GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The cost of DVD's"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/01/01 at 20:33
Regular
While I'm an avid supporter of new technologies (while I realise that the DVD format is hardly new, they are only now starting to become popular in the UK), there is one thing that concerns me: the price of the movies.

Now I appreciate the fact that film companies have to make some money out of transferring their movies on to the DVD format; but is there really any need to charge so much for the discs?

I know that the picture and sound quality is better than standard VHS, but using the extra's argument to sell DVD's sometimes at more than £8 extra per disc than the cost of a VHS video seems rather extortionate.

My point is, that more often then not, the only extra's that are put on the disc are a documentary on why the film's director thought it was such a good film.. (oh, and on the odd occasion a deleted scene that was probably left out of the movie because it was so awful). This type of documentary are more often then not made at the time of filming (so to reduce costs) and often very short.

Furthermore, there are a lot of discs that have been released with no extras other then a scene selection and a interactive menu, (e.g. Pulp Fiction springs to mind). Wow.. that's great. That's worth 20 quid as well.

What would be nice to see, perhaps is a documentary with say Quentin Tarantino... post film reaction interviews with the cast. *Proper* *Exclusives* to the DVD format.

Now *that* would get people to buy the DVD's. That would get DVD players into home, and that would encourage more and more people to take the plunge in to the digital movie player.

Perhaps even making discs the same price as VHS, but hey, that's too much to ask, isn't it ;)
Fri 12/01/01 at 23:17
New technology is always more expensive at first, but just wait a year or two and it will come way down in price. We're already seeing £9.99 films for older classics and some kids DVDs.
Fri 12/01/01 at 23:14
I agree.. wouldn't that be nice!
Fri 12/01/01 at 20:47
Regular
A drop down to the old £9.99 for VHS and £12.99 for top 10 DVD`s would be nice, but i can`t see that happening soon
Fri 12/01/01 at 20:33
While I'm an avid supporter of new technologies (while I realise that the DVD format is hardly new, they are only now starting to become popular in the UK), there is one thing that concerns me: the price of the movies.

Now I appreciate the fact that film companies have to make some money out of transferring their movies on to the DVD format; but is there really any need to charge so much for the discs?

I know that the picture and sound quality is better than standard VHS, but using the extra's argument to sell DVD's sometimes at more than £8 extra per disc than the cost of a VHS video seems rather extortionate.

My point is, that more often then not, the only extra's that are put on the disc are a documentary on why the film's director thought it was such a good film.. (oh, and on the odd occasion a deleted scene that was probably left out of the movie because it was so awful). This type of documentary are more often then not made at the time of filming (so to reduce costs) and often very short.

Furthermore, there are a lot of discs that have been released with no extras other then a scene selection and a interactive menu, (e.g. Pulp Fiction springs to mind). Wow.. that's great. That's worth 20 quid as well.

What would be nice to see, perhaps is a documentary with say Quentin Tarantino... post film reaction interviews with the cast. *Proper* *Exclusives* to the DVD format.

Now *that* would get people to buy the DVD's. That would get DVD players into home, and that would encourage more and more people to take the plunge in to the digital movie player.

Perhaps even making discs the same price as VHS, but hey, that's too much to ask, isn't it ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.