GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't Wast Your Money - Buy A Dreamcsat!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/01/01 at 20:21
Regular
Can someone please explain why i have just wasted over £400 on a Sony Playstion 2 with Memory Card and 2 games?
The graphics are better on my PC (I have a Athlon 1Gh 32MB GE Force 2 256Mb SDram & DVD) but OK this cost me Over a Grand and I Carn't play Psone games errr No I can play Psone games via Bleam! and before anyone says about PS2 gmes that is another subject over £70 for 2 games of which one Tekan 2 is a good but average game and X-Squad which now is an Expensive Mousemat, as it can hardly be described as a playable game!
Haveing digresed from my origanl point fair is fair either the PS2 carn't or sony is not tring hard enough to match there £300 book End er I mean Console to a £1000 PC But what about the N64 it only costs £80 and comes in a cute Picachu modal and with so few but so many games,in the sense that most N64 titles are far and few between there are Exelent titles Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Zelda, Pokemon Stadium and pushing my luck Pokemon Snap and Mario Tennis.
But thing to the future, there appears to be no future for N64 with the less hyped probaly cheeper and better Gamecube is around the corner.
Now having rambbled on about PCs and N64s I come to what the title says "Don't Waste Your Money - Buy A Dreamcast" and I mean it, Honastly.
Firstly the PS2 £300 for the console ok it plays DVDs but add on £28 for a Memory Card and £15 for a Controller and £35-£45 a game its relly expnsive when the game are not up to scatch, as well as owning tekan and my mouse mat (X- Squad) I have played, RR5, Midnight Run, Fifa 2001 and with the exeption of Fifa all had Psone quality graphics and Gamplay not seen sine an Atari 7800!.
Now take the Dreamcast you can buy at this very shop for £186 or ther abouts with 6 yes count them 6 games including the Exelent Sonic Adventure (Match This Game Sony) and the also Exelent Soul Calibar combind this with the mediocor ready to rumble and the Poor tomb raider (poor on all formats) and add the iceing with a online multiplayer Game and what can i say the Ps2 doen't even come with a Modem!
This brings me to the other features of the dreamcast Internet Access Trough Your TV No cable no dish not even an ariel requied just the Dc and a phone line. With all the features mentioned and the 6 games just bundled with this dreamcast having more playabilty than the currunt UK Ps2 Catolog I could rest my case but no people will say I am plugging this shop I'm not try any store and you'll get a DC with Games for bewteen £140 and £200, Also athough i do not own a dreamcast I soon will and all my mates do so that is how i know about the quality of games. Finaly for you who say well the DC does not feauture A DVD player two tree words High Street £130 (For which you get superia qualaty a seperate box and a Remote Controll).
For anyone who may still need convincing look below
Sony PS2 £300 Includes DVD Player and High Street Cred
Sega Dreamcast Includes Internet Access and GAMES £186 and add a DVD for £130 if thats what you want?
Mon 22/01/01 at 20:21
Can someone please explain why i have just wasted over £400 on a Sony Playstion 2 with Memory Card and 2 games?
The graphics are better on my PC (I have a Athlon 1Gh 32MB GE Force 2 256Mb SDram & DVD) but OK this cost me Over a Grand and I Carn't play Psone games errr No I can play Psone games via Bleam! and before anyone says about PS2 gmes that is another subject over £70 for 2 games of which one Tekan 2 is a good but average game and X-Squad which now is an Expensive Mousemat, as it can hardly be described as a playable game!
Haveing digresed from my origanl point fair is fair either the PS2 carn't or sony is not tring hard enough to match there £300 book End er I mean Console to a £1000 PC But what about the N64 it only costs £80 and comes in a cute Picachu modal and with so few but so many games,in the sense that most N64 titles are far and few between there are Exelent titles Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Zelda, Pokemon Stadium and pushing my luck Pokemon Snap and Mario Tennis.
But thing to the future, there appears to be no future for N64 with the less hyped probaly cheeper and better Gamecube is around the corner.
Now having rambbled on about PCs and N64s I come to what the title says "Don't Waste Your Money - Buy A Dreamcast" and I mean it, Honastly.
Firstly the PS2 £300 for the console ok it plays DVDs but add on £28 for a Memory Card and £15 for a Controller and £35-£45 a game its relly expnsive when the game are not up to scatch, as well as owning tekan and my mouse mat (X- Squad) I have played, RR5, Midnight Run, Fifa 2001 and with the exeption of Fifa all had Psone quality graphics and Gamplay not seen sine an Atari 7800!.
Now take the Dreamcast you can buy at this very shop for £186 or ther abouts with 6 yes count them 6 games including the Exelent Sonic Adventure (Match This Game Sony) and the also Exelent Soul Calibar combind this with the mediocor ready to rumble and the Poor tomb raider (poor on all formats) and add the iceing with a online multiplayer Game and what can i say the Ps2 doen't even come with a Modem!
This brings me to the other features of the dreamcast Internet Access Trough Your TV No cable no dish not even an ariel requied just the Dc and a phone line. With all the features mentioned and the 6 games just bundled with this dreamcast having more playabilty than the currunt UK Ps2 Catolog I could rest my case but no people will say I am plugging this shop I'm not try any store and you'll get a DC with Games for bewteen £140 and £200, Also athough i do not own a dreamcast I soon will and all my mates do so that is how i know about the quality of games. Finaly for you who say well the DC does not feauture A DVD player two tree words High Street £130 (For which you get superia qualaty a seperate box and a Remote Controll).
For anyone who may still need convincing look below
Sony PS2 £300 Includes DVD Player and High Street Cred
Sega Dreamcast Includes Internet Access and GAMES £186 and add a DVD for £130 if thats what you want?
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:54
Regular
I agree !

buy a dreamcast, they're cheap to buy (even cheaper 2nd hand), and there are loads of very good games. I've got one, and I think its brill.

but don't wear blinkers, psx-1 gmes are good too (playstations are cheap and so are the games), psx2 games are ok, and will get better. They'll get cheaper too. When X-box and gamecube I'll buy 'em too, because i bet they'll both be good aswell.

a long dead rock star once sang
'i'd prefer a feast of friends than a giant famine'
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:55
Regular
yeah, i should be getting a dreamcast this week. i only want it really to play shenmue. that games looks suburb. my mates getting me the DC with 3 games for £45. quality deal dont ya think.
Mon 22/01/01 at 23:32
Regular
too right !!

[quickly jumps off soap box]
there are loads of flippin good games for dc, quite taken with MSR, haven't gotten shenmue, 'work's gotten in the way
Tue 23/01/01 at 12:10
Regular
You are an employer at a company, and only two poeple turn up for a job interview. The job being advertised is a very long term position where you would like the future employee to continue for many years, and adapt with the company, providing new ideas. The two people that turn up are 1) A man with a few qualifications, barely capable of performing the job, who will retire very soon, and 2) A young student, who has the potential to gain many great qualifications, and who will adapt and learn quickly with the company, and as a result will earn considerably more when he is fully qualified, however, he has the disadvantage that he isn`t yet at the level the company require, and will require a little time in training first.

As the interviewer/employer, do you choose the elder man who will suffice for now, but won`t last long at all, or do you choose the student who is not yet up to standard, but who has far more potential in the future?

You might be right that Dreamcast games have the edge at the moment, but how long do you think that`s going to last? I think that Dreamcast owners should allow future buyers to decide when they know all the facts, not just the short term factors. The PS2 already has a few decent titles, which is more than most consoles manage at release (DC included), and the array of good titles will be outstanding by the end of this year. The PS2 situation will be further improved with the addition of on-line gaming and the hard drive in 2002, leaving the Dreamcast as a distant and virtually forgotten memory.

Does this discussion board have to be continually flooded with topics started by Dreamcast owners trying to say their console is better? Its been done before, and the arguments are the same every time, so please give up and accept that the Dreamcast will be very short-lived.
Tue 23/01/01 at 13:03
"High polygon count"
Save you fingers, ssxpro - it's not worth the effort!
Tue 23/01/01 at 17:24
Regular
Imagine you're going into hospital, and you have to have a serious operation. Would you rather let:

1) An experienced veteran surgeon, who has provided life to many people, and hardly ever goes wrong.

Or.

2) A student new to the practition, costs a lot more to have preform, and although he uses all the same things that the older man uses, he still hasn't quite got the hang of them yet.

I know this is quite unrealistic, but if you leave the student for a while, not only will he gain experience, but he will also become cheaper to use. Seems like a fair deal if you're *patient* enough. Har har.

And although the Dreamcast will survive until... March next year? There is still quite a bit of life left. And a wonderful life at that.
Tue 23/01/01 at 18:35
In reply to ssxpros message

If it was a real company they would hire the older more experienced guy (Dreamcast) as a temp or just weight for a better person to apply for the job (Game Cube or XBox). Rather than waste time and money employing someone that isn’t even qualified (or good enough) for the job in the first place (Play Station 2).
Tue 23/01/01 at 22:58
Regular
To Grix: You watch too much ER! In reality, Med students are more likely to perform with care and precision than some old guy with arthritis. I`m sorry if I didn`t make the student below clear, but what it was supposed to be, was a student that has the qualifications and potential, yet lacks the experience.

The perfect situation would be a well qualified individual, with some experience, but with plenty of life left in it, i.e. the PS2 in 3 - 6 months.

To Wookiee Monster: I`m beginning to think your right. (Which wouldn`t be the first time).
Tue 23/01/01 at 23:45
"High polygon count"
> To Wookiee Monster: I`m beginning to think your right.
> (Which wouldn`t be the first time).

:-)

I really can't be bothered responding to the trolls any more. It's been done over and over and they keep coming out of the woodwork.

It's boring and incredibly lame, and I just cannot understand why anyone goes looking for a forum about a machine they don't like, just to post inane drivel that they think no-one has read before. I'm all for decent discussion, but these posts are just tedious, and the half-wits that keep posting them really must have far too much spare time and far too little education; and yes, I DO include all the PS2 owners who do the same on other format's forums.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.