GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Tech Problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/09/05 at 14:27
Regular
My friend's son has a PS2 (my old one, one of the first ones). But they have started to have problems with it, as only some of the games will load up?

I have tried using one of those CD laser cleaner things, which hasnt made any difference. I then thought maybe the disks were scratched, and maybe that was the cause. I checked the disks there were a few marks on them, but nothing significant. So I then tried one of the games that didnt work on my PS2 (slimline), and it worked fine. So now I'm at a loss as to what might be the cause.

If anyone can shed any light onto this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.
Wed 21/09/05 at 21:33
"High polygon count"
But like I said, you only hear the complaints. Think of the millions who have had no problems - you don't hear from those.

I think the failure rate was once quoted at around 5%, which is pretty much average for electronics.

As I said, I have 2 PS2s, neither with any faults. But I have one Xbox with 3 faults. Which is the shoddier machine in my experience?

I don't deny that people here have had problems with one or more machines, but to label them as "sh**" isn't justified.
Wed 21/09/05 at 21:14
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Quite a few people on here have complained of problems, I think some managed to actually get through more PS2's than I have.

Obviously not every single machine is going to be faulty, but you have to admit, the numbers are very high.
Wed 21/09/05 at 21:05
"High polygon count"
Chr1s wrote:
> In conclusion, the build quality of PS2's, old or slimline, is sh**.

In conclusion, you're just unlucky.

Think of the millions of machines that have been sold. You hear about the relatively small number of faulty machines because you're on the net, but you don't hear about the countless millions of very happy customers.

I've purchased two PS2 consoles, one original launch machine and one new slimline version. Both have been completely problem-free. If the build quality was "sh**", I'd expect at least one of them to have exhibited some fault.
Wed 21/09/05 at 20:33
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Try turning it up on it's side. Don't know why but it sometimes works, especially if the game freezes it usually frees it up.
Wed 21/09/05 at 17:26
Regular
"The definitive tag"
My first PS2 started to show faults within a year of me getting it. I bought it in August 2001, so it wasn't a launch machine but it was still the time when few had them and they were very expensive. By about May 2002, it had started to screw me around and had completely fooked up by late 2002.

I got my second one for Christmas 2002 and that one packed up earlier this year. I've now got a slimline and I might have to send it back because it could possibly melt.

In conclusion, the build quality of PS2's, old or slimline, is sh**.
Wed 21/09/05 at 15:17
"High polygon count"
Jive wrote:
> I don't know what you people do with your consoles but it does amaze
> me how many seem to get broken.

I have to agree.

I bought a new slimline PS2 simply because I wanted one, but I still have my original launch machine and it still works perfectly.

Unlike my Xbox, in which the HD failed and needed replacing.
Wed 21/09/05 at 15:02
Regular
My brother had to get his fixed by sending it back to a Sony repair center. The guarantee had expired so he had to pay £75 for the repair (quite ridiculous). Anyway, now that the PS2 is so much cheaper, I imagine repairs are also cheaper, but if they're still charging £75, it'd be best to get a slimline PSTwo for the extra £20.
Wed 21/09/05 at 14:17
Regular
So if it's just a general problem, of an old machine just not wanting to work properly, can they be repaired cheaply? and if so where can I get it fixed?

Cheers,
Rob.
Wed 21/09/05 at 11:08
Regular
My first was a video output issue, my second was a power supply issue, mt last two were both CD tracking problems. Althought he posts earlier do read like it was all drive problems, so I should have been clearer.

I could turn mine on now and it would run San Andreas fine too as it's on DVD, but it wouldn't play any blue backed CD fine and a fair few of the older games are on these.
Wed 21/09/05 at 09:15
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Bonus wrote:
> Being a PS2 owner since launch

Being a PS2 owner since launch day too, I'm still on my original model, nothing has gone wrong with it, every game that I play .. plays on it, I've never had to clean it, hoover it out .. polish or wax it.

I hadn't played on my PS2 for about 4 or 5 months, been sat under my TV gathering dust until last night, fired it up .. put in GTA SA and it worked.

I don't know what you people do with your consoles but it does amaze me how many seem to get broken.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.