GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Official: Dreamcast Is DEAD!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 20:05
Regular
I'm speechless :( Taken from CVG

Sega has confirmed the death of Dreamcast at the end of March: you read that right: SEGA IS PULLING OUT OF THE HARDWARE MARKET GLOBALLY

Nikkei has just posted the news that Sega has confirmed it is to cease production of Dreamcast in March. The company has simply lost too much money over too long a period. And that's that.
Although confirmation as to the company's plans for the future has yet to be revealed, the news service reports that the machine will be marketed until the end of the year. Sega has, according to the report, five PlayStation 2 titles in the works and two for Game Boy Advance.

Dreamcast is DEAD. We'll have a full report tomorrow.

-- Steve --
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:05
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I'm speechless :( Taken from CVG

Sega has confirmed the death of Dreamcast at the end of March: you read that right: SEGA IS PULLING OUT OF THE HARDWARE MARKET GLOBALLY

Nikkei has just posted the news that Sega has confirmed it is to cease production of Dreamcast in March. The company has simply lost too much money over too long a period. And that's that.
Although confirmation as to the company's plans for the future has yet to be revealed, the news service reports that the machine will be marketed until the end of the year. Sega has, according to the report, five PlayStation 2 titles in the works and two for Game Boy Advance.

Dreamcast is DEAD. We'll have a full report tomorrow.

-- Steve --
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:11
Regular
To be honest...

I'm glad. In order for Sega itself to survive, it had to make a large sacrifice. I'm glad they have done, as it means that they have now a MUCH bigger chance of getting back on their feet.

It is a lot eariler than expected mind. I was expecting NEXT march, not this one.

Ah well.

Dreamcast is dead.

Love live Sega!
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, it's not all bad.

Firstly, there are plans for having DC cards on computers etc. This will continue into DVDs so that consoles will still come in all shapes.

Secondly, there are so many games in production, and such a large captive audience already that game production will no doubt continue for the while at least.

Finally, I have no doubt that Microsoft, or another such company will buy SEga from CSK. After all MS make the win CE OS on the DC

SonicRav
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:16
Does that means Dreamcasts will be cheaper? I want one,
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:18
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I spose', I'm just gutted for em' y'know.

Sega - Thank you for giving me some of the greatest gaming experiences ever!

Long live the Dreamcast! *sniff*

-- Steve --
Dreamcast
1999-2001
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:24
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I would like to say, sega are not dead... the DC is. You can still get sega games on the PS2/xbox/whatever. They have been making games for the GBA/Wap phones/PDAs for a while, and acclaim hold some rights for Crazy taxi and 2 other games on the PSx (whether they will ever release them...)

I doubt sega will ever be a hardware company again though- after 2 disasters, they can't do it. Sad really:-(

SonicRav
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:28
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Games Domains Write up...

DC is dead
Reported by Kevan Mander
Sega has ditched the Dreamcast.

Sega has pulled the plug on the Dreamcast after huge losses on the next-generation console proved too much for the company.

Four years of losses on the console has forced Sega’s hand and the machine will be manufactured until the end of March. Marketing for the system will continue until current supplies for the console have run out. In the mean time software will still be developed for the gaming system.

Sega will be turning its hand to software development with five PS2 titles and two for Game Boy Advance planned. No word, as yet, if the company plans to develop for PC.

This leaves Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to battle it out for the top selling machine.
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:38
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I *may* have got ahead of myself here guys.

ALL of the UK and US reports originate from Nikkei Online.
None of the other Japanese news rooms are carrying this news. None of the US news rooms are carrying it.

Not to mention that to read the "official" line at their site, you MUST REGISTER with them, which costs money.

-- Steve --

Tue 23/01/01 at 20:45
I will just get mine imported. IGN believe it could be another rumour like NIntendo buys SEGA. Think though why have sega released pictures of Shenmue 2. It is so stupid. i believe it may be a rumour.
Tue 23/01/01 at 20:51
Oh god i hope Shenmue and Shenmue II comes out on PS2 then...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.