GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vocabulary"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/10/06 at 08:04
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
How impressed are you by someones vocabulary, if someone was to make exactly the same point yet in a more 'artful' way would it impress you more, or can you see through the 'big words'?
Thu 11/01/07 at 16:14
Regular
I have a large vocabulary but why make it difficult for others to understand you? I also use a wide variety of slang which is fun but most people online dont really understand what they are laughing at so nobody tends to use much slang here.
Thu 11/01/07 at 14:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
People also presume if one uses less common words, then they're only attempting to be condescending or arrogant. I use slightly different vocabulary from my friends and one in particular gets annoyed, because she thinks I'm trying to be superior when these are the words that I have naturally developed into using. It really annoys me.
Wed 10/01/07 at 22:48
Regular
"Author of Pain"
amandag wrote:
> i'm not impressed with long words - i would be more impressed if
> people spoke a different language.

So, being able to speak a foreign language impresses you, but someone who can speak english does not? To many people, much of the english language is completely alien to them, despite it being their first and often only language.

The other day I tried vainly to convince some people at work (accountants no less) that 'chicanery' is not a difficult and exotic word. You'd have thought I'd asked them to use a word from some bizarre Indian dialect as a password to one of their files.

To me it's an every day word.

The problem isn't 'big' words, either. It's just words which aren't common, and part of the 500 or so words that most people manage to get by using for most of their everyday lives. It's not a matter of how many consecutive syllables you can string together, it is, as the subject of the thread sugests, merely an issue of vocabulary, and the fact that the vast majority of people are extraordinarily limited in what they an offer or understand.

I think it's quite shameful. And how can one be fluent in more than one language when they only really have a rudimentary grasp of their primary dialect?
Thu 04/01/07 at 20:10
Regular
"I may return"
Borat wrote:
> Was that a poke at me, Sunshine?

I don't poke, I pinch :P
In another words no, I just didn't think you knew the meaning of the word brain.
Thu 04/01/07 at 20:07
Regular
Was that a poke at me, Sunshine?
Thu 04/01/07 at 20:05
Regular
"I may return"
Borat wrote:
> I would never use a word I didn't understand ...

Thats not true, look:

Borat wrote:
> brain

See...?
Thu 04/01/07 at 19:43
Regular
amandag wrote:
> i'm not impressed with long words - i would be more impressed if
> people spoke a different language.

Indeed I'd like to learn another language, still considering giving it a go, I so missed out when I spent 8 hours a day in me car ... could have learnt it on CD instead of killing my brain with dance music :)

> Do people who use long words always know what the mean?

I would never use a word I didn't understand ...
Thu 04/01/07 at 18:11
Regular
"I may return"
amandag wrote:
> At work loads of people use words that i don't know the meaning
> of.

You'll be surprised how many year 7s say that =P
Thu 04/01/07 at 18:01
Regular
"boofy them"
i'm not impressed with long words - i would be more impressed if people spoke a different language.
Do people who use long words always know what the mean?
At work loads of people use words that i don't know the meaning of. i prefer to be clear, concise and to the point. Long words can seem to go round the point a bit
Thu 04/01/07 at 16:29
Regular
"I may return"
Err, different but similar thing is proper terms. I have to explain sciency words to my friends :)

And big words... I laugh at them =)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.