GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Graphics Make A Game??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 22:21
Regular
I know this has been posted before, but I have a different viewpoint.

Okay, so most people say gameplay is more important. Of course, to make a great game, you need great gameplay.
BUT, in some games, as well as good gameplay, you need good graphics.

What I'm getting at here, is that in games like Civilisation, or Chu-Chu Rocket, you don't need brilliant graphics, as the gameplay and other aspects make up for it.
But, it would be better if it had great graphics as well, right??

Take...Metal Gear Solid and Perfect Dark. Now sure, both these games have brilliant gameplay, BUT, they wouldn't have been what they are, without the superb graphics.
Just imagine playing MGS or PDark, with the graphics you'd expect on a GameBoy. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good, would it?!?

We know graphics don't just make a game, but they contribute to 50% of why people like the game, and in the case of the Japanese, around 99% of it. {:)

Some people have said that graphics don't matter, but on most games, they DO!!

So next time you say, "Oh, the graphics don't matter much. It's the gameplay that matters," you would be half right, but most games NEED excellent graphics, to succeed.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:21
Regular
"I like cheese"
I know this has been posted before, but I have a different viewpoint.

Okay, so most people say gameplay is more important. Of course, to make a great game, you need great gameplay.
BUT, in some games, as well as good gameplay, you need good graphics.

What I'm getting at here, is that in games like Civilisation, or Chu-Chu Rocket, you don't need brilliant graphics, as the gameplay and other aspects make up for it.
But, it would be better if it had great graphics as well, right??

Take...Metal Gear Solid and Perfect Dark. Now sure, both these games have brilliant gameplay, BUT, they wouldn't have been what they are, without the superb graphics.
Just imagine playing MGS or PDark, with the graphics you'd expect on a GameBoy. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good, would it?!?

We know graphics don't just make a game, but they contribute to 50% of why people like the game, and in the case of the Japanese, around 99% of it. {:)

Some people have said that graphics don't matter, but on most games, they DO!!

So next time you say, "Oh, the graphics don't matter much. It's the gameplay that matters," you would be half right, but most games NEED excellent graphics, to succeed.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:23
Thats what I tried (but failed) to get across when I wrot "gameplay isn't the only thing that matters in games."
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:26
Regular
"I like cheese"
M.Farras wrote:
> Thats what I tried (but failed) to get across when I wrot
> "gameplay isn't the only thing that matters in games."

Judging by your spelling of "wrote" I think I know why you failed to get across.

{:)
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:29
Regular
Aha but Marilyn Munroe didn't have good graphics as well! It was black and white!
I've said this before, metal gear nor Perfect Dark is no match for any new console out already or the soon to come ones.

The Gameplay in PD is good, it makes you come back for more in multiplayer mode.
The Gameplay is indeed more important you can't leave Grahpics out but neither could you leave gameplay on the end of the list.
Remember the old classics, Doom and Duke 3D, now they look your old shirt made smaller by the washing machine.

But if you played them properly you would find that the game is cool, and you want to carry on.
The leaner the gameplay the fatter the game is. If you've got 100 hours of gameplay and brilliant graphics doesn't mean it's going to be the Best Game Ever.
That is only when every corner of the gameplay department is done and dusted.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:29
Regular
Pac-man
Tetris
Pokémon (GB versions)
Space invaders (still available on GB)
Donkey Kong (The first ever platform game - Made by Shiguru Myamoto)

These classics didn't need graphics at all and they are probably some of the best games ever invented!
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:31
Like i said ant , i failed to get it across!!
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!

Sniper and edgy just said exactly what I was saying.

I see what you mean Farras.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:34
at least this topic gets a lot of replies though.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:34
Regular
Ah! But Gameplay is the most important thing to do first.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:37
Regular
"I like cheese"
SNIPER wrote:
> Ah! But Gameplay is the most important thing to do first.

Yes, it is. You always need gameplay. But some games need graphics as well. Not all, but some.

Ah!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.