GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thank You Lloyds!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/01/09 at 17:16
Regular
"THFC"
About 10 minuted after i got in today, put on the first episode of 24 and got comfortable! Looking forward to seeing the first hour of the always interesting Jack Bauer's day and then the phone rang. As usual it was no one i actually knew and someone asking if i was avaliable to chat. When they said they were Lloyds i took interest and after the initial D.O.B and bank questions, the next question they asked shocked me;

"Did you try to transfer (my entire bank account) to another Lloyds tsb account?"

I immediately knew this was wrong and someone was in my account, they had tried to empty the whole thing into their account! I thought back to an e-mail i had got a few days earlier, to which i was asked to update my details, from a professional looking e-mail and when the link opened it was exactly the same as what you would normally have when you log in on the internet. I did, without thinking, updated my details, then within minutes later i thought - wait that isn't right i shouldn't have done that. So i changed the details very quickly, hoping i had done enough and been worried over nothing.

It turns out that the clever little so and so had tricked me in time and they were almost running away with my savings and cash. Thankfully the good people at Lloyds noticed i never make big transfers or do that kind of thing, so the phone call came in and they stopped the money, hopefully they will be after the thief who was trying to steal other people's hard earned money. I do not doubt that they managed to secure other details from people and have got the money in their account now, but i have to be very grateful for the hard work and quick reacting from Lloyds. I was able to save my money and change all my details so they little b*gger is not able to do it again.

A warning to anyone who is getting e-mails from Lloyds, they never send them and will only ever call you. I was lucky enough to save my money and prevent the hacker getting my details.

Hope no one else is having problems with this! I didn't get punished for my naive and foolish decision making from internet banking and hopefully everyone will be as lucky as me.
Wed 28/01/09 at 22:06
Regular
I thought for a second that it might've been an obvious mistake by the fraudster :P
Wed 28/01/09 at 21:28
Regular
"THFC"
Edgy wrote:
> Emmie87 wrote:
> [email protected]
>
> llyods?

i meant lloyds lol - see what happens when i rush things!
Wed 28/01/09 at 21:17
Regular
Emmie87 wrote:
[email protected]

llyods?
Wed 28/01/09 at 21:16
Regular
I imagine it is actually quite easy for fraudsters to create email accounts that look legitimate. There are computer viruses out there that can mask emails to look like they've come from people in your contacts lists when they haven't.

I can understand how you were near-conned, and am very glad you weren't. Knowledge is power in these cases and unfortunately professional fraudsters tend to have that little bit more knowledge (i.e. you weren't aware that banks never send emails requesting an update to your details).

Most banks have anti-phishing policies and suggest you follow their procedures in attempt to catch these evil sods.

Paypal, for example, recommend you forward them the email and they'll reply very quickly to tell you if it is legitimate or not. Also, if you forward suspicious emails to abuse@(your ISP domain) your ISP will normally chase it up (though wont always reply).

Make sure you've up to date internet security too - Most browsers now have anti-phishing checkers, and a lot of internet security suites have them as standard too.

Most importantly, if you get any emails or calls from banks, building societies government offices or any other organisations that ask you for your information - ask for their telephone number - then ring the company back under the number in the phone book and ask if legitimate. Never be afraid to terminate an unsolicited call.

Watch out for suspicious letters too. Between me and my fiancée's family, we've won the 'Euro Milliones' a few times, but have to pay a tax to claim them by forwarding our bank details...funny that under UK legislation we don't pay tax on lottery winnings.

Why does this make me sound paranoid? ;)
Wed 28/01/09 at 20:54
Regular
"THFC"
It was incredibly stupid of me but the e-mail was so professional and the page it took me to was spot on, but i was in a rush checking e-mails so once i had done it thats when i went back and changed my details, but was too late!!

I didnt actually know they never send e-mails, i do now but it was a fact i didnt know until it was potentially too late. I have had a couple of dodgey phone calls before and they are easy to spot as you say they dont know your name. But this e-mail was well done and came from [email protected] - which i would have imagined a hard e-mail to fake, normally they are weird e-mail names.

oh well, it all ended ok! lol
Wed 28/01/09 at 19:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
As HM has stated, these 'emails' are generally easy to spot because of their laughable use of the english language. However, I'm surprised that you didn't spot a 'fake' email from your own bank! But I'm glad that the end result was swiftly rectified.

I have dealings with quite a few 'banking institutions and here is a link to the freely available advice that one of them provides - it's almost a carbon-copy of every other bank/building societies advice:

Alliance & Leicester

I have received quite a few of these emails over the years, but what is amazing, is that I have never banked with any of the 'banks' requesting 'details'!!!

The only occasion I had was two years ago following a purchase of ram from Crucial. Quite a legitimate supplier, but my bank rang to check that the pruchase was correct, because Crucial weren't part of a secured supplier list held by the bank. I thought that was good service.

Glad you're ok.
Wed 28/01/09 at 19:23
"possibly impossible"
Yeah, glad to hear it was sorted before anything major happened to your money. Just don't believe any emails from banks in the future.
Wed 28/01/09 at 18:53
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Also they don't know your name initially - they'll call you customer. If it was from the bank or building society, they'd call you Mr Joe Bloggs etc. The links will be to the right website and not to some weird one and generally scam emails have really bad grammar and spelling mistakes.

Glad Lloyds stopped anything major happening!
Wed 28/01/09 at 18:25
"Are you sure?"
School Boy Error!

NO REAL FINANCIAL INSTITUTION WILL EVER SEND AN EMAIL ASKING FOR YOU TO ENTER YOUR USER DETAILS !

You were unlucky as most up to date browsers these days will tell you that this is a phishing site when you click the link.

FWIW - If my bank phoned me and asked me to answer 'security' questions I wouldn't! How do you know it wasn't me that phoned!?

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 28/01/09 at 18:10
Regular
"Monochromatic"
You should never EVER use links sent in emails unless you've requested them (password resets etc). Silly Rabbit

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.