GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discussion"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/01/01 at 13:56
Regular
I was reading the mailbag on another website (what, there are other websites?) and somebody made the following point:

PS2 games are simply high-res cousins to the PS-One versions.

Do you see this as being true with the launch titles?
Wed 24/01/01 at 13:56
Regular
"not dead"
I was reading the mailbag on another website (what, there are other websites?) and somebody made the following point:

PS2 games are simply high-res cousins to the PS-One versions.

Do you see this as being true with the launch titles?
Wed 24/01/01 at 22:34
"High polygon count"
> PS2 games are
> simply high-res cousins to the PS-One versions.

It's definitely true of some titles - Ridge Racer 5 and Tekken Tag are the obvious connections that most people will make between PS1 and PS2 games.

TimeSplitters has no PS1 equivalent. Nor does SSX. Yes there were FPS and Snowboarding games on PS1, but not under the same names, so they're not really 'cousins'.

Every truly original game that appears makes it that much more difficult another orignal game to appear, because it's another idea used up. True, there's no set number of original videogame subjects, but those that remain become that much harder to find! Probably 90-something percent of new games can be placed into existing genres, the last new addition to which was probably Stealth.

I personally have no problem with sequels, if the game in question is good enough to warrant them, and sufficient new ideas or improvements are included.

A lot of people drag up the issue of PS2 'sequels', but it seems to be a weak excuse to have a pop at the machine. But the same can be said of all formats; every Nintendo has a version of Mario or Donkey Kong, every Sega has a Sonic. They're all sequels of a kind.

Even the PC has a large amount of them: the Command & Conquer series; a new MS Flight Simulator every year; Commandos 1 & 2; Monkey Island 1 to 4; FIFA (just like PlayStation!); Wing Commander; Quake 3; even Unreal Tournament is a sequel. Yet no-one's making a big deal about these non-Sony formats.

Any game that sells in any serious quantity on any format will get a sequel. Crazy Taxi 2? Deus Ex 2? And if they sell well, there'll be a third.

Basically, if you don't want any sequels, don't buy any games! :-)
Wed 24/01/01 at 22:51
Regular
Hi! Sorry to butt in on the subject, but I`m looking for your advice, (WM and MD). I would be uncomfortable asking this question normally, but I noticed that the two of you are already winners. So, my point is that I was lucky enough to win gameaday, and was wondering what to get. (NOw you know why I`m uncomfortable).

Anyway, I have Tekken Tag, SSX, TimeSplitters and Kessen. I am not into sports games much (i.e. not fifa or nfl etc...), and couldn`t decide if anything else that was around was worth it.

Is it possible to ask for a game that is not out yet? I noticed that WM asked for Moto GP which wasn`t out at the time, so I`m assuming its possible. If so, I`d probably go for the Bouncer, because that way, I haven`t wasted my money if the game turns out to be as bad as Dailyradar suggested, and yet will be extremely pleased if the game is good. However, would the 90 day claim thing come into play if the Bouncer isn`t released in the next 90 days?

Thanks, (and sorry if this seems like showing off or anything, its just I don`t know what to do...)

ssxpro.
Wed 24/01/01 at 23:34
"High polygon count"
Well, firstly, congratulations on winning!

The '90-day claim' rule only means that you have to claim your prize within 90 days of your name appearing on the list; it doesn't matter when the game will actually be released - so you could, for example, claim MGS2... even if it doesn't come out until next year!

As for recommending games... I hate doing it, because games are very much down to personal taste.

Of the games I have that you don't, and discounting the sports games, I would recommend DoA2; I prefer it to Tekken Tag, but as I said, it's just personal taste.

I won't recommend any games that I don't own! I also, personally, wouldn't nominate The Bouncer as it would be a shame to waste a free game if it is as bad as they say. But it's your choice, matey!

I probably haven't been much help here; apologies if that is the case.
Thu 25/01/01 at 09:55
Regular
"not dead"
Yes, congratulations on winning. WM is right, you can claim any game (as long as it doesn't come bundled with a non-game item) no matter when it is released. Someone has already claimed a Gamecube game, so it doesn't even have to be out soon!

As far as what to get I can't offer much help, though I'd go for something that has a solid release date set. Though again, that depends on whether you are satisfied with the games that you currently have. If you're still getting plenty of play from existing games in your collection, then it won't do any harm to claim a game that isn't out yet!

Of course you could always claim a PSX game, just to make your decision even harder!
Thu 25/01/01 at 18:35
Regular
Thanks to you both, I`m glad I`m able to "pre-claim" because I am happy enough for now with the ones I have. I may go for Z.O.E or GT3. Maybe DOA2 if I get bored.
Thanks again.

ssxpro
Thu 25/01/01 at 22:57
Regular
What are your thoughts on Star Wars Starfighter? That is one of the only decent looking PS2 games (in my opinion only) that has a release date on the list at this site. The others like Z.O.E. have TBA, so I still don`t know.
Thu 25/01/01 at 23:13
"High polygon count"
Starfighter looks promising, but I'll probably try it out somewhere before I buy it - I've bought 2 Star Wars games in the past (I am also a big fan, as the name probably suggests!) and been disappointed.

Z.O.E. looks awesome, but even if it's not, it will be worth the price just to get hold of the MGS2 playable demo that will come with it! :-)

GT3... well, it looks like a game every PS2 owner should have, even if they don't like racing games!
Thu 25/01/01 at 23:19
Regular
"Whatever!"
I cannot wait for Starfighter!! Ive just got Star Wars Demolition and although its a good game the PSOne is really showing its age, so a PS2 Star Wars game will be more than welcome. I think it could be an excellent title if the gameplay is up to scratch, its definately one of the best looking!!

Z.O.E should be amazing. This is another of my most anticipated titles and with a MGS2 demo as well its an absolute must!!!
Fri 26/01/01 at 22:13
Regular
meka_dragon, I noticed that on one of your gameaday wins, it says donated next to it.
Donated what to who?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.