Special Reserve! How far you want to take this simple premise is up to you, but the more imaginative efforts are more likely to be rewarded. You can simply jot down a few game ideas such as what kind of game it'll be, main characters, storylines etc. or you can even go further, draw pictures, design levels - it's totally up to you how far you want to take this thing!

What will it be? A Sims-style romp around Special Reserve Towers? A platformer starring our very own Tony? A resource-management set in our Sawbridgeworth store? The choice, as always, is down to you. You should write a short synopsis of your game, complete with characters, storyline and anything else of interest. You can supply illustrations, make flash animation or even (and it's a long shot) code a real game if you desire! Use your imagination and get your game on!

If the entries are good enough then we may think about multiple prizes for this one, and extra special efforts may win a bigger prize than normal, we'll see. You can enter in this thread if you want, post links to games/animations/images etc here, or put them on paper and send them to:

Special Reserve Marketing Department,
Make a Game competition,
2 South Block,
The Maltings,
Sawbridgeworth,
Herts,
CM21 9JX

All entries must be submitted by November 28th (posted entries must arrive on time) and hopefully we'll wade through the entries and pick a winner for Chrimble. Looking forward to seeing the entries to this one to be honest, you lot thrive on competitions where you have to flex your creative muscles!

Possible characters for your game:

Tony
Mr Snuggly
Loki
Darkus
Bob
Candyfloss
Any old staff members etc.
Page:
Mon 27/10/03 at 18:48
Oooh.
Mon 27/10/03 at 18:56
Regular
"SOUP!"
[I posted this before about 1000000 years ago but it has never really been more appropriate.]

Special Reserve: The game

The scenario: SR towers have been raided by angry GAME staff who have run amuck with their pricing guns trying to mark SR’s prices up by 60%. Their evil hackers have broken into the SR mainframe and are changing the website from ‘Special Reserve Discount Network’ to ‘Especially Reserved High Prices’ so that GAME can once again compete in the video game retail market.

As the gamer, you take control of one of 3 characters…

Tony: As wise old Tony you will be armed with a keyboard and an optical mouse to clobber the manic GAME staff with. Tony’s objective is to batter the staff and retains SR’s low prices. Been the charismatic hero, Tony will make sarcastic remarks to the GAME staff before beating them to a pulp, much as he does in the forums. Tony’s mission doesn’t stop there though. In the midst of the break-in Schroeder was kidnapped by the GAME staff and it is Tony’s duty to rescue her. Tony also has a handy laptop in which to keep in touch with the other staffies and play unreal tournament online with. Tony’s game path will see him maul many purple-shirted GAME staff and rescue Schroeder only to be slapped for trying to ‘get off’ with her. After this everything returns to normal in the SR office and life carries on as before.

BEARDS: Selecting BEARDS will throw you into the dark, dismal world as BEARDS himself sees it. You will experience a power cut at the start of the game and be forced to wander around in near-darkness with tense music playing in the background tearing your nerves to shreds. You will be armed with an assault staple gun (taken from the stationery cupboard) and a razor sharp letter opener. BEARDS will tiptoe around the darkened office and GAME staff will burst through doors or jump out from behind PC monitors. You will have to stab them in the neck/head/groin with you letter opener or pump them full of staples. If you don’t kill them properly they will come back to life as purple-heads (No, not crimson heads) and will be faster and mark prices up with more ferocity.
You will stray deeper and deeper into the evil heart of SR towers until you reach the GAME den, where they are rallying previously banned posters to turn against Special Reserve and shop at GAME. As BEARDS you must put a stop to this and kill the evil genius behind it all, Bill Gates! You will need to steal his glasses so you can shove him around without him seeing where you are. You also have the added options of ‘pull funny face’ and ‘make abusive Microsoft related comment’ at your disposal.
After defeating evil Mr Gates life will return to normal for the rest of Special Reserve, but BEARDS will spend the rest of his life in an asylum jabbering about the ‘evil men in puple shirts’. GAME go bankrupt and SR open club shops in places people have actually heard of.

Mr Snuggly: Playing as Snuggly will draw you into the world of the man who has possibly the most bizarre internet name ever. You will have a number of objectives to fulfill and the entire game will be played as a platformer (i.e. leaping from desk to desk hyped up on coffee) You will need to update the GAD list despite the distractions from screaming GAME staff, annoyed at Special Reserves generosity at giving free games out. As Snuggly you will also need to change all of the prices back on the SR website and leave threatening messages on GAME’s guestbook. Mr Snuggly comes equipped with a floppy disc for those important back-up files and his dinner money (which can be used to bribe GAME’s minimum wage staff). As the front man, Snuggly will put almost everything aside to defend Special Reserve and he proves his loyalty by ending the game with a spectacular shootout in the Basildon superstore with Anne Robinson (God knows why!). Mr Snuggly then returns to normal, fixes the photocopier that has been playing up and then drives home in the silver sports car that is parked outside.

As well as the single played missions there will be a multiplayer ‘covert’ mode in which up to 3 players can attack the GAME staff, rainbow six style. This can take place in a number of locations, the Basildon Superstore, the EA head office, the GAME store in Edinburgh and on top of the statue of liberty. The multiplayer can be played online against human competitors or on a console again friends or computer controlled bots.

What sort of game would this be without mini-games? Well it would probably be like a Dreamcast game but less of that.

SR Chair Race: The alleged competition that occurs before Christmas each year in the Special Reserve office can be re-enacted time and time again in this Mario Kart style mini game. You can take control of Tony in the stylish leather chair, Mr Snuggly in a run-of-the-mill office chair, Schroeder in her pink, heart shaped comfort chair or BEARDS in an old armchair he found in a skip. Power-ups can be picked up from desks and used to your advantage. Paperclips can be scattered in front of opponents to slow them down, hot coffee can be thrown over other racer to scald them and make them veer to the side, ink cartridges can be lobbed at opponents heads to make them lose control of their chair and the computer mouse that can be used as a lasso to hook other racers wheels.

SR wrestling: Staffies can beat the living daylights out of each other in the office with no holds barred rules. Each staffie will have their own signature move. Tony will have the Tony-driver, Schroeder will have the Schroeder slammer, Mr Snuggly will have the User Banned dropkick and BEARDS will have the almighty sarcastic taunt. The wrestlers can punch, kick, throw each other through desks, beat each other with Epson 640’s and hurl CD’s at each other. The game modes include, last staffie standing, staffie cage match, and office championship matches.

World’s Strongest Staffie: This world’s strongest man based game will see just who is the tough guy off the office. Contenders will lift monitors, drag the photocopier 100 meters and test their endurance in the ‘pit of paper cuts’. The strongest staffie is the won to win the most contests, which also include – The GAD lift, the arm wrestling extravaganza and the dinner queue sprint. The winner of the contest will get to wear one of those paper crowns you get in Christmas crackers for a whole day, oh yes.

Special Reserve: The Game is due for release, never! It is merely an idea that will live in the back of my mind until I die or get amnesia.
Mon 27/10/03 at 18:57
Regular
"Special Reserve :: Good Service"

"The idea of the game is to actually provide good service. This isn't going to be easy, it'll actually be difficult, but it can be done. 30 missions on and you will have guided one of five staffies through a unique storyline where they actually provide good service. Unreal I know, but anything can happen in the gaming world!"
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
DW, SR have always provided pretty good service for me. Then even changed a faulty hard drive... eventually.
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:17
Regular
I was only kidding. :c)
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:27
"period drama"
The opportunity for cynical urine extraction is gigantic.
I'm overwhelmed
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:28
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
you better be, i can remember Little jimmy, he complained about a game that wasnt delivered for 3 weeks, and the next thing that we heard about him is that someone had sent anthrax throw the post to him.
I'm not saying it was SR (altouhg it probably was) but dont take that risk.

Think of little jimmy
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Go Go Super SR Building Battle

After inserting your disk, you are asked whch is your preference:
"Quick and hard"
"slow and soft" or
"big and painful"
The game then whisps you off into a fantasy realm, the camera panning through a large cityscape, replete with bustling streets, congested traffic and huge skyscrapers. As the camera pans through the streets like a spidered-man swinging on homemade rope, we can see the faces of the pedestrians contort and twist in tortuous agony. The camera stops high above the city, swooping into the sky like some deranged pigeon. As the camera lingers over the urban landscape, there is a subtle movement in the buildings, followed by a massive quaking of the very foundations. Buildings start collapsing and you can hear the eerily distant screams of the citizens perishing under thousands of tonnes of concrete.
As the dust settles, we can see only four buildings remaining. The camera cuts to each in turn:
"HMV"
"GAME"
"play.com"
"Special Reserve"
The buildings start to rumble and suddenly they all erupt from their foundations. This is where Go GO Super SR Building Battle puts you in control.
You play as the SR building, and must destroy as many of the other buildings around you as you can, to earn Kudos points, which you can then use to drive through the rubble strewn streets with greater speed and control, as you pick up corpses to stock your canteen, and fix the damage your building incurs during the battling.

A versatile 'Move Melting' system allows you to combine any two moves and create devestating combos. Moves will include:

"Lift going up!", where a small light moves slowly up the length of the building until it reaches the top, causing massive, irreversable damage not only to your opponent, but also to you

"Bomb in the basement"
A slow erruption in the bowels of your building sends out flames in all directions, burning the lower floors of your opponent whilst also weakening your foundations.

"Clocking off"
You can guess what this one does: WHOOMF

"Streamlining"
Your building becomes small and more efficient as staff are laid off at alarming speed, under the guise of 'streamlining'. Useful for recovering energy.

Plus many, many, many, many more.
You as the player move through one, lonely stage, building your reputation as ULTIMATE BUILDING FIGHTER OF THE LAND, before a really big spaceship comes along and nukes the entire wasteland. It is here that the game really begins. You must now commence an effort to return the game without being asked what's wrong with it, because you are too scared to say "it's rubbish". This is very difficult. The End.

The game will require a unique control device, consisting of a wheely office chair strapped to a fire extinguisher.
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:39
Regular
"the burning sky"
So when does the Walkthro's list get updated?
Mon 27/10/03 at 21:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
AJ's game WILL win.

WILL!
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.