GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Tech Problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/09/05 at 14:27
Regular
My friend's son has a PS2 (my old one, one of the first ones). But they have started to have problems with it, as only some of the games will load up?

I have tried using one of those CD laser cleaner things, which hasnt made any difference. I then thought maybe the disks were scratched, and maybe that was the cause. I checked the disks there were a few marks on them, but nothing significant. So I then tried one of the games that didnt work on my PS2 (slimline), and it worked fine. So now I'm at a loss as to what might be the cause.

If anyone can shed any light onto this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.
Tue 20/09/05 at 14:27
Regular
My friend's son has a PS2 (my old one, one of the first ones). But they have started to have problems with it, as only some of the games will load up?

I have tried using one of those CD laser cleaner things, which hasnt made any difference. I then thought maybe the disks were scratched, and maybe that was the cause. I checked the disks there were a few marks on them, but nothing significant. So I then tried one of the games that didnt work on my PS2 (slimline), and it worked fine. So now I'm at a loss as to what might be the cause.

If anyone can shed any light onto this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.
Tue 20/09/05 at 14:28
Regular
PS2s are cheaply made rubbish, that's the problem.
Tue 20/09/05 at 15:14
Regular
Its true and unfortunate that some of the older models are gradually failing. I had a launch machine which I've now had to replace. First the DVDs went, then the blue disc PS2 games, then the DVD PS2 games even started to skip a little. Eventually it needed a slimline PS2 which now makes it all work fine.
Tue 20/09/05 at 19:45
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Bonus wrote:
> PS2s are cheaply made rubbish, that's the problem.

Oh dear, there's always one isn't there.
Tue 20/09/05 at 22:55
Regular
Jive wrote:
> Bonus wrote:
> PS2s are cheaply made rubbish, that's the problem.
>
> Oh dear, there's always one isn't there.

Being a PS2 owner since launch and having 3 refurbished models and the original one all swapped, I'd say it was fair that the DVD drives in the PS2 are cheap rubbish.

The problem with them is tracking issues, and this is a common occurence on cheap PC DVD drives, I see a link there :).
Wed 21/09/05 at 07:27
Regular
It was also an issue with Xbox Thomson drives. Philips weren't bad, but if you could get hold of a Samsung drive, it was worth voiding the warranty to replace it.
Wed 21/09/05 at 07:36
Regular
"\\"
But that's only one in three that's a bit naff (and having had one myself. I had no problems with it at all).

PS2s are generally just all rubbishy.
Wed 21/09/05 at 07:41
Regular
On the contrary - while I have no arguments about yours, or other people's experiences, I never had a problem with a PS2. Never had one with an Xbox either, come to think of it.

The last console problem I had was with my first-gen PS1 - which knackered up because I chipped it.
Wed 21/09/05 at 08:05
Regular
"\\"
I've only ever had two Mega Drives feck up on me.

That's it really.
Wed 21/09/05 at 09:09
Regular
Oh yeah, there was one time when I swapped my Mega Drive for a SNES, set it all up, played F-Zero for about 5 minutes then the damn thing imploded and started smoking like hell.

I hated the 'no swaps back' rule then :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.