GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Official: Dreamcast Is DEAD!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 20:05
Regular
I'm speechless :( Taken from CVG

Sega has confirmed the death of Dreamcast at the end of March: you read that right: SEGA IS PULLING OUT OF THE HARDWARE MARKET GLOBALLY

Nikkei has just posted the news that Sega has confirmed it is to cease production of Dreamcast in March. The company has simply lost too much money over too long a period. And that's that.
Although confirmation as to the company's plans for the future has yet to be revealed, the news service reports that the machine will be marketed until the end of the year. Sega has, according to the report, five PlayStation 2 titles in the works and two for Game Boy Advance.

Dreamcast is DEAD. We'll have a full report tomorrow.

-- Steve --
Tue 23/01/01 at 23:10
Regular
Nah no one will buy it if everything is gonna stop stocking up by March. Please let it be something good for Nintendo at least.
Tue 23/01/01 at 23:08
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Damn! Now I have got to get my dreamcast sooner that expected (SR Save one for me!)

Do you realise that everyone is going to want a Dreamcast now! The Hardware sales will shoot through the roof.

Damn SEGA why couldn't they wait 'til after my holiday, I won't get paid in time to get one now!!!

Well I guess Daddy can finance a loan of some sort. I hope they go on to make games, I think the best game ever was produced by Sega...can't think what it was but I mean you understand right?!

Damn Damn Damn! Incosiderate Japanese, I know we love them but Damn them *cough* *cough*. I have a cough by the way!

I think they should least churn a couple of titles out before they go, Go out is style as the old Japanese proverb goes! It was Jap proverb....right?

They were going to make a shenmue 2 but now hopefully Nintendo will claim the title!

SONY would only mess it up!

Well anyway, Dam Sega, I guess we can forgive them and I really do want a Dreamcast Now, Hope I can still get one!

The Game

PS: Feel Free to hurl abuse at my lack of consideration!

Tue 23/01/01 at 23:07
Regular
okay okay........if DC is dead i just want to know which console all u sega fans are going to buy. i think most of ya sega fans are longtime fans and if u want quality games to keep on coming then u will choose Nintendo gamecube. i was just wandering how this will affect the other consoles. if nintendo were to follow the footsteps of sega it would be a tragedy. but i cant see it happening with all the money the get from gameboy. personally i think this is good for nintendo. i think they will benefit most from death of DC. i reckon for next gen console's the battle will be between sony and nintendo. and sony will probably win again. i hate to say it, but it already has a one year lead. personally i think the x-box will be a flop. is anyoone even considering buying it? i'd buy it for £100 but nothing more.

Tue 23/01/01 at 22:49
"Uzi Lover"
Rumour or is this real stuff?
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:37
Regular
It's not dead, just dying of a horribl console disease called "Making Deficits".

It was a disease that had thought to be curable by advertising and great games.

Despite state of the art medication like "MSR" tablets, "Shenmue" cream and "Arsenal Sponsership" powder, the cures seem to have had no effect on the machines sorry state.

It has seemed to have inherited disease from it's late Mother, The Saturn who caught due to neglect from many great doctors such as Squaresoft and Konomi.

Dr Sega is still issuing life support drugs until around march when it will pull the plug and start producing drugs/medicines for other patients such as the Gamecube and Xbox.

We would like to thank the DC for it's first class innovation and entertainment values and wish for many owners to stick with it until it's death.

It is rumoured to have laid and egg containing ofspring but Dr Sega has denied the existance of such a thing. It will be buried between it's mother, The Saturn and great grandfather Mastersytem.

May it rest in peace!
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:19
Regular
"I like cheese"
I agree with Grix (for once!!)

It gives Sega better chance to get back, but as Grix thought, it does seem a little early. I expected it around the time the GameCube came out.

Tue 23/01/01 at 21:46
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hmmm......
Tue 23/01/01 at 21:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
ts not all from Nikkei Online... heres Reuters take on the story...

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Sega Corp. 7964.T , which is facing severe competition from rivals Nintendo Co. Ltd. 7974.OS and Sony Computer Entertainment, will give up the game console business, Nihon Keizai Shimbun said.

Wednesday's edition of the economic daily, monitored in New York on Tuesday, said Sega will stop producing its Dreamcast game console by the end of March and will focus on developing and marketing game software instead.

Sony Computer, maker of the popular PlayStation 2, is an affiliate of electronics company Sony Corp. 6758.T .

Last November, Sega reported a 17.98 billion yen ($153 million) net loss for the April-September period, largely due to hefty cuts in overseas sale prices of the Dreamcast game console.

On Monday, a report said Sega was to unveil a business plan this month to supply software for Sony and possibly Microsoft Corp's MSFT.O upcoming game console system "XBox."

A Sega spokeswoman earlier in Japan said the company had nothing to add currently to an announcement it made in October, when it said it planned to provide software for rival game systems but would not withdraw from the Dreamcast hardware business"
Tue 23/01/01 at 21:05
DREAMCAST IS NOT DEAD> MY POST READ IT NOW you simply must ok - production has ceased, but the soul still burns.
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:51
Oh god i hope Shenmue and Shenmue II comes out on PS2 then...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.