GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Graphics Make A Game??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 22:21
Regular
I know this has been posted before, but I have a different viewpoint.

Okay, so most people say gameplay is more important. Of course, to make a great game, you need great gameplay.
BUT, in some games, as well as good gameplay, you need good graphics.

What I'm getting at here, is that in games like Civilisation, or Chu-Chu Rocket, you don't need brilliant graphics, as the gameplay and other aspects make up for it.
But, it would be better if it had great graphics as well, right??

Take...Metal Gear Solid and Perfect Dark. Now sure, both these games have brilliant gameplay, BUT, they wouldn't have been what they are, without the superb graphics.
Just imagine playing MGS or PDark, with the graphics you'd expect on a GameBoy. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good, would it?!?

We know graphics don't just make a game, but they contribute to 50% of why people like the game, and in the case of the Japanese, around 99% of it. {:)

Some people have said that graphics don't matter, but on most games, they DO!!

So next time you say, "Oh, the graphics don't matter much. It's the gameplay that matters," you would be half right, but most games NEED excellent graphics, to succeed.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 19/12/08 at 18:27
Regular
[B]St.Austell the largest Town in Cornwall,0ver 22,000 residents, no carnival,very few annual events, sounds that are often heard echoing around st.austell bay, well lets not just talk about it, lets do something about it. In January 2009 i am planing on getting together a few friends and people who have been there and start planning a annual local event. Of course the final plan will depend on the direction of the formed committee but your input and views are also needed to direct the committee in the direction of what the majority of the public wants.
Thu 18/12/08 at 20:17
Regular
[B]St.Austell the largest Town in Cornwall,0ver 22,000 resiidents, no carnival,very few annual events, sounds that are often heard echoing around st.austell bay, well lets not just talk about it lets do something about it. In January 2009 i am planing on getting together a few friends and people who have ben there and start planning a annual local event. Of course the final plan will depend on the direction of the formed committee but your input and views are also needed to direct the committee in the direction of what the majority of the public wants.
Mon 22/01/01 at 15:39
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Graphics will keep you playing a game for months, gameplay keeps you playing for years
Mon 22/01/01 at 10:09
Regular
"not dead"
Grix Thraves wrote:

>I think, not graphics, not gameplay, but controls make a game. Think about it.

>The most enjoyable and addictive game in the world MUST have
> good controls, easy to learn, hard to master.

As everyone else has ignored this post, I thought I'd reply.

Controls have to be good, else the game becomes awkward to play, but controls cannot maketh game!

I thought that the controls to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter were great, but you had to perform impossible jumps, that ruined the game! This wasn't because the controls were poor, but the level layout.

Another example is Holy Magic Century, not bad controls, but there was too much wandering around empty space, so the game got boring.

Controls are just another ingredient in the mix that makes a game great, other ingredients include graphics, sound and presentation. Gameplay is contributed to by all of this.

md
Sun 21/01/01 at 23:14
Regular
the best football game ever made. alot of people will say ISS pro evoulution. I beg to differ. surly the best footy game ever was sensible world of soccer for the amiga. does anyone agree? i had years of gameplay with that game. it was quality. i loved it because u could be manager and and still actually control all the players (in its day that was amazing). go through an entire season doing every single competition. the game had nearly all the teams in the entire world. it even had indian club teams. thats what i call detail. it was a great game for a floppy disk. easily best gaem in my mind on the amiga and also in my opinion the best footy game.
Sun 21/01/01 at 20:01
"possibly impossible"
Gameplay makes a game.
Graphics make a game better.

If you can see the look on an opponent's face and the graphics are good enough to show eyebrow movements and emotion then it makes the game more enjoyable, especially if the game requires you to sympathise with certain characters. Obviously there is a big dispute over 3D, whether it is better than 2D or not, but it certainly made a big difference when Mario came out on the N64, jaws dropped at the time.

There have been many conversations on this site about wanting to see 3D games on handhelds, limitations of these handheld's graphics and on making games more realistic. Okay, so you can have a good game with bad graphics, but it's more involving and has a better 'wow' factor if the graphics set new standards.
Sun 21/01/01 at 18:07
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Grahics make a picture... Gameplay makes a game
Sun 21/01/01 at 17:21
Regular
"I like cheese"
er-no wrote:
> thanks you Ant

My pleasure.
Sun 21/01/01 at 17:10
Regular
"everyone says it"
thanks you Ant
Sun 21/01/01 at 10:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
er-no wrote:
>
If you read any magazine it shows screenshots! These screenshots
> are getting better and better, not many people will have noticed
> that most companies are know looking towards stunning the gamer with
> graphics then anything else.

I dont think it is on, Graphics dont
> make the game but they improve the experience of the gaming.

Can
> anyone imagine playing Soul Calibur with pixelated polygons as the
> characters, the characters in the game enhance the experience of the
> game, this will begin to become a major part of games in the future,
> this is why I am looking forward to the GBA which is going back to
> side-scrolling 2D games, F-Zero will be brill because the creators
> have gone for Gameplay and Lastilbility.

I think a game should
> only really be judged by its Gameplay and its Lastibility.

The
> N64 Expansion pack made a difference to the game, but only in the
> form of the Graphics.

Overall Graphics Enhance the experience.
> and nothing else.

Nicely said. You put your point through well, and it's true.

That's a Gameaday winning message er-no.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.