GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have You Ever Noticed??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 22:28
Regular
I always thought that Tekken 2 had brilliant graphics for a game of its age.
I also thought that Tekken 3 and F1 2000 had great graphics.

I hadn't played Tekken 2 for a while-I'd been to engrossed in Tekken Tag Tournament.

Today, I played Tekken 2. The graphics were....rubbish compared to the graphics on TTT.

Of course, this is to be expected. But, it's surprising. You've always thought a game had great graphics, until you see the next version on a different console.

It's the same with F1 2000. I compare them to F1 World Championship Season 2000 on PS2, and....you can't compare them really!!

I played Driver 2 for the first time today. I was so surprised when I saw the graphics. I thought they were extremely poor!!
Of course, the graphics are great for a PSX game, but when you've played a PS2, you really notice the difference.

Also, you begin to notice all the pixels and polygons more!!
I'd never really noticed them before, but all of a sudden, they're as clear as daylight!!

Has anyone else experienced this??

What this shows, is that there is a big difference in the capabilty of the consoles.
The people who said that the PS2 is no better than the PSX have no idea what they're talking about!!

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS- Just thought I'd tell ya, my mate today called the PSOne a P-Sone!! LOL!!
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:28
Regular
"I like cheese"
I always thought that Tekken 2 had brilliant graphics for a game of its age.
I also thought that Tekken 3 and F1 2000 had great graphics.

I hadn't played Tekken 2 for a while-I'd been to engrossed in Tekken Tag Tournament.

Today, I played Tekken 2. The graphics were....rubbish compared to the graphics on TTT.

Of course, this is to be expected. But, it's surprising. You've always thought a game had great graphics, until you see the next version on a different console.

It's the same with F1 2000. I compare them to F1 World Championship Season 2000 on PS2, and....you can't compare them really!!

I played Driver 2 for the first time today. I was so surprised when I saw the graphics. I thought they were extremely poor!!
Of course, the graphics are great for a PSX game, but when you've played a PS2, you really notice the difference.

Also, you begin to notice all the pixels and polygons more!!
I'd never really noticed them before, but all of a sudden, they're as clear as daylight!!

Has anyone else experienced this??

What this shows, is that there is a big difference in the capabilty of the consoles.
The people who said that the PS2 is no better than the PSX have no idea what they're talking about!!

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS- Just thought I'd tell ya, my mate today called the PSOne a P-Sone!! LOL!!
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:36
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, I went back to the original Resi a few days ago, I actually found it unplayable because of the appauling graphics, the characters were undefined against the background, and what previously looked like a perfectly innocent piece of wall suddenly leapt out and had a pop at my neck...
The game itself was nowhere near as good as I remember it, a good example of how sequels can be used to good effect by the developers to improve gameplay - lack of a 360 turn and dodging abilites that I'd grown used to from Resi 3 and CV -were gone, and even the pre-rendered static backgrounds look poor. Still havent improved translation of the dialogue though...
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:40
Regular
"Whatever!"
I know what you mean, I got Driver 2 not that long ago and the graphics were extremley poor for a PSX title, great game however.
Tekken Tag is fantastic to look at and when compared to Tekken 3, which a few months back I would have classed as visualy stunning, it is just lightyears ahead of it graphically!!
I notice the polygons and pixels more now on each of my PSOne titles, surprising how far we have come in just a short ammount of time!!
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:43
Regular
yeah i fond the same thing when i played on the psone after years of gorgous n64 graphics. psx graphics are nothing compared to 64 graphics. and i really did see the step down from 64 to psx. driver 2 may have poor graphics but it is a game u can pick up and just play for hours. i love the game.
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:55
Regular
"I like cheese"
ortega wrote:
> yeah i fond the same thing when i played on the psone after years of
> gorgous n64 graphics. psx graphics are nothing compared to 64
> graphics. and i really did see the step down from 64 to psx.
> driver 2 may have poor graphics but it is a game u can pick up and
> just play for hours. i love the game.

I didn't notice that much difference between the two.

Remember though, the N64 has double the power.
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
ortega wrote:
> yeah i fond the same thing when i played on the psone after years of
> gorgous n64 graphics. psx graphics are nothing compared to 64
> graphics. and i really did see the step down from 64 to psx.
> driver 2 may have poor graphics but it is a game u can pick up and
> just play for hours. i love the game.

I know and you take that step up from PSX to N64 which is twice as good and later on this year we will have the NGC and the XB, times the best PSX graphics by 4 and....wow!

I can't wait 'til the GC comes round!

The Game
Wed 24/01/01 at 09:30
Regular
"not dead"
Ant wrote:

What this shows, is that there is a big difference in the
> capabilty of the consoles.
The people who said that the PS2 is no
> better than the PSX have no idea what they're talking
> about!!

I read this elsewhere:

The PS2 games are merely High-Res versions of their PS-One cousins.

Discuss.

MD
Wed 24/01/01 at 13:44
Regular
"smile, it's free"
meka_dragon wrote:
>I read elsewhere
>The PS2 games are
> merely High-Res versions of their PS-One
> cousins.

>Discuss.

I agree. But then what else did you expect?
PS2. It's named like a sqeuel, it's backwards compatable, it uses PS1 pads. It's hardly a leap into the next generation of consoles, is it? It's a nice, smooth transition designed to snare all those gullible PS owners, who are evidently already very keen on sequels, and just give them a better version of the same thing. The games reflect the console.
Sure the PS2 will probably do well, but I havent been impressed by the PS2 in the same way I was with the dreamcast shortly after its release. Being priveliged enough to have played extensively on both, I'm in as good a position as anyone to make this comment.
I'm sure the better PS2 games will come, but the Dreamcast really deserves better than the early grave it seems destined for.
Wed 24/01/01 at 13:49
Regular
I believe that the PS2 is using "advertising" and "reputation" steroids. These are likely to build it up quite strong.

Unless however, nurses like "Capcom" and "Squaresoft" keep giving it stablising game drugs like "final Fantasy" and "MGS" then it is likely to cause serious damage to the system.

Back to the point...

Goldeneye isn't quite the eye candy it used to be.
Amiga games aren't as playable as they used to be.
We're getting seriously fussy!
Wed 24/01/01 at 13:59
O.K. so the graphics of the older consoles arent as good as the newer versions, thats what we expect Higher Resolution Graphics, Smoother Animation etc... and the Dreamcast and PS2 deliver all this, however this alone doesnt make the games any better.
ISS Pro Evolution on the PS1 may not be as graphically impressive as the latest PS2 version but it plays better.
I feel sorry for you guys if you cant play a game because the graphics are not a shinney and new as they first seemed... I love playing the original MarioGames and MarioKart on the SNES, they are great fun, the playability is there and thats what matters. Just like Goldeneye, not as HiRes as Perfect Dark which takes advantage of the N64 Expansion Pack...but still a greatly playable game. Driver and Driver2 both dont have the crispest graphics but they more than make up for this loss in playability!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.