GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Horace and the Spiders - Spectrum 48k"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/10/06 at 15:48
"possibly impossible"
From the moment I opened the game and put the shiny tape into the player I could feel that this game would be fun.

Sure enough, as the loading screech finished and the game menu appeared, I pressed the key to start and found myself in a mysterious blue hilly land.

Horace was last seen skiing down the hillside in Horace goes Skiing. This further adventure sees the lovable round guy facing scary spiders in their webbed caverns.

The very first level starts with an action packed adventure, where you encounter the ‘scout’ spiders, sent to guard the road into the caverns. The detailed hilly landscapes give you a sense of atmosphere. I niftily avoided these evil looking spider sprites with a swift jumping manoeuvre which saw me sail above their heads. Timing the jumps perfectly, I was finally able to leap the ridge on to the next piece of rocky path and then make my way to the next screen.

Shock! On level 2, a deep chasm fell away before me and my only hope of crossing were some perilously hanging ropes. But the spiders were ready, moving the ropes themselves up and down to goad me into giving up. I narrowly avoided a swift death by jumping across the spiders ropes in the nick of time and getting to their cavern. This level has danger and pin-point accuracy, heightened by the sharp graphics and great plinkity-plonkity effects of the spiders and the rasping of my jumps.

The next level is where it’s at. A huge web appears across the screen. The graphics really bring this to life. I needed to smash a hole in the web and then lie in wait, like a ninja, for the spiders to come and repair it. Jumping up, I landed straight on the startled spider and smashed it into the floor below. What a feeling of relief to see it explode on the floor and die.

Horace and the spiders is a great game, with good graphics and interesting sound effects, making the most of the Spectrum’s sound chip. I found it a little short, but it has great replay value, where you can aim to get the highest score possible.

I give it 7/10

for pictures see:
http:// homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.fraser1
/TRBv2r2/games/horaceandthespiders.htm )
Fri 27/10/06 at 14:04
Regular
Heh, nice one ... I had Horace goes Skiing on the speccy ...
Thu 26/10/06 at 15:48
"possibly impossible"
From the moment I opened the game and put the shiny tape into the player I could feel that this game would be fun.

Sure enough, as the loading screech finished and the game menu appeared, I pressed the key to start and found myself in a mysterious blue hilly land.

Horace was last seen skiing down the hillside in Horace goes Skiing. This further adventure sees the lovable round guy facing scary spiders in their webbed caverns.

The very first level starts with an action packed adventure, where you encounter the ‘scout’ spiders, sent to guard the road into the caverns. The detailed hilly landscapes give you a sense of atmosphere. I niftily avoided these evil looking spider sprites with a swift jumping manoeuvre which saw me sail above their heads. Timing the jumps perfectly, I was finally able to leap the ridge on to the next piece of rocky path and then make my way to the next screen.

Shock! On level 2, a deep chasm fell away before me and my only hope of crossing were some perilously hanging ropes. But the spiders were ready, moving the ropes themselves up and down to goad me into giving up. I narrowly avoided a swift death by jumping across the spiders ropes in the nick of time and getting to their cavern. This level has danger and pin-point accuracy, heightened by the sharp graphics and great plinkity-plonkity effects of the spiders and the rasping of my jumps.

The next level is where it’s at. A huge web appears across the screen. The graphics really bring this to life. I needed to smash a hole in the web and then lie in wait, like a ninja, for the spiders to come and repair it. Jumping up, I landed straight on the startled spider and smashed it into the floor below. What a feeling of relief to see it explode on the floor and die.

Horace and the spiders is a great game, with good graphics and interesting sound effects, making the most of the Spectrum’s sound chip. I found it a little short, but it has great replay value, where you can aim to get the highest score possible.

I give it 7/10

for pictures see:
http:// homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.fraser1
/TRBv2r2/games/horaceandthespiders.htm )

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.