GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thank You Lloyds!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/01/09 at 17:16
Regular
"THFC"
About 10 minuted after i got in today, put on the first episode of 24 and got comfortable! Looking forward to seeing the first hour of the always interesting Jack Bauer's day and then the phone rang. As usual it was no one i actually knew and someone asking if i was avaliable to chat. When they said they were Lloyds i took interest and after the initial D.O.B and bank questions, the next question they asked shocked me;

"Did you try to transfer (my entire bank account) to another Lloyds tsb account?"

I immediately knew this was wrong and someone was in my account, they had tried to empty the whole thing into their account! I thought back to an e-mail i had got a few days earlier, to which i was asked to update my details, from a professional looking e-mail and when the link opened it was exactly the same as what you would normally have when you log in on the internet. I did, without thinking, updated my details, then within minutes later i thought - wait that isn't right i shouldn't have done that. So i changed the details very quickly, hoping i had done enough and been worried over nothing.

It turns out that the clever little so and so had tricked me in time and they were almost running away with my savings and cash. Thankfully the good people at Lloyds noticed i never make big transfers or do that kind of thing, so the phone call came in and they stopped the money, hopefully they will be after the thief who was trying to steal other people's hard earned money. I do not doubt that they managed to secure other details from people and have got the money in their account now, but i have to be very grateful for the hard work and quick reacting from Lloyds. I was able to save my money and change all my details so they little b*gger is not able to do it again.

A warning to anyone who is getting e-mails from Lloyds, they never send them and will only ever call you. I was lucky enough to save my money and prevent the hacker getting my details.

Hope no one else is having problems with this! I didn't get punished for my naive and foolish decision making from internet banking and hopefully everyone will be as lucky as me.
Thu 29/01/09 at 20:34
Regular
pb wrote:
> A bit like people who sign up for cashback from 'Shopper' sites,
> eh Machie? ;)

That's different :) I didnt expect a company to pass on my credit card details. It should be against the law to do that. :P
Thu 29/01/09 at 18:55
"Are you sure?"
FWIW Don't fall for phishing this came out this afternoon...

Edit: Short BBC video from a PayPal bod.

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 29/01/09 at 15:59
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
> Aww silly Emmie :D didnt we all do that test awhile ago to spot
> the fake emails? I remember I got 100% :)
>
> So glad they stopped it for you Emmie, as the others said always
> best to go to the website and never click any links. I get lots
> of those emails though, especially from paypal.
>
> The fake email addresses arent to difficult to do. I remember
> sending emails to people on Special Reserve from the 10 Downing
> Street email :) I forget what it was now.

A bit like people who sign up for cashback from 'Shopper' sites, eh Machie? ;)
Thu 29/01/09 at 14:44
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I don't think my bank knows my email address. It was nice of Abbey (who I don't bank with) to say that there had been unauthorised access on my account...
Thu 29/01/09 at 11:14
Regular
"THFC"
It was a close shave - but at least now i will be super careful with it, because i always think it is one of them things where you dont think it will happen to you!

Like i said i have learned a lesson and will be a lot more careful from now on!
Thu 29/01/09 at 10:56
Regular
Aww silly Emmie :D didnt we all do that test awhile ago to spot the fake emails? I remember I got 100% :)

So glad they stopped it for you Emmie, as the others said always best to go to the website and never click any links. I get lots of those emails though, especially from paypal.

The fake email addresses arent to difficult to do. I remember sending emails to people on Special Reserve from the 10 Downing Street email :) I forget what it was now.
Thu 29/01/09 at 10:04
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
My bank (Nationwide) sends e-mails, but they always put my postcode at the top as to show that's it an real e-mail from them. Though I still never reply to them, my thinking is if it's important they'll write a letter or phone.
Thu 29/01/09 at 08:38
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It's really funny sometimes, you'll receive e-mails from banks you haven't even heard of, expecting you to upday your security details with them. Bizarre.

Not so long ago, I had a phishing e-mail from Paypal. If I find the thread I wrote about it I'll post it as it contained about 10 things you can look for to see if it is a scam e-mail. But the best tip, if they ask for it, don't give it - or go into your branch to check!
Thu 29/01/09 at 08:02
Regular
"THFC"
I spoke to a few other people and it turned out that they didn't realise that banks never sent out e-mails. Makes me feel a bit less stupid lol.

Well im glad that my bank managed to stop it from happening, i know several people who have been done by card fraud or other types and getting the money back is never as easy as it first seems. Hopefully they catch the person doing it and will be able to prevent it happening.

And also thanks to all the help and advice people have given on here i hope other people can gain some useful info from it.
Wed 28/01/09 at 22:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Emmie87 wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> Emmie87 wrote:
> [email protected]
>
> llyods?
>
> i meant lloyds lol - see what happens when i rush things!

Mis-spelling is an obvious give away, but always check any links that may appear in the email. Hover on them and usually in bottom left-hand corner the 'true' link will be displayed - this will usually be mis-spelt as well or point to a totally different address:-)

ie mis-spelt link to 'Aliance' may be 'Allance' in the task bar display!

If you look carefully before deletion these emails usually reveal an awful number of errors, and as Edgy states, you can usually forward them to your bank's security service - they usually provide an email address on their site.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.