GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you buy albums or just download MP3s?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/01/03 at 12:54
Regular
I want an honest answer here:

'Do you or do you not buy albums? If not do you just download songs?'

I'll be honest, I do have about 120 MP3s on my PC and quite a few of them are from albums I don't own but I do buy albums now...

After I got broadband I found the delights of downloading songs, I've downloaded loads of tracks from loads of different people but this in some ways has made me want to buy the albums...

I downloaded quite a few songs by Ash, I liked them all, so instead of just downloading loads more, I bought their 'Greatest Hits' album and it's really good. Without me downloading the songs I probably wouldn't have bought the album...

Same things applies to 'A' and 'The Music,' I liked some of their songs and I bought their albums, I wouldn't have done so if I wasn't able to download their songs...

Onto my MP3 collection, I've got a fair few songs here, not talking thousands like some people, probably about 40-50 songs, these are mainly 'one-offs' in which I liked the song when I heard it but didn't like any other songs...

I'd say that I am still supporting the bands/artists by buying their albums once I have heard what they're like, if I like them, I'll support them by buying their albums, if I don't I won't get anymore of their songs...

I'm not one of those people though who sit there and download entire albums off of KaZaa, I talked to one person last week who had nearly 1500 songs on his IPod, every one of them downloaded. He had sat there and gone through every band/artist/group he could think of and downloaded all of their seperate albums...

That's what is affecting the industry, people who do things like that. Or even worse, people who download the albums and sell them off for their own profit...
Fri 07/02/03 at 18:17
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Items arriving within a week is not a classy delivery system! A classy delivery system gets you what you want within 2-3 days if they use standard 1st class postage. I ordered three 12"s from a small place called Boomkat on Wednesday night, I got them this morning. That's classy.
Fri 07/02/03 at 18:16
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Items arriving within a week is not a classy delivery system! A classy delivery system gets you what you want within 2-3 days if they use standard 1st class postage. I ordered three 12"
Thu 06/02/03 at 12:33
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Fair enough about the DVD's. But, when I get CD's from them, they seem to come in pristine condition, at an average price of a Tenner, and the package comes within the week.

I can only assume it's different with bigger packages like DVD's.
Thu 06/02/03 at 11:43
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
When I rant my grammar/spelling really goes to pot...
Thu 06/02/03 at 11:42
"Darkness, always"
I've sold over 2000 albums at half retail value.

*strokes CD burner*
Thu 06/02/03 at 11:41
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Are you kidding? Play have become a total joke. I buy A LOT of DVDs, I stopped counting when I reached 300. A lot of these used to come from Play becaue in their early days they were exceptional. There was once or twice where I'd order something at lunch time and it'd be here the next day - no more it seems.

I've had orders lost and in those situations they were average in the end. However, I ordered the big James Bond DVD collection in December and because of their shoddy packaging the box arrived totally distroyed. It had been bent and dented because they'd provided absolutely no packaging for it whatsoever. It was shipped in the flimsy brown cardboard box they receive them in - not any of that fancy corrogated card either, just barely-thicker-than-paper stuff. I was told it wasn't their fault and they'd take no responsibility.

Their prices are never that great anymore wither. Okay, you can find one or two back catelogue titles at a discount, but generally if you take a few minutes to look around you'll beat their prices. Add to this that their shipping times are now abysmal and because they ship from Belgium you can get charged tax on boxsets and they're pretty rubbish.

Cd-Wow, on the other hand, are fantastic. Despite the fact they're in the East I still get stuff as quickly, if not quicker, from them. They're prices are always exceptional and you NEVER get taxed with things they send you.
Thu 06/02/03 at 01:52
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
---Expletive Deleted wrote:
---Providing I haven't heard something from a particular Artist from
---his
---new album, I'll download 2 or 3 songs before I buy the album; and I
---WILL buy it in most cases.

I thought you Scouser's all got the five-fingered discount? ;-p
--------------

Lol, you cheeky git. :P

---I get all my albums from CD-WOW - I really don't mind paying
--- £8.99 for an album, as I think that's a fair price.
---------------

So cd-wow is ok then? I've always thought of using them (and have an account with 'em), but I didn't now what they were like. I assume they're not as good as play.com, as Play have just THE classiest delivery system ever, and the CD's come in pristine condition.
Wed 05/02/03 at 17:46
Regular
"Couldn't Give a stu"
I Buy CD and I download MP3's
Wed 05/02/03 at 12:00
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I pretty much always end up buying an album if I liked the mp3s because, as someone else said, you can pick up for albums for less than a tenner now so its a fair price.

That said, I quite often by albums/singles on vinyl for DJing with. Now I could connect the desks up to the PC and rip these to mp3 myself to create a CD for in-car listening, but that's a lot of work. So there's loads of times I'll end up paying full price for the album and then downloading it anyway :)
Tue 04/02/03 at 18:48
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Having bought over 500 odd CDs at about £12 a pop over the last 10 years or so, I'd say I'm quite within my rights to download a few MP3 tracks and burn them to CD. However, if I'm in a record shop and see something I want, I won't go, ooh, I'll go home and download that tonight, I'll just buy it. There's a difference between using it for convinience and using it for piracy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.