GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cost of Alcohol."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/03/09 at 10:35
"possibly impossible"
Since drinking seems to have gone up in price in Scotland and similar ideas have been talked about here, it's worth discussing whether this will affect you.

I don't think it will change my drinking habits if prices rise. I don't drink enough to be really affected by it but I can see there are plenty who will.

If it stops at least some drink related incidents or cuts down on binge drinking then it's probably worth it, just as raising the cost of cigarettes seems to work on a small scale. However, if they raise the tax level to increase prices then this should go back into something related, like more money for the NHS.

Any thoughts or comments on how price rises on drink would affect you or the nation as a whole?
Thu 12/03/09 at 13:31
"possibly impossible"
Isn't it the Supermarkets where they need to hit the hardest anyway? You can buy far more alcohol in Tesco without someone telling you that you've had too much and refusing to serve you...
Thu 12/03/09 at 13:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
A litre of premium cider £1.96 at Tesco.

A pint of standard draugh Cider (Strongbow/Blackthorn etc) approx. £2.70 at a pub.

Raise the prices of drinks in bars...fine, people will just choose to pump their money into a supermarket chain instead.

*hic*

Honeschtly don't sthink that rasching the prisches will doooo *raises finger and prods your chest* n....n...anything!

*hic*
Thu 12/03/09 at 09:22
"possibly impossible"
You don't need to drink.

Much.

Sometimes.

Where's that bottle?
Sat 07/03/09 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Comrade Alfonse wrote:
> They expect us to watch the world fall apart sober?
> I wish the world would just legalise various drugs so I could
> slowly kill myself in peace =]

Go with it CA..I'll join you:-D
Sat 07/03/09 at 20:12
Regular
They expect us to watch the world fall apart sober?
I wish the world would just legalise various drugs so I could slowly kill myself in peace =]
Sat 07/03/09 at 19:04
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I totally agree with Vee.

It seems to me, from the posts I've read, to be a rather similar 'argument' to a smoker that has given up - totally sanctimonious. You know, I did it for xxx years and now I don't - so those that do are total wasters etc etc.

There has always got to be a sense of 'balance' in these discussions - one side says I never have and the other side says I always do. The 'median' is never reached. Vee is spot on, finding a way to stop anyone 'binge-drinking', girls or boys, is the 'Holy Grail'.

However, do costs play an important role in this debate?

Those that can afford it, do - their choice; those that cannot, do - also their choice, but this time at what cost?

This problem cannot be totally directed at 'social standing' either because it does run throughout all classes and does cause extreme problems. However, certain 'areas' excuse it, but other 'areas', unfortunately, are regularly highlighted.

We have all been on the receiving end of 'drink-fuelled' actions, whether it be verbal, physical or just 'louts' attacking your home for some unknown delight. Will increasing the price rectify this situation - I doubt it.
Sat 07/03/09 at 06:42
Regular
Irresponsible drinking wont be deterred by price increases...whilst the booze is available, people will buy it.

It's like drugs...if people want them, they'll find a way to get them. Never mind that they're illegal.

I'm never against anyone enjoying themselves with alchy, but there is a national drinking problem in the UK and at the moment I just can't see goverment initiatives tackling the problem.
Fri 06/03/09 at 23:27
Regular
"Mooching around"
I'll still be on SU prices for a fair few years yet, let me live in bliss :)
Fri 06/03/09 at 09:44
"possibly impossible"
Well, this seems to have got everyone talking anyway!

The other side of the arguement is really whether cost is going to deter the hardcore drinkers, but the only other option is to somehow change the way that parts of society view drinking and the less desirable outcomes.

I have no idea how this can be done, we are so far down the line with the way that some stupid people think that binge drinking is somehow a sign of being cool that it's going to be very hard to change.
Fri 06/03/09 at 05:52
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
If booze was to go up in price i probably wouldn't even notice. I dont think i ever pay any notice about how much drinks are when im out. I dont even know the prices of drinks. I only notice if im actually buying booze from a shop. i can spend anywhere between £40 to £150 a night. (I don't go out as often as i use too)

> Now we just have to find out a way to stop girls going out and
> binge drinking and getting into fights.

Cant say i get in to any fights. Enough fights go on without me adding to it :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.