GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have You Ever Noticed??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 22:28
Regular
I always thought that Tekken 2 had brilliant graphics for a game of its age.
I also thought that Tekken 3 and F1 2000 had great graphics.

I hadn't played Tekken 2 for a while-I'd been to engrossed in Tekken Tag Tournament.

Today, I played Tekken 2. The graphics were....rubbish compared to the graphics on TTT.

Of course, this is to be expected. But, it's surprising. You've always thought a game had great graphics, until you see the next version on a different console.

It's the same with F1 2000. I compare them to F1 World Championship Season 2000 on PS2, and....you can't compare them really!!

I played Driver 2 for the first time today. I was so surprised when I saw the graphics. I thought they were extremely poor!!
Of course, the graphics are great for a PSX game, but when you've played a PS2, you really notice the difference.

Also, you begin to notice all the pixels and polygons more!!
I'd never really noticed them before, but all of a sudden, they're as clear as daylight!!

Has anyone else experienced this??

What this shows, is that there is a big difference in the capabilty of the consoles.
The people who said that the PS2 is no better than the PSX have no idea what they're talking about!!

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS- Just thought I'd tell ya, my mate today called the PSOne a P-Sone!! LOL!!
Thu 25/01/01 at 18:17
Regular
"I like cheese"
ortega wrote:
> Ant wrote:

I didn't notice that much difference between
> the
> two.

>Remember though, the N64 has double the power.
>

nah nah i dont agree. even without my glasses i can notice it.
> ther is a huge difference in graphics between the n64 and psx. no
> psx game is on the same level as n64, graphics wise. yeah because
> the 64 is more powerful. but just because it is 64 bit and the psx
> is 32 bit dont make it twice as powerful. if u looked at it in that
> way then the ps2 would only be twice as powerful as the 64, but its
> much more powerful isnt it?

Actually, MGS and GT2 on PSX have better graphics than most N64 games.

And again I have to say, it certainly isn't a huge difference, just a small one.

Perhaps there could be a huge difference, but Sony have done well keeping up, and perhaps the N64 still hasn't been used to its full potential.
Wed 24/01/01 at 19:55
Regular
have u played perfect dark?.........no i dont think think so.
Wed 24/01/01 at 19:53
What are you talking about the N64's graphics are cartoony?
Wed 24/01/01 at 19:46
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was going to write something good but I cannot be bothered now!
Wed 24/01/01 at 19:45
Regular
Ant wrote:

I didn't notice that much difference between the
> two.

>Remember though, the N64 has double the power.

nah nah i dont agree. even without my glasses i can notice it. ther is a huge difference in graphics between the n64 and psx. no psx game is on the same level as n64, graphics wise. yeah because the 64 is more powerful. but just because it is 64 bit and the psx is 32 bit dont make it twice as powerful. if u looked at it in that way then the ps2 would only be twice as powerful as the 64, but its much more powerful isnt it?
Wed 24/01/01 at 18:58
I must say yes i have noticed this a lot, but one thing is i have been playing Dino Crisis 2 and must say it has very good graphics :)
Wed 24/01/01 at 18:26
Regular
"smile, it's free"
My point it...it doesn't try to do anything new, and I don't like that. SNES --> N64 was a BIG change. Completely different pads, four ports, etc. The only thing that suggests the two are related is the 'Nintendo' tag. Another example, Saturn --> Dreamcast. Well, you can see the differences for yourself.

I don't like the PS2 because it is, simply, a more powerful PS1 (with internet access, perhaps..)
Innovation is the way forward. Chances should be taken. Any PS2 owner who complains of the amount of games sequels being released has nobody to blame but themselves for buying the biggest sequel yet.
Wed 24/01/01 at 17:54
Regular
"I like cheese"
VenomByte wrote:
> meka_dragon wrote:
>I read elsewhere
>The PS2 games
> are
> merely High-Res versions of their PS-One
>
> cousins.

>Discuss.

I agree. But then what else did you
> expect?
PS2. It's named like a sqeuel, it's backwards compatable,
> it uses PS1 pads. It's hardly a leap into the next generation of
> consoles, is it? It's a nice, smooth transition designed to snare
> all those gullible PS owners, who are evidently already very keen on
> sequels, and just give them a better version of the same thing. The
> games reflect the console.
Sure the PS2 will probably do well, but
> I havent been impressed by the PS2 in the same way I was with the
> dreamcast shortly after its release. Being priveliged enough to have
> played extensively on both, I'm in as good a position as anyone to
> make this comment.
I'm sure the better PS2 games will come, but the
> Dreamcast really deserves better than the early grave it seems
> destined for.

I'm gullible?? Wrong.

Just cos the PS2 plays the old PSX games, doesn't mean it's just an add-on to the PSX!!

The graphics are loads better, the pixels and polygons aren't visible, it plays a lot faster, it's completely different!!

There are already great games-TTT, TimeSplitters, SSX and more to come.

The Dreamcast may have more good games, but Sony are set to be releasing hundreds of games this year-and the line-up is mouthwatering.

venombyte wrote:
>It's a nice, smooth transition designed to snare
> all those gullible PS owners, who are evidently already very keen on
> sequels, and just give them a better version of the same thing.

I'm afraid that's bo**ocks. Surely you are saying that the Gamecube is just a better version of the same thing??

What's the same?? The controllers look the same?? It's named the same??

Surely every games console is a better version of the previous console.

Wed 24/01/01 at 14:03
"possibly impossible"
Some PS2 games are fantastic looking, but I wouldn't put it past lazy developers to 'slightly update' PS1 games so that they look like they've had a graphical makeover, but in fact have just washed their grubby faces in older brother's dirty water.

Port overs from any console or PC game can suffer this though, it's not just a PS2 problem, and how much does it really matter? In the past I would have said not a lot, but since you can already play most PS1 games with improved graphics on a PS2, then it's a bit of a waste of resources to create something for the PS2 that looks like a PS1 game.

Unless it's good.
Wed 24/01/01 at 13:59
O.K. so the graphics of the older consoles arent as good as the newer versions, thats what we expect Higher Resolution Graphics, Smoother Animation etc... and the Dreamcast and PS2 deliver all this, however this alone doesnt make the games any better.
ISS Pro Evolution on the PS1 may not be as graphically impressive as the latest PS2 version but it plays better.
I feel sorry for you guys if you cant play a game because the graphics are not a shinney and new as they first seemed... I love playing the original MarioGames and MarioKart on the SNES, they are great fun, the playability is there and thats what matters. Just like Goldeneye, not as HiRes as Perfect Dark which takes advantage of the N64 Expansion Pack...but still a greatly playable game. Driver and Driver2 both dont have the crispest graphics but they more than make up for this loss in playability!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.