GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you buy albums or just download MP3s?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/01/03 at 12:54
Regular
I want an honest answer here:

'Do you or do you not buy albums? If not do you just download songs?'

I'll be honest, I do have about 120 MP3s on my PC and quite a few of them are from albums I don't own but I do buy albums now...

After I got broadband I found the delights of downloading songs, I've downloaded loads of tracks from loads of different people but this in some ways has made me want to buy the albums...

I downloaded quite a few songs by Ash, I liked them all, so instead of just downloading loads more, I bought their 'Greatest Hits' album and it's really good. Without me downloading the songs I probably wouldn't have bought the album...

Same things applies to 'A' and 'The Music,' I liked some of their songs and I bought their albums, I wouldn't have done so if I wasn't able to download their songs...

Onto my MP3 collection, I've got a fair few songs here, not talking thousands like some people, probably about 40-50 songs, these are mainly 'one-offs' in which I liked the song when I heard it but didn't like any other songs...

I'd say that I am still supporting the bands/artists by buying their albums once I have heard what they're like, if I like them, I'll support them by buying their albums, if I don't I won't get anymore of their songs...

I'm not one of those people though who sit there and download entire albums off of KaZaa, I talked to one person last week who had nearly 1500 songs on his IPod, every one of them downloaded. He had sat there and gone through every band/artist/group he could think of and downloaded all of their seperate albums...

That's what is affecting the industry, people who do things like that. Or even worse, people who download the albums and sell them off for their own profit...
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:25
Regular
i do both and i copy the cd's which i borrowed off of my m8s
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:24
Both - And although I have a wide and varied taste in music I still think most albums have about 3 or 4 good songs and the rest are album fillers
Mon 27/01/03 at 19:11
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I download MP3s quite a lot but I also buy a lot of albums. I've only got about 50 or so MP3s on my PC at the moment though as not long ago my PC was wiped.

I never stop buying CDs though. Got 2 in the post at the moment and I'm just waiting for my mum's new credit card before I order some more.
Mon 27/01/03 at 16:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
i usually download a couple songs from the artists album. If i like what i hear i go out and buy the Album proper. Although i do have about 5 cd's of just compilations and stuff i've downloaded off the net
Mon 27/01/03 at 15:57
Regular
"cachoo"
I've got just under 300 MP3s. Some of them are ripped from cds though.
Mon 27/01/03 at 15:09
Regular
"Spanish Hardcore"
I haven't bought an Album since I got my PC on Christmas 2001 and I got broadband straight aweay with it aswell.

If I never had Broadband mI would be hopeless.
Mon 27/01/03 at 15:07
Regular
Buy albums that I like.
Just bought 3 today.

Get loads of mp3's but most are songs from albums I would never buy or have just heard on the off moment and then I'll go buy the album if I like what I hear.

Also there is a lot fo stuff (bootlegs in particular) remixes, covers, extended or different versions that are too hard to find in shops that the mp3's seem like the easy alternative.
Mon 27/01/03 at 14:48
Regular
I've got 400 MP3s (That I know of) and 32 CDs.
I tend to download songs before buying an album. Unless I really like the singer/band in the first place then I'll just go out and buy it.

Thing is I don't use the CDs, I'll buy them then rip the songs onto my hard drive because my CD player is crap and the PC sounds ten times better. Less messing around too, not having to switch CDs all the time.
Mon 27/01/03 at 13:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I have 5 MP3's that i listen to, i cycle through them. I never buy music.
Mon 27/01/03 at 12:54
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I want an honest answer here:

'Do you or do you not buy albums? If not do you just download songs?'

I'll be honest, I do have about 120 MP3s on my PC and quite a few of them are from albums I don't own but I do buy albums now...

After I got broadband I found the delights of downloading songs, I've downloaded loads of tracks from loads of different people but this in some ways has made me want to buy the albums...

I downloaded quite a few songs by Ash, I liked them all, so instead of just downloading loads more, I bought their 'Greatest Hits' album and it's really good. Without me downloading the songs I probably wouldn't have bought the album...

Same things applies to 'A' and 'The Music,' I liked some of their songs and I bought their albums, I wouldn't have done so if I wasn't able to download their songs...

Onto my MP3 collection, I've got a fair few songs here, not talking thousands like some people, probably about 40-50 songs, these are mainly 'one-offs' in which I liked the song when I heard it but didn't like any other songs...

I'd say that I am still supporting the bands/artists by buying their albums once I have heard what they're like, if I like them, I'll support them by buying their albums, if I don't I won't get anymore of their songs...

I'm not one of those people though who sit there and download entire albums off of KaZaa, I talked to one person last week who had nearly 1500 songs on his IPod, every one of them downloaded. He had sat there and gone through every band/artist/group he could think of and downloaded all of their seperate albums...

That's what is affecting the industry, people who do things like that. Or even worse, people who download the albums and sell them off for their own profit...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.